Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Well I finally got my flange out

The ongoing rear wheel bearing saga continues. I tried Sunday to get the flange off without pulling the hub .....but no go.I actually messed up three lugnuts and my flange. I figured out today what happened, when I put the large bearing separator behind the flange and tried to use the lug nuts to pull the flange forward it shifted. Onde side dropped behind the shoulder and this caused the bolts to get cross threaded. I tried it again today with longer bolts.....wow are 14X1.5 threaded bolts hard to come by locally. I got some longer ones and chased the threads on my flange and it came out easy as pie. Of course the bearing separated and race is on the flange while the rest is still in the hub......I wish I had access to a SIR B90-3 tool to finish this job....the rear bearing is in there tight....I have yet to be able to move it using the Harbour Freight tool

THanks for letting me rant

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

Garage
I used for my rear wheel bearings two cheap tool sets from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0051O4BZK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 is similar to the SIR tool. It pulls the hub, extracts the outer race and reinstalls the new bearing. The long threads are included in that set. With the tool it was an easy job. Don't forget to cool down the bearing in your frig and heat the hub with some hot air prior to installation. And it helps to heat the hub before you pull the outer race...

The separation of the inner race from the flange was the most difficult job. I used such tool: http://www.amazon.de/Lagerabzieher-Trennmesser-Abzieher-Werkzeug-Satz/dp/B001G4R818. It still was difficult on one side.
Sorry the descriptions are in German. But I'm quite sure you find similar tools in US at most likely better prices. I paid around 50 € each. Quality is not fantastic, but they make the job for a couple of bearings.

Good luck

Last edited by hemonu; 03-03-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typos corrected
hemonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Yep, rear bearings are a pain. We did one trackside a few years ago with all the right tools, now I don't mind paying a shop to do it. I don't have a proper torque wrench to torque the axle nut and removing the bearing race from the hub requires patience and skill.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 AM   #4

using a press or sir tool will make your job a lot easier .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #5

Yes it would

Anyone want to loan me a Sir tool for a week or so ?

I will happily pay shipping
Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #6

Garage
Seriously, it is not a big job to remove the carriers from the car and use a hydraulic press to take the bearings out and put the new ones and hubs in. You will do as you see fit but afterward I want you to honestly tell me whether you would do this job again with a Sir Tool.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

you can pick up a H.F. press (a lot cheaper than the SIR) for short money . it will be easy at this point to remove the carrier . save yourself the misery and damaging the new bearings .
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Jacabean
Great post about using a H.F. press.Thanks.
I hate being trapped into buying expensive ,single-purpose tools.
We need a Harbor freight Interchange guide for all the tools required for this job.
Hemonu kindly posted a link to Amazon for a generic puller set that looks just like some available from HF.
One is a simple bearing driver set
The other is a bearing puller
Anyone know of another USA kit that works ?
10pc Auto Axle Bearing Race Seal Driver Master Set Replace Bearing Races Kit | eBay
Large Bearing Seperater Puller Removal Splitter Tool Separator Removing Kit | eBay
Pro 10 Ton Hydraulic Gear Jaw Puller Bearing Seperator Puller Tool Set Kit | eBay
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

I have the Harbour Freight tool, but I cannot get the bearing to budge at this point. I used the new bearing to be sure of the correct size for the rear plate. I sprayed the front of the bearing with PB Blaster yesterday. ...will see if it will budge tonight.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Jacabean
Great post about using a H.F. press.Thanks.
I hate being trapped into buying expensive ,single-purpose tools.
We need a Harbor freight Interchange guide for all the tools required for this job.
Hemonu kindly posted a link to Amazon for a generic puller set that looks just like some available from HF.
One is a simple bearing driver set
The other is a bearing puller
Anyone know of another USA kit that works ?
10pc Auto Axle Bearing Race Seal Driver Master Set Replace Bearing Races Kit | eBay
Large Bearing Seperater Puller Removal Splitter Tool Separator Removing Kit | eBay
Pro 10 Ton Hydraulic Gear Jaw Puller Bearing Seperator Puller Tool Set Kit | eBay
I think some people are missing the point of the Sir tool; using it, you can change out the bearings on both sides of the car in less time that it takes to pull one upright out and take it out with a press. No alignment is required after a bearing change. Most of the Sir tool kits include adaptors that allow the tool to work and a wide variety of makes and models, making the tool extremely flexible for different applications.

Once you have done some Porsche wheel bearings with the Sir tool, you will never go back to taking the car apart and using a press; in a shop, you could not afford to.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have the Harbour Freight tool, but I cannot get the bearing to budge at this point. I used the new bearing to be sure of the correct size for the rear plate. I sprayed the front of the bearing with PB Blaster yesterday. ...will see if it will budge tonight.
Once again: If you heat the hub with a heat gun (5-10 min) it gets easier. Hub is aluminum and will grow more than the steel bearing.

Herbert
hemonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I think some people are missing the point of the Sir tool; using it, you can change out the bearings on both sides of the car in less time that it takes to pull one upright out and take it out with a press. No alignment is required after a bearing change. Most of the Sir tool kits include adaptors that allow the tool to work and a wide variety of makes and models, making the tool extremely flexible for different applications.

Once you have done some Porsche wheel bearings with the Sir tool, you will never go back to taking the car apart and using a press; in a shop, you could not afford to.
The SIR tool is the way to go but it is a pricey tool . you can buy a press for a 100 bucks ! A little more work on the car by going the press route but it can also be used for many other things that the SIR tool can't . If mr Pdwight went the press route to begin with he would not be in the situation he is in . I understand that we need to get things done with the least amount of expense possible and the press will do that .
Old 03-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
The SIR tool is the way to go but it is a pricey tool . you can buy a press for a 100 bucks ! A little more work on the car by going the press route but it can also be used for many other things that the SIR tool can't . If mr Pdwight went the press route to begin with he would not be in the situation he is in . I understand that we need to get things done with the least amount of expense possible and the press will do that .
The way he tried to do this was never going to work. If he borrowed, or rented, the SIR tool, he would have been done a long time ago.

I have both a large press and the SIR system, and the press rarely gets used because it simply takes too much time and creates additional work in the process.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #14

I will eventually get this done, at least the car is locked in my garage out of the weather. I probably should have gone with a SIR tool to begin with....but after the first of the year and property taxes and being out of work for 4 months this summer ....well money is tight.

I will try heat next and see, I have a very good high end heat gun that is very controllable...I am really trying to avoid a realignment as the only shop that does it right here locally charges $400 + for that.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
I will eventually get this done, at least the car is locked in my garage out of the weather. I probably should have gone with a SIR tool to begin with....but after the first of the year and property taxes and being out of work for 4 months this summer ....well money is tight.

I will try heat next and see, I have a very good high end heat gun that is very controllable...I am really trying to avoid a realignment as the only shop that does it right here locally charges $400 + for that.
Did you look into renting the B90?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #16

Where ? , the threads I saw for renting were all 2 to 5 years old
Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Look at post 14 in this thread, that you started

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55702-warmer-weather-coming-almost-time-replace-rear-wheel-bearings.html

Will be happy to lend it to you.

Last edited by Meir; 03-04-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #18

Quote:
I would check with local shops that rent automotive specialty tools. Not everyone can afford or even justify owning the full B90 Master set at nearly $600, so it is good rental candidate.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #19

Garage
Are you certain you are using the right adapter on the back? I just did this the other day with the HF kit and it pulls out easily. When the bearing is inserted, it rests against a ridge at the inside to keep it in place. I suspect you are using an adapter that is too large and is trying to pull the wheel carrier, not the bearing itself.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #20

I will try later this week as time and temperatures get better (also my finger I smashed at work today). I also have a first class heat gun that I can get the aluminum bub temp up and see if that gets it out.