Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Does anyone bought reservoir tank Boxster 99 from CARPARTSWHOLESALE

Does anyone bought reservoir tank for Boxster 99 from CARPARTSWHOLESALE??? Great or bad parts??? They cheap too.

Hodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The coolant tank is not something you want to go cheap on. They are a total PITA to replace if you DIY, or expensive if you pay a mechanic ($4-600), and those inexpensive tanks tend not to last very long. I know the OEM ones are expensive, but it's not a job you want to do twice.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This was posted in your previous thread. It is still true:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z View Post
DO NOT get the cheap after market one. I made the same mistake and ended up changing the tank 3 times because the first 2 were crap. They can't hold pressure and leaking.
The only think that came out of me buying that crappy tank is that now I can replace one in just over an hour.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Hell, for $69.95 why not buy four or five of them. Over the time that an OEM one would last, you can get REALLY good at installing them.

As has been said many times, the cheap ones often have badly sealed seams, inferior materials, and misaligned parts. If I bought one, I would EXPECT it to have problems or fail prematurely. Of course, you could get lucky.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ LOL, not to mention the price of replacing the coolant every time.

FYI, when you do the replacement, do not mix different types of coolant. If you switch coolants make sure you thoroughly flush the system with distilled water first. Mixed coolants tend to gel and cause all kinds of problems.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Ok thanks for the infos
Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #7

Buy Porsche on this!!!!!

Don't make the same mistake I did. I got more inexpensive one and fought with it for over a year (would not seal around the vent, caps didn't fit right, and eventually it leaked) and I had to do the replacement again (a real PIA). I got mine from **************************************************** and have been much happier.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

Ok, have to ask. Why is there not an aluminum aftermarket item for replacement that won't split its seams?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Ok, have to ask. Why is there not an aluminum aftermarket item for replacement that won't split its seams?
Good question. May or may not work. I had a Fiat X 1/9 years ago. The expansion tank was brass or copper. Known weakness. It failed with a small pinhole right on the bottom like the Porsche ones do. Would have to be made non magnetic so the low level switch would work though.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Cost. We priced out having them fabricated years back, way too expensive to be practical.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Good question. May or may not work. I had a Fiat X 1/9 years ago. The expansion tank was brass or copper. Known weakness. It failed with a small pinhole right on the bottom like the Porsche ones do. Would have to be made non magnetic so the low level switch would work though.
Monty,

I also had several X1/9's and really love them, but grew older (and heavier) and do not longer fit comfortably in it.

The expansion tank on the X1/9 that you are talking about are made of stainless steel and worked great! Still have one somewhere on my garage
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Monty,

I also had several X1/9's and really love them, but grew older (and heavier) and do not longer fit comfortably in it.

The expansion tank on the X1/9 that you are talking about are made of stainless steel and worked great! Still have one somewhere on my garage
Was yours a replacement? Mine I'm sure was brass, turned a nice moss green where the hole formed. Don't think SS would have corroded. But yes that was a really fun car to drive.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #13

I did a write-up on this with photos some time ago.
The leaks are the least of the problems with these badly made tanks.
Some have ports/nipples that are blind.Yup - they do not have a hole that leads back to the coolant tank. You can imagine the problems....
Buy only from a source with a no dicker return policy - Pelican for example. No EBay !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #14

Thanks guys... The mechanic cancel my appointment today, This morning I followed a link a member have sent to me about pull the valve up and run the car for few days maybe there is air in the system! I pup up with distilled water! It seems almost good, after driving it I saw a small water from the tank but not a lot than before, maybe need a bit air purge again.
Happy to follow you guys..
Old 04-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #15

I have a question... After driving with valve up to purge the air do I have to put the Valve off when I park? Or do I have to leave it like that until no coolant leaking? Because every driving I put down the D. Thanks