Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #1

Cayman S wheels on 987S (track ready...)

Just got my new (takeoff) Cayman S wheels and had Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires mounted (225/40/18 and 265/35/18) - ready for the track this weekend. Just thought I'd share the photo in case anyone is interested what the 987 looks like with Cayman S wheels. I know one thing - they'll be FAR easier to clean than my 19" Carrera S wheels!

EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #2

Looks Great!!!

Just curious why you went from 19's to 18's? Do you notice any differance in handling or ride?
smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith12895
Looks Great!!!

Just curious why you went from 19's to 18's? Do you notice any differance in handling or ride?
Long story, actually...

Last time at the track, 12 of us had rented Buttonwillow for the day. By the time I finally felt comfortable at this track I had never previously driven on, I noticed a blister on my sidewall (19" PS2's) and everybody at the track said 'do NOT drive on that at all!'. The track tire shop had no 19's at all, and I was about 20 miles from Bakersfield.

I couldn't drive the car, so I had to get towed to Bakersfield but while waiting I checked all the tire shops to see who had a single 19" 235/35/19 tire - not a one. Most places were 3-4 days, which didn't help me much at all, and one place said he could get me one the next day if I prepaid for it, which I did. Luckily I didn't have to be home until late the next evening, but I DID have to be in LA earlier that next evening (home after that) so it was a MUST that I get my tire fixed and back on the road by 3:00.

Of course, I, with my 987S, was not at ALL aided by my stupid can of foam and air compressor, and even the Porsche dealership in Bakersfield didn't have anything for me - no spare wheels, no spare tires, no spare donuts, nothing. What good is a can of foam when your sidewall splits?? Ridiculous.

:ah:

Anyway, so I got a rental car for the day and went back to the hotel to wait until the next day at noon when the tire arrives on the truck. I call at noon and was told that the truck came, but the tire was not on it. Fantastic. I figured I had to rent the car for a couple more days and then drive the 3 hours back when someone finally finds a tire for my car, return the rental, and drive home. I asked if this fellow would call around to any of the contacts he had locally to see if anyone has a 19" PS2 around. One small tire shop actually had two of the non-N-rated version and I told him to take the car there and I'd get both (have to match, obviously). $740 later (yup) I had two new tires and could finally drive home.

It was because of this that I swore off 19" rubber when driving the track, so I decided to go with an 18" wheelset for the track. Since I was getting different wheels, I figured I might as well just buck it up and go for track rubber as well, putting R compounds on instead, and moving up to KI class in Porsche Owners Club.

This will be my first track event with 18's on this car, but I'll have R compounds on them, so I won't be doing apples to apples comparison - 19" wheels with street tires versus 18" wheels with R compounds.

Sorry you asked?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #4

That should be fun! Let us know how it goes, I'm sure there's not a lot of 987's out there running on R-compound yet--hopefully the car can handle the stress.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #5

Great looking wheels, nice improvement.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Great looking wheels, nice improvement.

Improvement? Hey now! I love my Carrera S wheels!!!

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #7

Actually, I like the Carrera wheels more. Maybe because they're 19s, they fill the wheelwells a bit better to my eye.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #8

Sorry, just a taste issue. I hate those stock Box wheels.

To each his own!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Sorry, just a taste issue. I hate those stock Box wheels.

To each his own!
Those aren't the stock Box wheels, the stock Box wheels are 18's and are like mini-lobster-forks, not the Carrera S wheels.

The wheel wells in the 987 are much bigger than the 986, or so it seems, and 19's really look better matched, even if you lower your car a bit.

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #10

My Cayman S takeoff wheels (for track/autocross use) just arrived at my home today. The wheels were immediately pulled from the Cayman before delivery to the owner so they are brand spanking new.

It looks like I'll be pulling the OE Michelin Pilot Sport2's and putting on 245/40-18 and 275/35-18 Nitto NT 01's or possibly the same size combo with Toyo RA1's. My other option would be to shave the PS2's down to 5/32's if there isn't too much grit in the tread from delivery miles. However, once you go with R compounds it's hard to go back to street tires for competition use.

I'm interested to see the difference in handling dynamics with the 18's but personally I think 987's look better with 19" wheels. I like my Carrera S wheels but I think all the Porsche OE options are sweet.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
My Cayman S takeoff wheels (for track/autocross use) just arrived at my home today. The wheels were immediately pulled from the Cayman before delivery to the owner so they are brand spanking new.

It looks like I'll be pulling the OE Michelin Pilot Sport2's and putting on 245/40-18 and 275/35-18 Nitto NT 01's or possibly the same size combo with Toyo RA1's. My other option would be to shave the PS2's down to 5/32's if there isn't too much grit in the tread from delivery miles. However, once you go with R compounds it's hard to go back to street tires for competition use.

I'm interested to see the difference in handling dynamics with the 18's but personally I think 987's look better with 19" wheels. I like my Carrera S wheels but I think all the Porsche OE options are sweet.
So you are doing the exact same thing as I? 19" Carrera S wheels for the street, and 18" Cayman S wheels with R-compounds for competition? Certainly you have good taste, then...

What did you pay for your takeoffs? These are light wheels, aren't they? I was surprised...

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 04-05-2006, 05:16 AM   #12

Yes, I have the same wheelsets as you. If you search my posts you can see my car with the 19" Carrera S wheels. I will take pics of the car with the Cayman S wheels when I finally mount them on the car.

I paid $2,000 plus the shipping for the absolutely brand new wheel/tire set with Michelin PS2's. I know that Wheel Enhancement had a waiting list for Cayman S take off wheel sets and they wanted over $2,500 plus shipping for new Cayman S wheels without tires. I think I got a fair deal.

The wheels are fairly light for the money compared to some aftermarket forged options. Wheel Enhancement has the weights for the various wheels if anyone needs the info. I understand that the front wheels of the 18" Boxster S wheels are actually a little lighter than the Cayman S wheel but I like the Cayman S wheels much better.

Last edited by Carl AMG; 04-05-2006 at 05:19 AM.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
Yes, I have the same wheelsets as you. If you search my posts you can see my car with the 19" Carrera S wheels. I will take pics of the car with the Cayman S wheels when I finally mount them on the car.

I paid $2,000 plus the shipping for the absolutely brand new wheel/tire set with Michelin PS2's. I know that Wheel Enhancement had a waiting list for Cayman S take off wheel sets and they wanted over $2,500 plus shipping for new Cayman S wheels without tires. I think I got a fair deal.

The wheels are fairly light for the money compared to some aftermarket forged options. Wheel Enhancement has the weights for the various wheels if anyone needs the info. I understand that the front wheels of the 18" Boxster S wheels are actually a little lighter than the Cayman S wheel but I like the Cayman S wheels much better.
You should be able to sell the PS2's for a decent price, probably knock off $300-500 from the total you paid.

Saw a fellow on Boxster Racing Board who was selling a fantastic 18" CCR set with used Pirelli Corsas for only $900 - where was he 2 weeks ago???

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport