View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
EPIQTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith12895
Looks Great!!!

Just curious why you went from 19's to 18's? Do you notice any differance in handling or ride?
Long story, actually...

Last time at the track, 12 of us had rented Buttonwillow for the day. By the time I finally felt comfortable at this track I had never previously driven on, I noticed a blister on my sidewall (19" PS2's) and everybody at the track said 'do NOT drive on that at all!'. The track tire shop had no 19's at all, and I was about 20 miles from Bakersfield.

I couldn't drive the car, so I had to get towed to Bakersfield but while waiting I checked all the tire shops to see who had a single 19" 235/35/19 tire - not a one. Most places were 3-4 days, which didn't help me much at all, and one place said he could get me one the next day if I prepaid for it, which I did. Luckily I didn't have to be home until late the next evening, but I DID have to be in LA earlier that next evening (home after that) so it was a MUST that I get my tire fixed and back on the road by 3:00.

Of course, I, with my 987S, was not at ALL aided by my stupid can of foam and air compressor, and even the Porsche dealership in Bakersfield didn't have anything for me - no spare wheels, no spare tires, no spare donuts, nothing. What good is a can of foam when your sidewall splits?? Ridiculous.

:ah:

Anyway, so I got a rental car for the day and went back to the hotel to wait until the next day at noon when the tire arrives on the truck. I call at noon and was told that the truck came, but the tire was not on it. Fantastic. I figured I had to rent the car for a couple more days and then drive the 3 hours back when someone finally finds a tire for my car, return the rental, and drive home. I asked if this fellow would call around to any of the contacts he had locally to see if anyone has a 19" PS2 around. One small tire shop actually had two of the non-N-rated version and I told him to take the car there and I'd get both (have to match, obviously). $740 later (yup) I had two new tires and could finally drive home.

It was because of this that I swore off 19" rubber when driving the track, so I decided to go with an 18" wheelset for the track. Since I was getting different wheels, I figured I might as well just buck it up and go for track rubber as well, putting R compounds on instead, and moving up to KI class in Porsche Owners Club.

This will be my first track event with 18's on this car, but I'll have R compounds on them, so I won't be doing apples to apples comparison - 19" wheels with street tires versus 18" wheels with R compounds.

Sorry you asked?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote