Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

3M Dinoc or 1080 wrap

I'm thinking about wrapping my center console and door pocket lids with either Dinoc or 1080 wrap. I've seen a bunch of different sizes available and am wondering if anyone knows what size would be needed for the console. I'm sure a 12" wide sheet isn't enough but would 15" cover the width or do I need to go to the 24" wide sheet? Would 48" be enough for the length or should I go 60"? I've seen a lot of posts stating that 1080 is easier to work with, but does it look as good and is it as durable as the Dinoc? Thanks.

pussywillow1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

The excess would be nice to grip on while you're stretching the material. Anything more than gentle contour requires a bit of finess. I was going to do the short windscreen on my motorcycle but opted to pay a local guy so I could have the benefit of watching.

Really glad I did, and I have actually built a ton of model airplanes, so wrapping objects with thermo form film is not exactly a foreign concept to me.

The 3M dinoc was what I have on my bike and looks absolutely real.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

I would go with the 1080 over the dinoc as it stretches easier as it is not quite as thick. Either of them are durable as long as you do not scratch them with something sharp and they look the same. Considering how cheap the film is, I would get the 24" width as it is nice to have something to hold onto when stretching the film. There is 3m tape primer 94 that you might consider getting as well as is give extra adhesion and would be best used around the edges where the material is likely to want to pull up first as well as any concave areas you have to wrap. There is supposedly a new CF film that has a more realistic depth/gloss look to it like real CF parts do instead of the flat finish of the 1080 and dinoc...can't remember the brand off the top of my head though.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
I would go with the 1080 over the dinoc as it stretches easier as it is not quite as thick. Either of them are durable as long as you do not scratch them with something sharp and they look the same. Considering how cheap the film is, I would get the 24" width as it is nice to have something to hold onto when stretching the film. There is 3m tape primer 94 that you might consider getting as well as is give extra adhesion and would be best used around the edges where the material is likely to want to pull up first as well as any concave areas you have to wrap. There is supposedly a new CF film that has a more realistic depth/gloss look to it like real CF parts do instead of the flat finish of the 1080 and dinoc...can't remember the brand off the top of my head though.
As an industry professional, would you recommend spraying multiple clear coats over the 1080? If so, what type of chemical works on the 1080? I have durability and real CF look finish in mind. Doable?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
I bought my carbon fiber from these guys. Came out super nice!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&rmvSB=true&_ssn=robkuhn917x&item=131400317061&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC0.A0.H0&_nkw=Porsche+Boxster+986&_sacat=0

Great seller too. I only ordered 9 items from them and they through in a complete kit and refunded me $35. They also included a couple items you don't see listed which were covers for the rear view mirror and the sun visors.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-08-2015 at 06:37 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote