Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
So I did a CarFax on my car.

I bought my car with no prior maintenance history or PPI. Always wanted to know more about the car, so I ran a CarFax on it.

Looks like she was treated right by the previous owners.

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

This is definitely one of the more compete Carfax that I have seen. Many times when it come to service history Carfax is worthless. Interesting that the car had a good bit of service done at a Toyota dealer.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

Just to give you an idea how worthless my Carfax was, it had no mention of my replaced engine at 60,000 miles !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
This is definitely one of the more compete Carfax that I have seen. Many times when it come to service history Carfax is worthless. Interesting that the car had a good bit of service done at a Toyota dealer.
Yes it is. What really perked my interest is when I went to carfax.com and put my vin in it said it had 58 records on it. I was like oh no, but it wasn't bad stuff.

No mention of who swiped the Carrera Light wheels off it though.

EDIT: On the Toyota deal. You will notice the 2nd owner took the car to the one and only Porsche dealership in the area, Aristocrat Motors Inc. That owner only did it once after paying Porsche dealer service prices.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-05-2015 at 05:38 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
EDIT: On the Toyota deal. You will notice the 2nd owner took the car to the one and only Porsche dealership in the area, Aristocrat Motors Inc. That owner only did it once after paying Porsche dealer service prices.
LOL - I guess a $300 oil change will do that.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #6

I think that's a great report, but I would caution everybody that CarFax is not infallible. When I was in the process of buying my 01 S in May of 2012, I got the CarFax report that showed the vehicle as having four owners, no accidents and completely clean.

Last November, I changed insurance companies, and the new insurance company discovered a $2,000+ claim on the vehicle from October of 2011, six months prior to my ownership. I had to provide proof that my ownership was dated after the claim to complete the switch.

I've thought about contacting the PO to ask what happened just so I know and not to argue or complain, but I suspect if he kept it hidden during the sale he wouldn't want to admit it even now.

So I'm just offering that while CarFax is a great resource, it could be missing important information.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote