Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
A/C fan noise

I tried to do a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for, or I don't know the correct words to use.

When the AC or Heat is on in the car, there is a squeeking/chirping noise that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the car. The higher the fan speed the louder/faster the noise is.

I am sure there is a simple solution, but it is making me crazy. In a few months I will not be able to deal with Florida heat and no AC.

Any help?

__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,586
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
I tried to do a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for, or I don't know the correct words to use.

When the AC or Heat is on in the car, there is a squeeking/chirping noise that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the car. The higher the fan speed the louder/faster the noise is.

I am sure there is a simple solution, but it is making me crazy. In a few months I will not be able to deal with Florida heat and no AC.

Any help?
just take out the fan assembly and give it a good clean.
you can clean the blower with a dump rug, and spry the motor with some contact cleaner.
CRC QD Contact Cleaner Aerosol
taking the assembly out is easy. remove two bolts, disconnect the power connector, and drop it down.
let me know if you need some pics.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
just take out the fan assembly and give it a good clean.
you can clean the blower with a dump rug, and spry the motor with some contact cleaner.
CRC QD Contact Cleaner Aerosol
taking the assembly out is easy. remove two bolts, disconnect the power connector, and drop it down.
let me know if you need some pics.
I would love some pics. I don't even really know where the fan assembly is.

THANKS
__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,586
Garage
sure. that's easy.
let me get home and ill throw some pics.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 84
Also make sure to clean or change your cabin filter. That's probably how your blower got messed up in the first place. You can access the filter by removing the battery cover, then the cover right next to it on the passenger side.



You can actually see the blower after removing the filter. I had to reach down and clean up all the crud from all the crevices with a damp rag.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,586
Garage
newBgeek idea is not bad, and even easier to be done.

the harder way:

get to the passenger side, and look under the dash.
you will see a foam cover held in place with 2 plastic screws. remove them using a flat screwdriver.








remove the foam cover



remove ac vent.




remove 2 6mm screws from blower cover.



move the wires, and slide down the blower assembly.




now, when the assembly is on the car floor, disconnect the electric connector.





spray the motor and clean the fan using CRC contact cleaner.





put everything back in reverse order.
when installing the ac vent, start with the passenger outlet side.

good luck.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
newBgeek idea is not bad, and even easier to be done.

the harder way:

get to the passenger side, and look under the dash.
you will see a foam cover held in place with 2 plastic screws. remove them using a flat screwdriver.








remove the foam cover



remove ac vent.




remove 2 6mm screws from blower cover.



move the wires, and slide down the blower assembly.




now, when the assembly is on the car floor, disconnect the electric connector.





spray the motor and clean the fan using CRC contact cleaner.





put everything back in reverse order.
when installing the ac vent, start with the passenger outlet side.

good luck.
Thanks a ton. I will do this when I get home tonight!
__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
A/C fan noise

Ran into questions. 1st saw no ac Vent to remove. But that doesn't matter. I removed the screws from the blower cover but couldn't get the blower assembly out.

At this point I changed strategies and went through the battery area. Cleaned what I could, and put it back together.

I went to put the blower cover back on, and now it won't fit back together. What kind of contortionist do you have to be?

Is it different on a 2003 than your car?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,586
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
Ran into questions. 1st saw no ac Vent to remove. But that doesn't matter. I removed the screws from the blower cover but couldn't get the blower assembly out.

At this point I changed strategies and went through the battery area. Cleaned what I could, and put it back together.

I went to put the blower cover back on, and now it won't fit back together. What kind of contortionist do you have to be?

Is it different on a 2003 than your car?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the reason for the fan not sliding out, is the fact that the the wires (see pic 6) and the vent are holding it.
the ac vent is behind the dashboard.

if you removed the cover, make sure you slid it back in the correct orientation, as it can be reversed.

Last edited by Meir; 02-04-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,586
Garage
the ac vent i'm talking about is part No 4 in this diagram.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
This is what I have so far. I can't get the cover on because of the glove box support. And I still have no idea where that AC vent is. Lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
Well got it all back together. Still a little noisy, but much better. Will get a new filter and see if it helps. Otherwise I might have to take it in. I just couldn't get to the area well enough.

Unless there is someone in the area who knows the tricks. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,586
Garage
Yes, it does look a bit different.
I guess the glove box (which was introduced only in 03) makes it a bit different.
You are always welcome to drop by. After all you are only 4 hours away no?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Coffinhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 442
Garage
The sound is back with vengeance. Any other advice out there? Anyone with a 2003 (glovebox) ever had this issue and fixed it?

Thanks!

__________________
2003 Boxster S, 6-spd, Seal Grey/Grey top


Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page