Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

aos failure now car cranks once then nothing

today after the car wash my 98 boxster gives me a fit. tons of white smoke out the back and loss of power. i know that it has never been over heated and just recently serviced so im really leaning towards aos failure. now the car will only crank about a 1/4 turn then nothing almost like the starter is stuck? trying to figure out what i should look into first thanks in advanced for all the help.

kyporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I don't believe the wash had anything to do with it... unless you were spraying copious amount of water into the intake. My first guess is that your AOS went kaput. The first thing I would do is remove the tope AOS hose... give it an examination... see if it has a LOT of oil in it. A little is ok... a lot... I'd then pull the throttle body and see if it isn't flooded with oil. That may explain the no-start issue. Worst case sceanrio... you sucked a bunch of oil into the engine... and that'll require correction.

Do some searches on "white smoke 986 Boxster"... "AOS failure 986 Boxster"... you'll find of lots of information.

Keep us posted. You'll get through the hiccup.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #3

Garage
Be careful about turning over a motor thar could have cylinders full of liquids. If that is a conrn, remove the spark plugs and turn the motor over manually.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Be careful about turning over a motor thar could have cylinders full of liquids. If that is a conrn, remove the spark plugs and turn the motor over manually.
After removing the spark plugs, you can safely crank the engine using the starter.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Starter986;617504]I don't believe the wash had anything to do with it... unless you were spraying copious amount of water into the intake. My first guess is that your AOS went kaput. The first thing I would do is remove the tope AOS hose... give it an examination... see if it has a LOT of oil in it. A little is ok... a lot... I'd then pull the throttle body and see if it isn't flooded with oil. That may explain the no-start issue. Worst case sceanrio... you sucked a bunch of oil into the engine... and that'll require correction.

Do some searches on "white smoke 986 Boxster"... "AOS failure 986 Boxster"... you'll find of lots of information.

so the mechanic at my dealership got the car to start and now it sounds like the lifters are also toast, he quickly shut it down and we are going to move forward with examining the plugs and changing the aos
kyporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

[QUOTE=kyporsche;617551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I don't believe the wash had anything to do with it... unless you were spraying copious amount of water into the intake. My first guess is that your AOS went kaput. The first thing I would do is remove the tope AOS hose... give it an examination... see if it has a LOT of oil in it. A little is ok... a lot... I'd then pull the throttle body and see if it isn't flooded with oil. That may explain the no-start issue. Worst case sceanrio... you sucked a bunch of oil into the engine... and that'll require correction.

so the mechanic at my dealership got the car to start and now it sounds like the lifters are also toast, he quickly shut it down and we are going to move forward with examining the plugs and changing the aos

Man... I hope it's something simple like the AOS. Lifters toast? Keep us posted... we like closure.

Best wishes. Se you around.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
After removing the spark plugs, you can safely crank the engine using the starter.
While true, I'd recommend turning it over my hand first. Unless you want liquids shooting out the spark plug holes and spraying onto stuff you probably don't want it on
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
And you can inspect the spark plugs at the same time for oil etc.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyporsche View Post
Wow. I'd really like to know a lot more about what's going on...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #11

Garage
I'd certainly recommend at minimum a compression test before I changed the AOS.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyporsche View Post

Lifter failure?
That's odd, to say the least. Sometimes "a lifter" will fail. But for multiple lifters to fail simultaneously? That's odd. Really odd.

So in my mind I'm considering all of the scenarios I can think of that would result in that diagnosis.
If multiple lifters are bad, this suggests an oil pressure problem. So what might cause white smoke AND oil pressure issues? I'm struggling to come up with something plausible.

What I think IS unfortunately plausible, is that your mechanic suspects lifter failure because he did a compression check. However, the same symptoms could point to broken-bits, which is more consistent with the rest of your symptoms. ie: aos fails, motor ingests liquid oil and hydra-locks. This creates the "will only turn a 1/4 turn", assumption, and that 1/4 turn was enough to break hard parts.

I dunno.... I'm reaching here.

I sure want to know more about what he finds.

It's POSSIBLE that the white smoke and now 1/4 turn only are unrelated. ?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 05-24-2020 at 07:37 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 12:25 PM   #13
2002 Boxster

I'm having the same issue with my car. What did they ever find out from this post?
drakewylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:43 PM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakewylde View Post
I'm having the same issue with my car. What did they ever find out from this post?
I know I found out that the OP hasn't shared new information for more than 3 years.

/S