Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #1

How do I do a clutch fluid flush??

Just wondering if there were any articles on flushing the clutch fluid as I will be doing the brake fluid flush early next week. Or, if it is relatively straight foward, could someone tell me the procedure and also if you flush the clutch before or after flushing the brakes.

Jeff.

jeff740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #2

search for any posts related to brake fluid changes and you will have many, many posts on the subject.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:47 PM   #3

Hi,

It doesn't matter if you do the Brakes or the Clutch first. The Slave Cylinder has a Bleed Nipple, same as the Brake Calipers. You conect the Power Bleeder and then open the Bleed Niple on the Clutch Slave and l;et it run until there are no bubbles. But, be certain to fully depress the Clutch Pedal before opening the Bleed Nipple and hold it open with a Stick, or Ronzi's pwersonal fav - the Snowscraper. Hope this helps...

Happy Mototoring... Jim '99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #4

The clutch and brake lines are on separate circuits, but share a common reservoir. So it does not matter what you do first, but....

There is no vent tube to pinch off on a Box if you get confused by the Motive type instructions.

Never held the clutch pedal to the floor for a flush.

You bleed the RR caliper first. Then the LR caliper and since you have the wheel off, then you do the clutch at the same time.

Then the RF caliper, then the LF.

The bleed nipples on the calipers and the slave are not always the same size, just so you will know.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:43 AM   #5

Sounds great...however I will be using a buddy to flush my brakes and clutch. I was wondering if the clutch is flushed in the same manner as the brakes though. Do I depress the clutch then open the bleeder, and then close the bleeder and let go of the clutch and then do I have to pump the clutch again to build up pressure or something. Or is it simply push the clutch to the floor, open the bleeder and it will continue to run until I close the bleeder. I apologize in advance for the questions however im a little bit nervous about introducing air where it shouldnt be or ending up with a spongey clutch or something.

Also, where should I be looking for the clutch bleeder nipple and do I need to be all the way under the car to access it??

Jeff.
jeff740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #6

Hi,

I rarely find any disagreement with Tool Pants, but in this case, the Clutch Pedal should be fully depressed and held while flushing the Clutch Hydraulics.

Putting pressure behind the Master when connecting the Power Bleeder will cause the Clutch pedal to be moved by this pressure possibly damaging the Clutch Master. Here is a Quote straight from the Dealer Service Manual :

• " Before the system is Filled, or Bled, the Clutch Pedal must be in the " Pedal Fully Depressed" Position.
    IMPORTANT: Because there is no System Pressure, servo kinematic effects will cause the Clutch Pedal to move forward abruptly. In order to avoid damage, the Pedal must be guided manually. "

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-01-2006 at 07:39 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote