Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Got my new Soft Top installed

Well it finally happened.. couple of weeks ago I was in a rush early in the morning and without thinking I gave the plastic window a good "chop" in cold weather and I cracked the window. I am putting these pictures up for anyone debating about replacing their top. I could not find any good pictures of replacement tops and just had to take a leap of faith. I am very pleased with the results.

I purchased the top for $400 from AutoBerry. According to them this is the same German original material. As far as I can tell, it looks and feels like to original top.

I had the top installed by a local upholstery shop for $350.

rigofloresjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #2

That looks good. Nice, clean, tight install.

Looks like you got a deal!
Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #3

the top looks great. but a question i would have is how is the quality of the stitching? having owned a few convertibles, i have noticed on some of the less expensive tops the stitching starts to fray quickly. i am unsure if it ti due to friction caused by raising and lowereing of the top, or by deterioration caused by u/v light from sun exposure. please keep everyone informed how this top works out for you. a less expensive alternative would be a blessing for all of us here..
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #4

Really looks great!
The exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. Going to have to replace it here pretty quickly as the window is now 1/3 boxing tape. Debating replacing just the window or the whole top, as it's showing some wear but not worn out. That's a nice price you got on your job.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

What brand of top is it? The Autoberry website says that it is "Also an authorized EZOn dealer" but that implies they sell other brands.

I'm planning to bite the bullet in a few months and the consensus of most posts is that GAHH is the best, but that some other tops such as Robbins are the same top in a different box with a lower price.

Also, $350 appears to be a really good deal on the installation. I'm still researching places here in Virginia, but most of the quotes I've received are $600 or more. I'm considering doing it myself, but if there is a reasonable cost alternative, I'd rather save the wear and tear on my body.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Kevin,
Here's the link to the top.
www.autoberry.com
Choose the German material.
I also considered doing it myself, but decided I didn't want to take a chance and ruin the top. I got a couple quotes for $450, but ended up haggling a shop I've used before.

Retroman,
I too considered just replacing the window, my original top was in good condition, but I was told that it may leak from the original stitch holes.

Rdass,
In my opinion the top quality looks and feels OEM.

rigofloresjr is offline   Reply With Quote