Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
pjv

Garage
Disaster - rear-ended by hit and run driver

Looks like good-bye to my Boxster (2004, 78000 km)! Was driving home after a social gathering, at 9 pm was turning right, close to home, and was rear-ended by some maniac who immediately drove off. Fortunately some witnesses got his licence number so the police are on the case. Probably a drunk.

Damage is considerable, and the experts think it is a total loss. Is mostly left-hand rear side, with rear panels out of shape and suspension damage obvious (see photos).

After 4 years with the car, having IMS Solution installed, recent major service, and just having filled the tank (!), I am furious.

Take care out there, all of you

Last edited by pjv; 01-27-2015 at 02:13 AM.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 AM   #2
pjv

Garage
Photos

Now the pictures.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:30 AM   #3

Sorry about your accident. I would guaranty that would be a total loss here in the States. It sounds like you've put a lot into that car and imagine you'll hate to see it go. If that's the case, I say buy it back from the insurance company if they will give you a good price on it. The damage from the pictures doesn't look that bad. It doesn't look like the damage reached the main structure of the car. A good body man should be able to replace that 1/4 panel and have it good as new.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #4

Garage
This is really depressing, I wish you the very best moving forward with this.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

I'd go all Croc Dundee on dude, with that huge knife and snake skin duds and the works.

That sucks sooo bad. Really sorry to see that.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
I'd be furious too! That blows, sorry for your loss.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #7

Garage
Sorry you have to go thru this. Looks to me like it can be fully restored. It will need to be repaired using a "Celette" sp? chassis alignment jig to insure straightness. Hopefully they find the guilty driver to fund this project.
Worst case scenario you can part it out for big dollars or whatever it is you trade for down under. (duty free)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry for your loss. Definitely a total loss here in the States. Hope you get something just as nice or better to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
A good body man should be able to replace that 1/4 panel and have it good as new.
Please note that the rear quarter panels are not bolt on fenders like the fronts. Instead the rear quarter panel is part of the entire side of the car (it is seamless from the rear fender to the door opening and continues along the bottom splash panel under the doors to behind the front fender. This is done to add body strength because its a convertible with no roof structure).

The repair shop will have to plasma cut the rear quarter panel out (including creating a cut in the lower splash panel beneath the doors) and then custom cut a similar replacement piece and weld back in. Its not a trivial job but can be accomplished by a competent body shop.

Does the driver's door still work ok or has the door opening shape changed? Is there any change in how the top sits - is it bowed up at all? If so, then the chassis has been compromised.

I know all of this based on this experience: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43878-ahhh-my-car-hit-bad-today.html
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-27-2015 at 02:23 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #9

There are a lot of rollers just waiting for your engine. I had to junk my '99 with a perfect engine so I know what you are feeling. Took me 2 months to find its replacement. Start looking mate.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #10

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv View Post
Looks like good-bye to my Boxster (2004, 78000 km)! Was driving home after a social gathering, at 9 pm was turning right, close to home, and was rear-ended by some maniac who immediately drove off. Fortunately some witnesses got his licence number so the police are on the case. Probably a drunk.

Damage is considerable, and the experts think it is a total loss. Is mostly left-hand rear side, with rear panels out of shape and suspension damage obvious (see photos).

After 4 years with the car, having IMS Solution installed, recent major service, and just having filled the tank (!), I am furious.

I can feel your pain mate, bastards that hit and run like that need to have their balls cut off. Really hope they get the git.
Even if you can get that fixed mate forget about the car. Get the insurance money and if you can buy the car back cheap from insurance company and you have room, start wrecking it for parts. Buy another one, now at least you know what problematic things to lookout for. Really sorry for you, I too would be devastated, if it happened to my 986.

Where in Melbourne are you?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #11
pjv

Garage
Thanks everyone for the sympathy. It's only 48 hours since it happened, and so far have not heard anything further about the other driver, or the status of my car. Things could have been worse, as I was already into the right turn when he hit me and he sent me into oncoming traffic. I remember seeing a pair of head lights a few metres in front of me and planted the foot and just got through before he might have hit me. Thankfully my car still had power! I was shaking for about an hour!

Thstone, I did note that both doors opened and closed normally afterwards, and the top looks OK. The engine/transmission is almost on the ground, so there has been damage under there, and the left side wheel is a couple of inches forward and against the inner fender liner.

Timco, since I'm a city boy, I don't have the Dundee knife but I do have the Samurai sword that the old man brought back from WW2 in the Pacific. Would that do??

And JonD, I am in Bayside. It happened in Jasper Road Bentleigh, about 3 km from home.

Of course I am still seriously p*ssed off about this. I tend to keep cars for a long time, and was growing very fond of this one - a very tidy, low km, accident-free car until Monday!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The repair shop will have to plasma cut the rear quarter panel out ]
Most body shops I deal with use a reciprocating saws for work like that. It's a million times quicker, without the risk of starting a fire.
Here's two Boxsters at my salvage yard that have donated parts, so that other Boxsters and 911s can live.
This guy lost his front clip to a 996 and rear quarter to a Boxster with similar looking damage as the OP

This Boxster had some of it's front clip repair a damaged 996. The rear has helped repair two different boxsters. The left rear quarter went to one Boxster with slight damage. The right side went to a boxster that had been hit real hard on the right. It was hit so hard that even the trunk and clam shell had been damaged. I probably would have not repaired that car, but the owner was determined to get that car on the road. I don't do the work, I just sell the parts. Don't be scared by how much was taken off those cars. You always want to take off from the donor car way more than you'll need

I can do body work but prefer to just work on my cars. It's not really that hard if you have the tools. Here's my 911sc after I welded on some 930 flared fenders

It's hard to completely tell the damage to your car. I'm guessing you'll cut off that damaged quarter panel right behind the intake. If so, you'll have to butt-weld them together and I highly recommend using the clamps in the pic below.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #13

Angry

Quote:

Really sorry to see that, what a bastard.
Where in Melbourne did that happen?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #14
pjv

Garage
Was in Jasper Road Bentleigh, turning right into Brewer Road. Fortunately am fully insured, so things might turn out OK (I hope!).
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 AM   #15

Quote:
And JonD, I am in Bayside. It happened in Jasper Road Bentleigh, about 3 km from home.
You're not too far away from me I'm in Seaford. I know where Jasper road is too.

If they cops have the correct plate numbers they'll get him. Did the witnesses get the make of the vehicle? Who did you insure with, have you spoken to them yet and if you have what'd they say?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
pjv

Garage
The witnesses got the number, make and colour of the other vehicle. Police are pursuing it, but I have not heard anything more as yet. I am insured with Lumley's Special Vehicles, have made a claim but waiting for the assessors to look at my car. Would be nice to know something! Cheers.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
The witnesses got the number, make and colour of the other vehicle. Police are pursuing it, but I have not heard anything more as yet. I am insured with Lumley's Special Vehicles, have made a claim but waiting for the assessors to look at my car. Would be nice to know something! Cheers.
I hope they give you a good settlement that takes in to account the cost of the IMS upgrade etc.
Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the process of looking for a new car. Will you get another 986?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:48 AM   #18
pjv

Garage
Pominoz, I don't expect to get any consideration for the IMS upgrade, insurance companies are not usually too generous in my experience. As yet I don't know for sure if the car will be written off, but if it is I don't think I will go with another 986, maybe back to an air-cooled 911. The Boxster was a good car, but there are other cars to enjoy as well. Cheers.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:22 AM   #19

Garage
Sucks to see this. I was hit about a month ago in my Range Rover by a hit an run driver. Lucky for me he had a car and trashed his car. I had a small scratch on the bumper and paint transfer all over from him going under the back. One witness had the plate number, make and model of the car and I saw the guy in my review mirror so I could give a half-ass description of the guy. Mainly a rough age and nationality. In a week the police manage to track the guy down and arrest him. He was not even the owner of the car or related to the driver. Car owners insurance ended up paying for it in the US. The guy just had his first court date this week.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #20

Quote:
I don't think I will go with another 986, maybe back to an air-cooled 911. The Boxster was a good car, but there are other cars to enjoy as well. Cheers.
Been looking myself there are some nice early model 911s out there.

I just can't get over how much cheaper the USA cars are in comparison to here. Even with the current lousy exchange rate you can still pick up a similar model car in the US for a little over a third the price we would pay. SUCKS big time! Pity they're all left hand drive, it would almost be worth buying and getting them shipped over in a container, still be cheaper I reckon.
You heard anything from insurance yet? Don't be surprised if you don't hear back from cops, even if they get him, they may not let you know, only the insurance company.

Last edited by JonD; 02-01-2015 at 12:41 AM.
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote