Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

new boxster purchase opinions

Hi all,
So me and my wife wants to get a base boxster as her daily driver. We've never owned porsche but heard the boxster is quite reliable (for the newer ones?). We've always owned Japanese so reliability is big. Cayman is ok too but there isnt any PDK ones in our area for the right price. She doesnt need S for sure. She plan to keep it for 2-4 years until we have kids. Looking at PDK only!

We would love your insights on boxster ownership and opinions

So after looking around our area, we nailed it down to 3 choices.
1. A 2013 15k miles navi / sound plus for $48k out the door. factory Warranty till 2017
2. A 2011 23k miles navi/sound plus certified use for 41k out the door. extended warranty till 2017
3. 2013 15k miles navi/sound plus certified for 52k out the door, extended warranty till 2019

We test drove both. While the 2013 has upgraded interiors and looks pretty much like a brand new car, my wife also think $7k is substantial difference, especially all cars tend to depreciate a big chunk of their value in the first few years. She is not considering #3 coz it's the priciest with the longest warranty, which she might not need

Do you guys think these prices are reasonable and fair? We searched truecar.com and kbb, they seem to be a bit above both of those indexes.

Is there anything, other than the looks, that is worth getting the 13 over the 11(which i researched is a facelifted 06). We searched hard for a 09-12 but there just arent that many around that has PDK. I noticed the 13s have adjustable suspension? and exhaust note is a bit louder. But to my wife's eyes they all look similar lol

Appreciate any feedback!

kiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #2

The $7k spread to move up to a newer design, newer car with lower miles is actually not bad. Both have already taken big depreciation hits but there's plenty more to come. It sounds likily our wife has already decided on the 2011 based on price, understandable so go for it. My guess is the 2011 my be a bit more reliabile as it's at the end of it's production run and Porsche continuos improves the cars. If you are looking for Japanese reliability you may be disappointed. These are cars generally have alot of technology that is newer which tend to be less reliable. Your basic japanese daily driver is going to be less advanced with tech but the olde tech is also more proven.

Good luck. Either choice is great and the PDK is one sweet automatic transmission.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Since you've only owned Japanese before, go into this purchase with your eyes wide open:

Late model Porsches do not have suspension parts that will wear as durably or long lasting as any Japanese car you've owned in the past. Control arms, struts, wheel bearings, drop links, etc. may wear out on your Boxster within the first 100,000 miles. Additionally, the oxygen sensors and MAF (mass air fuel sensor) for emissions can crap out on you in just 60k miles or so and they're not cheap.

It also chews up rear tires in a fraction of the time you'd expect due to the negative camber and oil changes, even if done DIY are $125.

Budget $1000 a year for maintenance and repairs on the car and you'll be in a better mental frame of mind when something needs fixing. You may not use it the first year, but you'll need to escrow the money for repairs later unless you plan to trade the car in 3-4 years max.

Oh yeah... and find a good indy shop and avoid the stealerships for maintenance.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the input. Will definitely get our minds ready to maintain these nice looking cars
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Since you've only owned Japanese before, go into this purchase with your eyes wide open:

Late model Porsches do not have suspension parts that will wear as durably or long lasting as any Japanese car you've owned in the past. Control arms, struts, wheel bearings, drop links, etc. may wear out on your Boxster within the first 100,000 miles. Additionally, the oxygen sensors and MAF (mass air fuel sensor) for emissions can crap out on you in just 60k miles or so and they're not cheap.

It also chews up rear tires in a fraction of the time you'd expect due to the negative camber and oil changes, even if done DIY are $125.

Budget $1000 a year for maintenance and repairs on the car and you'll be in a better mental frame of mind when something needs fixing. You may not use it the first year, but you'll need to escrow the money for repairs later unless you plan to trade the car in 3-4 years max.

Oh yeah... and find a good indy shop and avoid the stealerships for maintenance.
+1 ^^^ what he said ^^^

The only thing that I'll add is that the money in a Porsche is all in the driving experience, not in the reliability. The cars are fast, handle exceptionally well, and are super fun to drive - but modern Porsche's (anything water cooled) are not at the pinnacle of longevity, reliability, or low cost of ownership. Don't get me wrong, they run great and will serve you well, but they won't equal Toyota or Honda in that regard.

By the way, I am local to you (South Pas). A great indy shop is House Automotive in Pasadena. I have all four of my Porsche's repaired there. If you buy the car, I'd be glad to introduce you to the owner of House Auto.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

Also, can anyone refer an honest, reliable, reasonable indy car repair in los angeles metropolitan area?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
The car I would choose is the one with the most diligent care with oil change intervals at 5k or less. It would be worth more to me than a car with less miles and longer service intervals.

+1 on thstone's recommendation of House Automotive in Pasadena. They are one of our PCA authorized tech inspection stations and Greg is Porsche factory trained. A trusted shop.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

Garage
Look up, thstone just did. If youre getting an extended warranty though, you should be good for some time.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiryu View Post
Also, can anyone refer an honest, reliable, reasonable indy car repair in los angeles metropolitan area?
By the way, I am local to you (South Pas). A great indy shop is House Automotive in Pasadena. I have all four of my Porsche's repaired there. I'd be glad to introduce you to the owner of House Auto.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #10

So she doesn't use all the certified warranty period. You plan on having a child. You decide to sell the car. The car with some remaining warranty will sell for how much more and how much more quickly then than one without?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

There has been good advice so far. The only thing I'd add is Porsche reliability has improved greatly and if you keep your Box for 3 yrs, you'll be going thru the reliability sweet spot. Chances are good you'll have a very reliable auto and won't have suspension issues and worn out parts. I bought my 08 Boxster S LE brand new 7 yrs ago and it's been rock solid reliable w/ 42K mi. I think I drive my Boxster the same way you intend to drive yours. No problems with worn out suspension. I bought my 08 Cayman S Sport barely used (3 yrs old & 7400mi, now with 28K mi) and it has also been very reliable but it's my DE car and suspension bushings are now starting to wear out. Two 08 Porsches, two different results because of two different driving styles.

Just be sure to keep the maintenance up according to the schedule as that will be a great selling pt when you get ready to enlarge the family. As others have said, keep oil changes in the 5K mi range, even if the oil companies and Porsche say you can go longer. Another good selling pt (5K mi oil changes).
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-30-2015 at 05:18 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

wow thanks! I am so glad there's a good trusted shop so close to town, appreciated you folks for the referral. I dont really want to deal with stealerships as much as I can

Hmmm..most jap autos recommend 3k or 5k oil changes, so we will continue to do that even if the factory says 10k. But is there any reason why regular 5k oil change help a boxster specially better than even though that's just a routine thing to do for jap autos?

Also is mobile 1 still a good idea for a boxster? and mobile 1 oil filter? (what we typically use in our autos)

Last edited by kiryu; 01-30-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Also is mobile 1 still a good idea for a boxster? and mobile 1 oil filter? (what we typically use in our autos)
Wow, 4 posts in and you're starting a holy war on oil. People have very strong opinions on what brand of oil to use. You can do a search and read a lot about it. Suffice it to say, if you want to run Mobil, go right ahead. Other choices include Castrol (what I use) and Joe Gibbs oil.

5-8K mi is the distance most feel is how far synthetic oil will go before breaking down to a less effective state. This goes back to the early 2000s and long distances between oil changes was felt to be a contributor to IMS failure. The cars you're looking at do not have an IMS, but it's still a good idea to keep the mileage within reason.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

None of my business about how you plan to pay for your car but Porsche is currently offering a 27 month lease special right now on new base Boxsters. IIRC its about $5.7K out the door and $599+tax per month.

Given your 2-4 year window of ownership and the fact you're new to the brand, it may be something to consider. Car would be under warranty and you have the option to purchase at lease end.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #15

Born and raised in Pasadena (lower Hastings Ranch) and I can also vouch for House Automotive.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
and oil changes, even if done DIY are $125.
That's a bit much! 2 5-gallon jugs at Wal-Mart for $50 total...$10 filter. DIY is $60.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi all,

Is there anything, other than the looks, that is worth getting the 13 over the 11(which i researched is a facelifted 06). We searched hard for a 09-12 but there just arent that many around that has PDK. I noticed the 13s have adjustable suspension? and exhaust note is a bit louder. But to my wife's eyes they all look similar lol

Appreciate any feedback!
Well, the only options I couldn't live without are navi/sound plus, and a warranty that covers 2-4 years. I'd pick that one.

Seriously though, if you are looking to spend that kind of money, get the one that has the options that YOU/WIFE want, but, more importantly, get the one the Wife agrees to buy. Any other argument for/against is moot.

Personally, I don't think $4-7,000 is a great deal of money especially if you are making a decision because it is economically advantageous versus what you really want. If you are going to spend your time pining for the fjords, because you made a money-over-options choice you/wife REALLY want, spend the money now - isn't that what money is for?

... unless your Mrs. disagrees as you never want any argument to devolve to the $4-$7,000 EXTRA that you spent on a car - should this happen, you will find that that $4-$7,000 is the most expensive cost you've ever incurred.

That aside, I'm partial the 2013 (either), but I'm biased and have a 2013 and never driven the 2011.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Wow, 4 posts in and you're starting a holy war on oil. People have very strong opinions on what brand of oil to use. You can do a search and read a lot about it. Suffice it to say, if you want to run Mobil, go right ahead. Other choices include Castrol (what I use) and Joe Gibbs oil.
OOOpps I am sorry...

I always use mobile 1 for my lexus..didnt know that's going to start a oil war here
That's why i ask..i dunno wat kinda oil porsche feed the boxsters..
Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 PM   #19

Quote:

We would love your insights on boxster ownership and opinions

So after looking around our area, we nailed it down to 3 choices.
1. A 2013 15k miles navi / sound plus for $48k out the door. factory Warranty till 2017
2. A 2011 23k miles navi/sound plus certified use for 41k out the door. extended warranty till 2017
3. 2013 15k miles navi/sound plus certified for 52k out the door, extended warranty till 2019

Do you guys think these prices are reasonable and fair? We searched truecar.com and kbb, they seem to be a bit above both of those indexes.

Appreciate any feedback!
I cannot believe how much cheaper the cars are in the USA. You people are so lucky. The first and 3rd car here in OZ would cost approx. Doppelkupplung (Rel. Jul. 2012) $154,990 AUD EACH, Driveaway.

At your prices I'd buy 1 and 3 lol.

Definitely buy 1 or 3 and drive it like it's stolen cos at those prices it is a steal just my humble opinion

A standard service here in OZ not much change from $1,000. As long as the car is under warranty ALWAYS use what Porsche recommend for oils, parts etc, that way you won't void any warranties. So if Mobil1 0w 40w is what is recommended insist on that.

Last edited by JonD; 01-31-2015 at 10:55 PM.
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Born and raised in Pasadena (lower Hastings Ranch) and I can also vouch for House Automotive.
I visited House recently regarding an m96 rebuild . It is a fancy place .Big hat,no cattle. There are much better alternatives in Los Angles in my experience.Just ask here

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote