Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Can someone please tell me why you would put an American engine a PORSCHE? The 914 with the Volkswagen engine was one thing,it was not 100% true Porsche. Putting a v8 in a Boxster isn't what Porsche is about. Porsche has used smaller engines and created amazing out put out of them,they are the whores of engines. Why would you want to mess with that? Keep it in the family,put a 3.4 in there. If you put in the American engine you would also as well lose the Porsche whine,there is no substitute.

Sorry, but IMHO, the ls1 and the ls2 is simply a much better engine that any normally aspirated Porsche now being produced. Cheaper, more power, more topque, more durable, on and on.

Bring the conversion kit on, I am ready!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #22

This topic reminds me of a Car and Driver review of the then new supercharged MR2. They summed it up in one statement:

"Too much engine for its chassy"

Frankly, this only made me want to trade in my 1986 MR2 for it as soon as possible but the wife vetoed the idea as it came forth from my lips. I didn't even get to finish the thought!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #23

if u did actually fabricate all the parts to relocated things and connect things, then you would have to start a new business. people w blown p-engines would be your target.

still think its a stupid white trash idea
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #24

I love this forum and I get a kick out of all the upgrades, mods, and design effects people attach to their Boxsters. In any case, I have driven a Mustang convertible for the past 4 years before I bought a "bargain" Porsche Boxster. It's a '97, great condition and an "every-day driver". My goal is to keep it completely stock, drive it conservatively (to a point) and hopefully recoup enough of my investment to move up to a newer Boxster in about 18 months. For us old guys who historically have been intrigued by "Muscle Cars" the Boxster is a real eye opener. The response, handling, and even the acceleration on a 2.5 is quite different from an American sportscar. This is a Classic vehicle. For those of us who drive the old ones, hang in there..they are still truly Porsche's and worthy of the nameplate. As Randall states, be prepared for expenses. But if the car was well maintained, documented, and passes a PPI, you can still get a lot of car for the money. I don't sweat the maintenance too much since my Box is paid for. Big advantage due to the age of the car when I purchased it. Stuff goes wrong on 9 year old sportscars..I am prepared to deal with it! The key thing is to preserve the Porsche mistique, reputation, and desireability. Hold up the resale values and unique magic that surrounds the namebrand. I have No regrets for buying an "old one!"
Old 03-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #25

What really interests me about this type of swap is the torque that a Ls1 would add to the Box. This low rpm, low speed umph is a dimension of the driving that the Box lacks.

Together with the LS1's light weight, I think the result would be stunning. Low speed grunt, top speed thrills.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #26

the boxster is one of the best handling sports cars in the world. im sure you know that porsche tunes the handling so much that even the wrong tires throw everything off. after putting in a different engine that doesnt have its mass at the bottom like a flat 6, do you really think its gonna handle like a porsche. if you just want low end grunt buy a camaro.

by the time you fabricate the pieces to mount the engine and relocate some of its components, change the suspension components, cornerweight the car, etc....you have a very expensive car. a corvette or a used 911 start looking pretty good. you could get a nice c5 vette for less money than this monstrosity would cost. the c5 vette is pretty well balanced. it was a successful race car.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #27
olly986

if i can remember a few years ago someone in germany had a bi motor boxster made, it could have been gemballa but i am not so sure!

as for the Cobra any one that i have seen, regardless of this wonderful V8 you are all drooling over was fairly crap, lots of speed in a straight line, when it manage to go, but forget about corners, one of our member as a beautiful silver car with blue pipes and tubes and all, it looks good but what a hip of ****************e on the road!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #28

Check out www.renegade-hybrids.com. These handle quite well thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallygottaporsche
the boxster is one of the best handling sports cars in the world. im sure you know that porsche tunes the handling so much that even the wrong tires throw everything off. after putting in a different engine that doesnt have its mass at the bottom like a flat 6, do you really think its gonna handle like a porsche. if you just want low end grunt buy a camaro.

by the time you fabricate the pieces to mount the engine and relocate some of its components, change the suspension components, cornerweight the car, etc....you have a very expensive car. a corvette or a used 911 start looking pretty good. you could get a nice c5 vette for less money than this monstrosity would cost. the c5 vette is pretty well balanced. it was a successful race car.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #29

If we are speaking about the original Cobra, we are talking about 1960s technology. Having said that, it was very very fast and handled very well FOR ITS TIME.

If we are talking the Cobra kit cars, we they are kit cars.

Nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
if i can remember a few years ago someone in germany had a bi motor boxster made, it could have been gemballa but i am not so sure!

as for the Cobra any one that i have seen, regardless of this wonderful V8 you are all drooling over was fairly crap, lots of speed in a straight line, when it manage to go, but forget about corners, one of our member as a beautiful silver car with blue pipes and tubes and all, it looks good but what a hip of ****************e on the road!

Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #30

Actually, here is the link!

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/944/944.html

Old 03-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #31

"Engine
Any 283-350 Chevy small block V-8 will work, but the “F body” LT-1 is arguably the best motor for this application. These Chevy V-8 engines generally produce 250 horsepower and above, with streetable performance levels approaching 500 horsepower. The advantage of choosing the V-8 over the V-6 is a smoother running engine with less vibration and greater power. To further the advantages, the LT-1's out of a Camaro or Firebird actually have a compact enough fuel injection system and serpentine belt assembly that they fit under the stock hood without the use of a hood scoop. The installation of a V-8 engine results in some additional weight to the front of the vehicle. To compensate for the added weight, we recommend the use of heavier springs: 250 lbs. for the V-8.

Weight Distribution
Contrary to popular opinion, the superb handling characteristics of the 944 are not decreased by the addition of the V-8 powerplant. In normally aspirated versions of the 944, the weight distribution changes less than two percent. In the turbo cars, the change is less than 1.5 percent. A typical characteristic of a stock 944 is a slight "push" or understeer during acceleration. We have found that with the added weight of the V-8, the "push" condition actually diminishes. Furthermore, the more manageable torque and predictable horsepower allows the driver to easily transfer weight from front to rear allowing for increased car control. Quite simply it is much more fun to drive a converted 944."

Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #32
olly986

Brucee

don't you have to pass a car with the local autorities if you change engine, and what happens with the insurance company?

in Europe you are not allowed to do something like that and just drive it, here the MOT is very strict and there is no way you would get insured except if it is granted after mechanical checks by the governement road and vehicle department
Old 03-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #33

Each state has its own regs.

In CA, you have to put the same or newer engine in the car. I THINK that if one put a 98 LS1 in a 97 Boxster, you would be OK, but I would have to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
Brucee

don't you have to pass a car with the local autorities if you change engine, and what happens with the insurance company?

in Europe you are not allowed to do something like that and just drive it, here the MOT is very strict and there is no way you would get insured except if it is granted after mechanical checks by the governement road and vehicle department

Old 03-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #34
olly986

that seems to make sense, i fought your regulations were more strict, on the matter of the V8 anyway will it be easy enough to couple it with a Box gearbox?
engine swapping alone is not that simple to make a car work i guess
Old 03-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #35

ok. im trying to be open minded here.

think about the service openings in a boxster. what are you gonna be able to access from there. ok now you wanna change plugs, change plug wires, head gasket etc. these things are serviced from underneath the boxster. if you have a v8 in there thats out the window. seems like you would have to remove the engine for basic service.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #36

Lets see here...

-Ronzi
The car will see track time but it is never going to compete in anything due to the fact that it would be stuck in unlimited class (ala all out race cars) in any sanctioning body which this car certainly is not. Besides I dont think people buy or modify cars to make others happy, especially PCA or this collared shirt crowd you speak off.

-Dr. Kill
I wonder what people will be intrigued in more, the lopey v8 thats coming out of a stock looking boxster or the mullet sporting asian driver

-RandallNeighbour
I bet porsche never envisioned that 20 years after the 914, enthusiast would be putting all sorts of p-motors, v6s, v8s etc into a chassis and aswell as the transmission that were originally designated for less then 100hp all the while being VERY competetive in any of the sanctioning bodys This just goes show how overly engineered the cars are in the fact that even with the extra power the chassis took it like a champ. The funny thing was that the 914 was made over 30 years ago, so you can imagine just what the boxster chassis can do given the right circumstances.

-rdancd816
I hope I dont come off as some muscle car nut which I'm certainly not. Muscle cars have their place, just not in my garage and this porsche is not going to be in that sterotype either. What I want is an all around performer and not some drag car.

-Finallygottaporsche
The bang for the buck for both the c5 or any of the 911s is just not happening for me when compared to the ls1/boxster combo. The FD rx7 guys have been doing this and the same principal can be applied here. I dont see whats the point of spending more for a lesser car, especially here in socal where 911s and c5s are almost just as numerous as hondas/toyotas. What other mid engine rwd car, that will probably weigh lighter then the CGT, do you see thats as good as this platform for this price? As for working on them, its not like the things are easy to work on as they are now so I'll bite the bullet.

-olly986
On paper alone it looks like it wont drastically change the handling which is what I'm going for. Google the LS1 and you'll see what I mean. As for the emissions thing, the law here in cali states that you can use any motor aslong as its from a newer car along with its stock emissions devices. Someones already mated an LT1 to a boxster 5spd and the LS1 is basically about the same bolt pattern. I think he quoted somewhere under a grand to get it done (thats along with the clutch/pressure plate, etc )
boostiality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #37

I don't live to far from Pomona (yeah, I know, I'm not that excited about that fact either) - anyway, I passed by that area on the I-10 and believe it or not, saw an asian with a super tight mohawk/mullet driving a hot 78 Camaro with the back end jacked up atleast 4 feet. Ironic thing, it had a center exhaust and a Japatucky personalized license plate, wshiwasabox -

I think this whole thread is a scam by a schlitz drinking, luke duke loving Hemi hopper who's just trying to get a rise out of a bunch of guys who appreciate true automotive engineering and drive real cars!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
I don't live to far from Pomona (yeah, I know, I'm not that excited about that fact either) - anyway, I passed by that area on the I-10 and believe it or not, saw an asian with a super tight mohawk/mullet driving a hot 78 Camaro with the back end jacked up atleast 4 feet. Ironic thing, it had a center exhaust and a Japatucky personalized license plate, wshiwasabox -

I think this whole thread is a scam by a schlitz drinking, luke duke loving Hemi hopper who's just trying to get a rise out of a bunch of guys who appreciate true automotive engineering and drive real cars!
Yeah well we cant all have fate smile upon us now can we? Your more then welcome to come see it when I have the appropraite funds to do it since your near. Besides, quote any one of my reponses where I got out of line inorder to get a rise out of people. Theres already enough sterotypes about boxster owners that I'm not even going to get into, so I would suggests not fueling them even more.

Btw, heres my recently sold 914

With matching Corvette 283

Last edited by boostiality; 03-30-2006 at 11:32 PM.
boostiality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:53 AM   #39

I'm just not quite sure how an LS1 would fit. The motor and tras are quite long, I'm wondering how you would fit the rear end assembly in there as well. The drive shaft would be 3" long at best if it would all fit together. The boxster is basically like a FWD motor in the middle of the car, ie no rear end no drive shaft, just motor trans to a set of half shafts right out of the diff located inside the trans like a FWD car.

There really isn't much length to play with, I can see the motor and trans fitting in but the rear end would probablly touch the transmission not even allowing for a drive shaft to be fitted, there just isn't that much room for a long motor/rear end setup like that.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #40

Why is everyone so down on this guy’s idea? No, it is not something that I would do, but I am all for innovation and creativity as long as it isn’t practiced on my car. It’s not like he voiced an opinion on concealed weapons carrying .

I don’t imagine the engine is going to be a perfect swap with no other mods required. This isn’t a two hour job, nor will it be cheap, but it can be done. Anything can be done.

This guy obviously has an interesting hobby and his own niche going on. He already did this successfully with a 914 and wants to take it to the next level of complexity, creativity, and performance.

Boostiality, you are breaking new ground here so it appears that there is little our forum can offer you in terms of direct experience with a similar project, but many of these guys (not me) do know quite a bit and will be able to provide you with great insight to specific challenges that you will face along the way.

Go for it man. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote