Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Battery/Maintainer question.

I've got a 2010 Boxster whose battery was replaced last spring. She's away for the winter now, hooked up to an Optimate 6. When first hooked up--beginning of December--the charger went through its rigamarole--charging, testing, etc. and when all was said and done, the battery condition was a steady green. Yesterday I noticed it was green and yellow (a step down), and today red and yellow (another step down, conditionwise.) I restarted the maintainer, and it is presently charging.
Any ideas?
Just in case, I popped the frunk--the doors are locked. Any problems leaving the frunk popped for the rest of the winter, while the battery is hooked up to the maintainer?
Thanks!

FirstPorsche987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

I leave my frunk popped white the maintainer is on it. Haven't had any downfalls yet. I have a different charger /maintainer though. I have the Battery Tender Plus by Deltran.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPorsche987 View Post
I've got a 2010 Boxster whose battery was replaced last spring. She's away for the winter now, hooked up to an Optimate 6. When first hooked up--beginning of December--the charger went through its rigamarole--charging, testing, etc. and when all was said and done, the battery condition was a steady green. Yesterday I noticed it was green and yellow (a step down), and today red and yellow (another step down, conditionwise.) I restarted the maintainer, and it is presently charging.
Any ideas?
Just in case, I popped the frunk--the doors are locked. Any problems leaving the frunk popped for the rest of the winter, while the battery is hooked up to the maintainer?
Thanks!
Could be a couple of things; first, check the battery. I prefer to run load tests, but voltage and specific gravity checks will do in a pinch, also make sure the cells are all full (use only distilled water if they need topping up).

Second, it could be the charger you are using. While there are a lot of charger and maintainers out there, several of them have left me less than impressed. I particularly look for a maintainer that includes a desulfating step in all its programs, and I am not a fan of high output maintainers that are also chargers; if the electronics go off they can cook a perfectly good battery in a relatively short time frame. We only use the Ctek line both in the shop and in our customer storage facility; we have never had one act up or cook a battery in over ten years of continuous usage.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

I have mine on a Ctek. If you leave the frunk popped on mine, the interior light stays on.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
I have mine on a Ctek. If you leave the frunk popped on mine, the interior light stays on.
You can pop the light out of the side of the trunk and remove the bulb; problem solved.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You can pop the light out of the side of the trunk and remove the bulb; problem solved.
Takes about 5 seconds!

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote