Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I have been looking for one as well. All the ones I have found are too tall to fit without raising the seat rails. Putting one behind the pass seat doesn't work for me as it would take away too much legroom.

As far as the sound, while it probably won't be the best bass, it will certainly add quite a bit. Bass is non-directional, so it's location is not critical
Jay - you wouldn't know what is the max height this bass SW needs to be by any chance? Yep too friggin lazy to go measure it myself :/ car is half mile away, full of dust

I'm off to the car parts village this coming Sunday to see my HID kit supplier. I'll stop at the car audio street (blvd lol) to look for one of those. I'll admit it I also need that... recently found some new slapping tones that I'd like to play while I drive the Boxster

Or if anyone knows, that'd be fab

Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #22
On the slippery slope

Garage
IIRC, it is about 2.5 inch clearance

there is also a grounding stud that would need ot be cut off and teh ground point reattached somewhere else

The space is the same as under drivers (left) seat where the ECU is

The best solution would be a powered sub like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-KSC-SW11-COMPACT-POWERED-ENCLOSED-SUBWOOFER-SPEAKER-AMPLIFIER-BASS-BOX-/121080886478
but less height

Its about .25 inch too high. I was looking at raising the seat tracks with some spacers, but the way they are mounted with a bolt at an angle in the front and flat at the back would make it difficult to just add a .25 in spacer as it would shift the track forward

Maybe a new project for you ...LOL

Like many Boxsters, I don't have Bose or door subs and also no amp, so a powered sub would be ideal
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 01-09-2015 at 09:12 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #23

Like many others, I too sought an improved audio system in my Boxster. I replaced the head unit, dash speakers, door speakers (with 6.5" coax), added an amp, and tried to improve the Bose sub box. The sub never worked well - I first removed the Bose drivers and fabbed a mount for 6.5" Kicker "subs" - did not deliver much bottom end (mostly mid bass).

The only solution I found for real bass (other than a passenger footwell enclosure) was to duplicate the shape of the Bose sub box out of fiberglass and was ultimately able to fit 2 8" low profile Kicker subs in the "stock" sub location.

Building the sub box was a huge pain in the ass - I used the Bose box as a mold template and fiberglassed over the top of it (not easy) then remove the mold, added layers of fiberglass inside the box for strength (not horrible but still not easy) then fiberglass the bottom enclosing the whole thing, making it airtight all the while having wood mounting rings for the drivers integrated in the fiberglass box. As I said, it was a long painful process.

But I have low end bass that you can feel and hear (might be able to accomplish similar results with bass shakers)...

Oh, forgot to add, carpeting the whole enclosure was also a joy - there is no straight or flat surface anywhere on that thing!
brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #24

Quote:
hmmm, that is not a lot but will check. Thx bud, too kind

Agree spacers would be a quick fix... but I refuse to believe there isn't a slim 2" SW avail these days. I'll have a look... fingers crossed :/
Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
hmmm, that is not a lot but will check. Thx bud, too kind

Agree spacers would be a quick fix... but I refuse to believe there isn't a slim 2" SW avail these days. I'll have a look... fingers crossed :/
I did find a low profile sub speaker that was around 2", but it was 13" dia. so I don't think it would fit. It would be an exposed speaker, so i don't know how it would sound
WoofersEtc.com - Phantom 13 - Precision Power 13" 200W 4-Ohm Shallow Mount Subwoofer
Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #26

Quote:

there is also a grounding stud that would need ot be cut off and teh ground point reattached somewhere else

The space is the same as under drivers (left) seat where the ECU is

The best solution would be a powered sub like
Kenwood KSC SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer Speaker Amplifier Bass Box | eBay
but less height
I'm visiting a local, high-end car stereo shop next week. I share their thoughts with the Forum. One question I'll be sure to ask is whether there a way to mount the Kenwood speaker under the dash on the passenger side at the top of the foot well. Given how low profile it is the unit may not affect legroom.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
I'm visiting a local, high-end car stereo shop next week. I share their thoughts with the Forum. One question I'll be sure to ask is whether there a way to mount the Kenwood speaker under the dash on the passenger side at the top of the foot well. Given how low profile it is the unit may not affect legroom.
interesting thought.
My guess is it takes too much space. My wife is often riding in the Boxster, so I do care about the legroom. Then again, we can always take her 996
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #28

Well I visited the local +high-end" car audio shop here in the Bay area. They fine tuned the amp and the Focal crossovers. The sound is improved greatly and I have a bit more bottom end. The disappointing out was that the shop had nothing to offer for adding a true sub-woofer or even a compact one without taking up legroom. Their view was that whatever would fit under the seat wouldn't be a big improvement over the 6" Focal subs in the doors.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #29
On the slippery slope

Garage
with a basic system, there are no subs at all, so something is better than nothing LOL
Old 01-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
I had the same crappy dash speaker only set up in my 2003 Boxster. I added and Alpine head unit along with an amp in the floor of the frunk along with some component speakers in the doors and upgraded alpine speakers in the dash. I didn't add any speaker boxes in the doors, just surface mounted the woofers to the interior panel, and added dynamat to the inside of the doors and the interior panel near the speakers.
Did you add a wood board between the interior panel and the door panel? If you did, how deep was it? I screwed my 6.5inch Focals and the whole door vibrates even at low volumes. Did you added only the dynamat? Do you have any vibrations on the door?

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

urban is offline   Reply With Quote