View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
brewerbry

Like many others, I too sought an improved audio system in my Boxster. I replaced the head unit, dash speakers, door speakers (with 6.5" coax), added an amp, and tried to improve the Bose sub box. The sub never worked well - I first removed the Bose drivers and fabbed a mount for 6.5" Kicker "subs" - did not deliver much bottom end (mostly mid bass).

The only solution I found for real bass (other than a passenger footwell enclosure) was to duplicate the shape of the Bose sub box out of fiberglass and was ultimately able to fit 2 8" low profile Kicker subs in the "stock" sub location.

Building the sub box was a huge pain in the ass - I used the Bose box as a mold template and fiberglassed over the top of it (not easy) then remove the mold, added layers of fiberglass inside the box for strength (not horrible but still not easy) then fiberglass the bottom enclosing the whole thing, making it airtight all the while having wood mounting rings for the drivers integrated in the fiberglass box. As I said, it was a long painful process.

But I have low end bass that you can feel and hear (might be able to accomplish similar results with bass shakers)...

Oh, forgot to add, carpeting the whole enclosure was also a joy - there is no straight or flat surface anywhere on that thing!
brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote