Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
What's the diffrence in these two sets of LED headlights?

Besides one coming from Taiwan, what's the difference in these two sets of LED headlights. The set from Taiwan is $1,000 cheaper.

Porsche 986 Boxster 911 996 Carrera 4 4S Turbo GT LED R8 Projector Headlights | eBay

Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 Chrome LED DRL Projector Headlights | eBay

Also will these lights be a direct replacement for the Boxster standard headlights like these?

Thanks!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:05 AM   #2

Garage
Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off finding a set of used Litronics. The offshore LED headlights seem to be plagued by numerous quality and fitment issues.

See this thread for an example: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/52666-xtreme-body-works-jeff-headlight-review.html
Old 12-12-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Yes I have read that thread, but would still like to know the answers. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

I personally own a set of these that I had purchased from someone on this forum despite reading those reviews and I believe these look exactly the same, in my opinion at least, just that one ships locally from the United States (It is obviously not manufactured here) and the other ships from Taiwan directly from the manufacturer or dealer in Taiwan. From what I have read and heard, they are all manufactured in Taiwan possibly all coming from the same factory.

I have seen some variations that are sold with an HID kit occasionally, but it does not seem like either of the links you shared come with the HID kit.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #5

If your headlights are in good shape get Particle wave to install a set of Fred's projectors in them....superior to even the OEM Litetronics
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
#2 comes from Jeff at xtreme. Apparently, they are twice as much due to his impeccable customer service

Both will have LEDs that burn out after only a short time, so that's something they have in common
Yes, they are a straight replacement (if you can get them to fit).
Old 12-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
So I won't need like a ballast are anything like that since I have the standard lights? Just simple plug and play?

I read of these issues, for $1,000 I'm willing to have a go at them, for $2,000 no way.

Last edited by KRAM36; 12-12-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
So I won't need like a ballast are anything like that since I have the standard lights? Just simple plug and play?

I read of these issues, for $1,000 I'm willing to have a go at them, for $2,000 no way.
Sorry, but OMG. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #9

Yeah, it is plug and play pretty much. You only need ballasts if you are installing an HID kit. You will need to buy good quality H1 type bulbs though. I ended up buying a pair of Phillips Crystal Vision ultra bulbs off Amazon ($18 shipped). Let's see how long they last.

Refer to this video it helped me a lot: http://youtu.be/Yn-AxMOyyHc
I know it's long but it will give you a good idea of what you are looking at.

It definitely is not the same high quality as Fred's projectors installed by particlewave as mentioned above and don't expect too much support from the seller. But if you can accept that, only then purchase them. Definitely a cheap way to make your car look ten years younger and if they work well then they are not that bad looking(in my opinion at least).

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post

Last edited by amitmishra4; 12-13-2014 at 06:08 AM.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
That's what I like about those tights, they make the cars age look much younger.

particlewave sent me a link to a set he has on eBay. Those look great too. Waiting on a reply back from him.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #11

Garage
I would really suggest taking the Pwave route or going for litronics, I have not bought boxsters before because they were fitted with these lights. Litronics do a good job of making the cars look younger and the projectors make the car look like a baby CGT. Headlights are a huge investment and I would be careful about making the wrong decision.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
I am in talks with particlewave. The set he has on eBay looks amazing and since we live close and I can buy in person he can sell them to me a bit cheaper. I would be happy with those to. I'm looking at changing the front bumper to, so that would help the car look a bit more modern, the bottom chin can be left off on this and I think I would leave the chin off.

Porsche 997 GT3 RS Front Bumper with DRL Carrera 9969 99 01 N BOXSTER986 97 04 | eBay

Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #13

This is a matter of taste and it is your car. The LED's look fine, but consider whether they may be a little too "high tech" for a 986. Do you think the appearance would be out of synch with the style of the rest of the car? If there are reliability and fitment issues, those are additional negatives regarding the LED's.

I considered the LED's before I embarked on my litronic purchase/refurbishment. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html Basically I found that I agree with BigJake111 regarding the look of the litronics. To me, the litronics update both the appearance and function of the lights while blending smoothly into the design of the rest of the car.

I believe that for a $1000 you could probably find a nice set of used litronics. You might need to try car-parts.com or Ebay and buy each light from a different seller and they clean them up.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
What do you guys think this bumper would look like without the chin? I'm no a fan of side skirts, so I think the no chin would look good?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #15

Garage
Likely better without the chin. It is a bit too much beef for the not so beefy boxsters. I have a hankering for 996 gt3 side skirts!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Too many holes for my taste, but might look ok without the front lip.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #17
Need For Speed

Garage
[B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Likely better without the chin. It is a bit too much beef for the not so beefy boxsters. I have a hankering for 996 gt3 side skirts!
I want to go with the Porsche stripes on the side of my car. Don't think they would look good with the side skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Too many holes for my taste, but might look ok without the front lip.
I love the holes in the bumper. To me the stock bumper is just too plain.