Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #21
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I've got one too http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59044&page=7

You can also buy then on eBay.

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
pw - check out the cayman wing from porsche mesh:

Rear wing for Porsche 987 Cayman & Boxster

something like this for the 986 would rock. or a ducktail - a ducktail would also rock.
Yep..these are the best looking out there. Looks like you would actually get down force out of it. tried to get these guys to give me a plan view pattern to see if they could be made to work on a 986...no luck. I was actual thinking of working off of the 986 spoiler metal frame or putting a 987 mechanism in to take the wing

I have always wondered about the loss of lift spoiling capability with removal of the stock blade.....also very reluctant to alter the stock lines unless the thing looks spot on

Currently they these are being produced
Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #23

I have the same spoiler and people are always asking me where they can pick it up. I think the gaps and fit are fine. Here's a bunch of angles to check out.

and deployed:

BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #24

Nice...that's what I'm talkin' about. I think these spoilers give a nice touch to a somewhat drab tail (IMHO). My car and my friends...both '02 BoxS...only 230~ serial numbers apart.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #25

I likey, can't wait for mine to be delivered. Thanks guys. I couldn't agree more with both of you. Again I appreciate the photos. jmatta, the side by side really speaks volumes. I think the word "drab" is a good way of stating it.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:33 AM   #26

Wing

I have one too.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
I have one too.
I hear that PartWeave is working on a new wing design for that WWII fighter plane

Oh the wing on your car looks good to me. Thanks for the pic
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
Our Boxsters have spoilers? I've never seen mine in person...

Seriously, I assumed they designed it with the same idea as the 964 spoiler: keep the clean lines of the car until you absolutely need to change the aerodynamics. I personally like the rear of the 986 sans spoiler, even if it looks less-than-ideal once the 'wing' is deployed at speed. Like I said, I never see it.

The redesigned rear of the 987 flows much better with an exposed spoiler IMO, as evidenced by the Boxster Spyder.

-T
I also like the rear of the 987 the best of the three Boxster designs. But I like LeMans GT1 headlights on the 986 the best of all. It really just absolutely needs the GT3 bumper to shine. Which then means you have to add skirting to even out the overhang and that unfortunately means you need to upgrade to 18" wheels to fill in the now larger wheel well shape. I wish they would have continued evolving the fried eggs into something uniquely Porsche instead of just lifting the Ferrari headlights for the 981.
I also like the sides of the 986 better than the funny looking air intake on the 987 and I'm not a fan of the CGT'esque intake on the 981 which seems too obvious to me, reminds me of those CGT Boxster conversion kits. I would have liked something completely new and not a rehash of an old design.

This spoiler is nice. Gives it a little bit of the duck bill thing. If you're going to own a car for this long why not spice it up a bit. But those gaps really make it a dark car thing only.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-17-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #29

Aircraft

Actually it`s a WWII Harvard trainer.The picture was taken at the airport where pilots were trained for the war. That one crashed into the lake on a training run. It was brought up by some veteran airmen and was restored and put on that monument. It is in front of the Air Force Club that is located at the airport.Ya it looks even better in person.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #30

I wanted this spoiler to give it a little more panache in the closed position, but didn't try it because it looked like it might be a chore to incorporate it while keeping the "tombstone" for high speed stability. Now I'm glad.
No offense to those who have gone this route, but the photo showing the 2 side by side in the closed position actually flows better with the oem version to my eye. Would never have thought this until the side-by-side comparison. The 986 has a pretty classic rear end, with nice lines, reminding me of some of the classic automotive beauties of all time. (Think Jaguar). Anyway, I'm now not so sure that a$$ needs a bustle...
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Actually it`s a WWII Harvard trainer.The picture was taken at the airport where pilots were trained for the war. That one crashed into the lake on a training run. It was brought up by some veteran airmen and was restored and put on that monument. It is in front of the Air Force Club that is located at the airport.Ya it looks even better in person.
With PartWeave's wing redesign it could have been a high speed fighter instead of a trainer. lol
Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #32

Quote:
As a private pilot, I think I recognize that plane from the Kingston, ON (CYGK) airport.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #33

A Documentary

OI think I watched a documentary on that way back......rescuing the Harvard that is

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote