Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Strange noise from front - thoughts?

Driving my 2002 yesterday, and starting hearing a strange "whooshing" noise from the front of the car...

Best way to describe it is that it sounds like an air flow is being interrupted (like a flap opening and closing), and it speeds up/slows down according to the car's speed. There's also a slight metal vibration sound from the front, but that I just noticed, but not sure if it's coincidence or related.

(Update: wife mentioned that she tapped the front end on one of those low concrete parking things, so could something be knocked loose...)

Checked the side intakes and front of the grill, but it doesn't appear that anything is blocking them... Also sounds like it's coming from the right side of the vehicle. No CEL light on the console.

Any thoughts? Car is going in for oil change in next couple of weeks, unless this is something to get checked now.

Last edited by MacGrad; 11-06-2014 at 04:30 PM.
MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Do a good inspection of your fender liners and plastic covers on the undercarriage. Those may have a crack or missing fastener. While parked, they may stay in place, but at speed, they can start flapping or rubbing on other parts. My son's car had a fender liner that would blow back and rub the tire after he got over 35 mph. It took a while to figure out.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #3

I had something very, very similar. Finally tracked it down to the plastic stainless steel look moulding around the windshield on my 2002 S. It had moved out of place was flipped up and was catching the wind which made the whooshing sound, and was flapping a bit at speed, which made the metallic sounding clacking.
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #4

Garage
Have an '02 & that windshield trim piece is also not really secure on my car, but I don't notice air coming in at speed.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what should be used to attach the chrome trim piece to the window to secure it? Normal silicone sealant or something else? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
Have an '02 & that windshield trim piece is also not really secure on my car, but I don't notice air coming in at speed.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what should be used to attach the chrome trim piece to the window to secure it? Normal silicone sealant or something else? Thanks.
My investigation showed that replacement was the best option. Unfortunately, the replacement part was redesigned and requires the removal of the windshield, so never did it. Just pushed it back in place every few weeks.

Devact is offline   Reply With Quote