Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Garage
OBDII Fault Code Question

I had a CEL come on yesterday during a simple freeway run. Since I do not have a DME but only a OBDII scanner I plugged it in. The errors were P1126 and P1133.

I know what the error codes translate to, what I am scratching my head with is why one code, (1126), would say "Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold", and the other "Aging of Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Below Lower Limit"?

So does this mean that one side of my engine is running lean and the other rich? Or is it simply time to change them?

2001 2.7, 5 speed, 90,000 miles.

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
I had a CEL come on yesterday during a simple freeway run. Since I do not have a DME but only a OBDII scanner I plugged it in. The errors were P1126 and P1133.

I know what the error codes translate to, what I am scratching my head with is why one code, (1126), would say "Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold", and the other "Aging of Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Below Lower Limit"?

So does this mean that one side of my engine is running lean and the other rich? Or is it simply time to change them?

2001 2.7, 5 speed, 90,000 miles.
P1126 is an overly lean condition on cylinders 4-6 (air leak, low fuel pressure or volume); P0133 (note that is not the code you posted) is for an aging O2 sensor ahead of the TWC on the opposite bank (cylinders 1-3). And you do have a DME, but do not have the Durametric software, which I would recommend as "global" OBD II scanners often generate misleading codes on these cars.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks JFP, you are correct, that should have read Durametric not DME. And I did post the wrong readout for P1133, it should have been "Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Lower Load Range, Bank 2 – Below Limit". But what could be the problem? I did recently, about 400 miles ago have to replace the fuel pump which failed, Bosch replacement...
Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
Thanks JFP, you are correct, that should have read Durametric not DME. And I did post the wrong readout for P1133, it should have been "Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Lower Load Range, Bank 2 – Below Limit". But what could be the problem? I did recently, about 400 miles ago have to replace the fuel pump which failed, Bosch replacement...
I would suggest getting the car rescanned with a Porsche specific tool as a starter. If the overly lean code still shows, I would then check the fuel system for correct pressure and volume delivery. Have you changed the fuel filter on the car?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Garage
Yes, the fuel filter was changed at the same time as the pump. I will check the fuel pressure.

However what has not been changed in who knows how many miles is the air filter, and since I live on a ranch with lots of dust I'm sure it's way past it's life. I'm going to give the MAF a good cleaning and order a new air filter and see what happens.