Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 302
Garage
OEM Bose speaker replacments?

I have a PCM2 nav/radio Bose unit. One of the back speakers sounds bad. I know with the Bose set up it's an all or nothing replacement if I go after market. At the moment, I'm happy with what I have but would be interested in refreshing the speakers. Can I get new OEM speakers.

Alternately, I'd be interested in a new aftermarket headunit if it could display the OBC outputs (mpg, range, distance, temp, etc). Are there any units that can tap into the OBC and display the outputs?

__________________
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,426
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I have a PCM2 nav/radio Bose unit. One of the back speakers sounds bad. I know with the Bose set up it's an all or nothing replacement if I go after market. At the moment, I'm happy with what I have but would be interested in refreshing the speakers. Can I get new OEM speakers.

Alternately, I'd be interested in a new aftermarket headunit if it could display the OBC outputs (mpg, range, distance, temp, etc). Are there any units that can tap into the OBC and display the outputs?
you would need a head unit that supports either Android os or iOS, with Android being a better choice

You would then need an app for the head unit as well as a bluetooth OBD II reader

One unit to look at is the Parrot Android Smart

There are a few threads on the forum with installations. Do a search
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 302
Garage
Cool thanks. Looks like an ipad/appradio with a wifi/bt obd2 reader and DashCommander get pretty close. So far I can't tell if I can have radio and info gauges up at the same time like I do now but I don't think so.

Anyone has suggestion to get new OEM Bose replacement speakers?
__________________
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,426
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Cool thanks. Looks like an ipad/appradio with a wifi/bt obd2 reader and DashCommander get pretty close. So far I can't tell if I can have radio and info gauges up at the same time like I do now but I don't think so.

Anyone has suggestion to get new OEM Bose replacement speakers?
thats sound like a good solution
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Cool thanks. Looks like an ipad/appradio with a wifi/bt obd2 reader and DashCommander get pretty close. So far I can't tell if I can have radio and info gauges up at the same time like I do now but I don't think so.

Anyone has suggestion to get new OEM Bose replacement speakers?
I own a Miata with the Bose option, the speakers in it were toast but I wanted to keep the OEM head in it (teenage kids drive it, didn't want someone cutting through a $1000 top to rip off a $200 head unit). The bad / weird thing about the Miata's Bose speakers is their impedance, in my case they were .5 ohms and no one other than Clearwater (Clearwater Audio Home Page) made a replacement. I bit the bullet and got hosed buying them but they sound pretty good. Make sure to check the OEM speaker's impedance before buying something that is just the same physical size, if they're not close you will be disappointed in the sound.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 302
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I own a Miata with the Bose option, the speakers in it were toast but I wanted to keep the OEM head in it (teenage kids drive it, didn't want someone cutting through a $1000 top to rip off a $200 head unit). The bad / weird thing about the Miata's Bose speakers is their impedance, in my case they were .5 ohms and no one other than Clearwater (Clearwater Audio Home Page) made a replacement. I bit the bullet and got hosed buying them but they sound pretty good. Make sure to check the OEM speaker's impedance before buying something that is just the same physical size, if they're not close you will be disappointed in the sound.
Thanks. I think the Bose speakers are 2ohm impedance.
__________________
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,248
Garage
I recall my brother's Corvette having the same issue with its Bose system as well (all or nothing). I've got nothing else to add...

__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa 3.6
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page