986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OEM Bose speaker replacments? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54430)

Coaster 10-13-2014 11:28 AM

OEM Bose speaker replacments?

I have a PCM2 nav/radio Bose unit. One of the back speakers sounds bad. I know with the Bose set up it's an all or nothing replacement if I go after market. At the moment, I'm happy with what I have but would be interested in refreshing the speakers. Can I get new OEM speakers.

Alternately, I'd be interested in a new aftermarket headunit if it could display the OBC outputs (mpg, range, distance, temp, etc). Are there any units that can tap into the OBC and display the outputs?

JayG 10-13-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coaster (Post 421527)
I have a PCM2 nav/radio Bose unit. One of the back speakers sounds bad. I know with the Bose set up it's an all or nothing replacement if I go after market. At the moment, I'm happy with what I have but would be interested in refreshing the speakers. Can I get new OEM speakers.

Alternately, I'd be interested in a new aftermarket headunit if it could display the OBC outputs (mpg, range, distance, temp, etc). Are there any units that can tap into the OBC and display the outputs?

you would need a head unit that supports either Android os or iOS, with Android being a better choice

You would then need an app for the head unit as well as a bluetooth OBD II reader

One unit to look at is the Parrot Android Smart

There are a few threads on the forum with installations. Do a search

Coaster 10-13-2014 03:09 PM

Cool thanks. Looks like an ipad/appradio with a wifi/bt obd2 reader and DashCommander get pretty close. So far I can't tell if I can have radio and info gauges up at the same time like I do now but I don't think so.

Anyone has suggestion to get new OEM Bose replacement speakers?

JayG 10-13-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coaster (Post 421553)
Cool thanks. Looks like an ipad/appradio with a wifi/bt obd2 reader and DashCommander get pretty close. So far I can't tell if I can have radio and info gauges up at the same time like I do now but I don't think so.

thats sound like a good solution

coreseller 10-13-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coaster (Post 421553)

I own a Miata with the Bose option, the speakers in it were toast but I wanted to keep the OEM head in it (teenage kids drive it, didn't want someone cutting through a $1000 top to rip off a $200 head unit). The bad / weird thing about the Miata's Bose speakers is their impedance, in my case they were .5 ohms and no one other than Clearwater (Clearwater Audio Home Page) made a replacement. I bit the bullet and got hosed buying them but they sound pretty good. Make sure to check the OEM speaker's impedance before buying something that is just the same physical size, if they're not close you will be disappointed in the sound.

Coaster 10-14-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 421575)
I own a Miata with the Bose option, the speakers in it were toast but I wanted to keep the OEM head in it (teenage kids drive it, didn't want someone cutting through a $1000 top to rip off a $200 head unit). The bad / weird thing about the Miata's Bose speakers is their impedance, in my case they were .5 ohms and no one other than Clearwater (Clearwater Audio Home Page) made a replacement. I bit the bullet and got hosed buying them but they sound pretty good. Make sure to check the OEM speaker's impedance before buying something that is just the same physical size, if they're not close you will be disappointed in the sound.

Thanks. I think the Bose speakers are 2ohm impedance.

Deserion 10-14-2014 02:54 PM

I recall my brother's Corvette having the same issue with its Bose system as well (all or nothing). I've got nothing else to add...