Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
Article is about the Spyder however there is lots of good commentary on Boxsters and their percived place in the Porsche world. See link below.

Boxsters are nearly universally praised by auto journalists as some of the best sports cars made. Don't get caught in the pecking order trap - those guys are never happy - no matter what they get is not going to be good enough - there will always be something better.

Cars are meant to be driven. Porsche makes great sports, Boxsters are among the best.

Enjoy your awesome car and set a good example when talking about cars with other people.

2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder: First Drive

Well put!!

It may seem that I always jump on this topic when it rears up, but I will never understand how some cannot see their own hypocrisy. Some guys get their nose out of joint over a perceived slight and then immediately degrade another make / model as an almost reactionary response, laughable and sad at the same time.

Enjoy your Boxsters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Farging Iceholes ALWAYS need to be put in their place, of course it is a dark, stinky place with no sunshine. Right on OP, thank you for not taking that shiite from anyone. BRAVO!

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #23

At Parade I took a pic of CAS' 987. How could anyone dislike it?

Hope you don't mind me posting pics of your car. I'll take it down if you don't.

About 7 yrs ago I had driven my 986S to Chicago for a Cubs game. I got there early and scored a great parking spot. I was standing a car away when a group of teens walked by - 2 guys & 2 girls. One of the guys is really looking at my car. The other guy says "It's not a real Porsche, it's just a Boxster". I felt like saying to him that I was about to toss you the keys, but since you don't think it's a Porsche, I'm not going to waste your time. But I kept quiet and left him with his misguided perceptions of Porsches.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #24
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Your exchange lacks context.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
Article is about the Spyder however there is lots of good commentary on Boxsters and their percived place in the Porsche world. See link below.

Boxsters are nearly universally praised by auto journalists as some of the best sports cars made. Don't get caught in the pecking order trap - those guys are never happy - no matter what they get is not going to be good enough - there will always be something better.

Cars are meant to be driven. Porsche makes great sports, Boxsters are among the best.

Enjoy your awesome car and set a good example when talking about cars with other people.

2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder: First Drive
If I had a dollar for every time someone poo poo'd the Spyder as a gimmick or what ever.
If there is better experience for the money I can't think of one:

1:41 lap time @ Laguna Seca with a Porsche Boxster Spyder - YouTube
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #26

Garage
I wish I had a dollar for every 911, Carrera, 4S, 2S, or GT passed on track. I'm not sure if they're looking down their nose at that point.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
... he asked me if I was aware of Porsche's pecking order. I replied and said YES I'm aware of the pecking order and your 996 is the bastard of all 911's and I walked away. Note I'm not bashing 996 at all. He asked for it and got what he deserved.
Oh crap! I almost spit my dinner out of my mouth laughing!

I say, good job! I really dislike people who are stuck up about which car is better and its about time a few of them are put in their place.

At the HPDE, time attack, and club racing levels, its all about driving skill not horsepower. I can't tell you how many "faster" cars that I have laid to waste on the race track in my girly Boxster.

I had one guy in a 911 first ask if my car was a Boxster S? I said no, it was a base. Then he said, oh it must be the 2.7 base. I said no, it was an early 2.5. Then he said that he was on street tires; and I pointed out that so I was I. Then he said that his engine was running poorly. I just walked away at that point.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-13-2014 at 07:27 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
As he continued to talk about how great the C4S is compared to his Cayenne he asked me if I was aware of Porsche's pecking order. I replied and said YES I'm aware of the pecking order and your 996 is the bastard of all 911's and I walked away. Note I'm not bashing 996 at all. He asked for it and got what he deserved.

You should've asked him if his wife hates the fact that he's got such a small penis....

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #29

About 6 years ago a work colleague decided to buy (actually leased) a 911 for his wifes' 50th. It was an auto base Carrera. I found it strange as they had no real interest in sports cars or racing, etc. They hardly used it and drove it like nuns! and gave it back after 2 years. I think they just liked to tell people they had a 911! I remember saying why not get a Boxster or Cayman - no it HAD to be a 911! A better status symbol I guess!

There used to be a saying in the UK - MG F's were driven by 'chaps' who stand around in pubs talking about them - while MX 5's (Miatas) were driven by 'blokes' who were out driving the crap out of them!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #30

Divide fun by cost and see what the pecking order looks like.

My Box S on track is a blast to drive.

Last DE I was harrassing a 991. He could out drag me on the straights but when he reluctantly gave me a point by, he commented he didn't realize how much he was holding me back when he told me he had no chance to keep up beyond the first set of corners.

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote