Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

new boxster owner

I just bought a 2000 boxster s, are there any drain holes I need to make sure are clean that would normally get clogged with trash? I had a Z4 and had to clean them on a regular basis, thanks for any input

fastfeeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Yup, there are drain holes under the clamshell that need to remain clear. Also there are drain holes up front on the frunk side of the firewall.

Just be sure you don't push down the plastic sleeve in some of these drain holes that can be easily dislodged. It's a pain to retrieve and it does an excellent job of clogging those drains if you leave them out of place.

Might be worth purchasing a Bentley manual for your car to see all the pix of where stuff is located.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

any other quick things you can tell me to watch out for, I have done a lot of research on the ims bearing, so im well aware of that issue. thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Once you clean the drains, I would recommend a set of these for the two under the convertible clamshell. If they clog and the electronics under the drivers sear get water damaged, it can be a very pricey repair.

Drain locations.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Once you clean the drains, I would recommend a set of these for the two under the convertible clamshell. If they clog and the electronics under the drivers sear get water damaged, it can be a very pricey repair.

Drain locations.

+1 on the screens.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:

Drain locations.

Excellent info Rick, thanks for taking the time to post the diagrams.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfeeet View Post
any other quick things you can tell me to watch out for, I have done a lot of research on the ims bearing, so im well aware of that issue. thanks in advance
If you're asking about anything else you should be checking as a new Boxster owner...

1. Pull up the carpet and wood in your rear trunk. If you see radiator fluid, you may have a cracked coolant reservoir or loose hoses or both.

2. With the motor hot and turned off, add a little motor oil and see if your filler tube is cracked inside the firewall in the engine compartment. If it is, you'll smell burning oil because it drips on your exhaust manifold. The plastic accordion type of tube they used is very weak in design and heat makes it brittle over time.

3. Wheel bearings go out on our cars rather prematurely compared to any other brand you've owned, so jack up the front and then the rear and yank hard top to bottom on your tires and see if there's any play. Noise when rolling the wheels also indicates worn bearings.

4. Change the air filter unless it looks brand new, and don't put a K&N oiled filter in there. Factory is what you want. Because it's a pain in the arse to do, very few owners actually do this regularly.

... there are a zillion more things, but this is a short list to check if the PPO didn't tell you these are all A-OK and not worth checking.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Welcome

If you have questions about what oil to use or IMS replacement, do a search first and you will find more information that you can imagine.

Best thing is to do a search first before asking a question and often you will find the answer

There is an incredible amount of information and knowledge on this forum

Most importantly you need to post a pic or 2 of you car, or it ain't real

and don't forget....drive it like you stole it
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #9

my new box

Attached Images

Old 10-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
Effen a BEAUTIFUL
Old 10-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #11

fastfeeet, btw, when we tell you to drive it like you stole it, we're not just being funny.

While it may shorten motor life, taking the motor to near redline each time you drive it AFTER it's fully up to temp is good for lubricating the nooks and crannies of the motor.

I have redlined my motor repeatedly for 10 years now and it purrs like a kitten.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
fastfeeet, btw, when we tell you to drive it like you stole it, we're not just being funny.

While it may shorten motor life, taking the motor to near redline each time you drive it AFTER it's fully up to temp is good for lubricating the nooks and crannies of the motor.

I have redlined my motor repeatedly for 10 years now and it purrs like a kitten.
Let's not start the redline/no redline debate again....
Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #13

Very Nice! Enjoy!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #14

Randall, I will drive it like I stole it, thanks for the info. My Z4 was rear ended and totaled, it was redlined and raced in the mountains where I live on a daily basis, and had 167000 on the odometer and seemed to love it. Im looking forward to this car, it seems to handle better and has more power, im a little cautious tho because of no stability control.
Anybody know if those Porsche racing decals are factory? Im thinking of removing them.
Thanks for the responses
Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Decals are not factory, I would remove them. I have never had an issue with no stability control, but be careful on those narrow mountain roads.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

Garage
Nice looking. I'm not normally big on decals but they're a nice addition.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #17
On the slippery slope

Garage
The Boxster is one of the best handling cars made, period. Porsche purposely kept the HP down so it would not blow by 911's in the straights. In the twisters, well you can crawl right up their ass.

It is an incredibly stable and easy to drive car. With a set of good tires and alignment, it far exceeds most drivers ability and won't let you down. Don't worry about not having stability control, it doesn't need it. Very few have it. It blows the doors off a Z4

You should join your local PCA chapter and look for their DE ( driver education) events. You will become a better and safer driver and have even more fun

Last edited by JayG; 10-15-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Decals are not factory, I would remove them. I have never had an issue with no stability control, but be careful on those narrow mountain roads.
I've seen these on several other Boxsters
I have considers adding a set just below the air inlet vents. It's a nice touch on all black
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #19

Garage
Was this a south carolina car? I think I test drove it, auto S right? Drove great and we actually know the previous owner. It was on the market for a long time but I saw that it was at a very reasonable price recently, I'd say you got a nice find!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #20

yeah, it is a south Carolina car, I bought it in Anderson. I am happy with the deal