Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #21

Just be aware with the aftermarket glass-windowed top that the window will be smaller and the access to the engine will be somewhat compromised.

The best way to go IMHO is a 4-bow OEM glass top in good shape from a 2003 or 04, which will easily retrofit to an earlier year. But they're usually not cheap...

Last edited by clickman; 10-14-2014 at 09:20 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #22

One issue nobody has mentioned is the grade of vinyl used for the rear window. There are many different grades available. The marine grade usually has the highest level of uv inhibitors. That will prolong the life of the window in terms of yellowing and cracking. The other issue is thickness. Thicker is not better. Thinner is more flexible. A place that does boat upholstery & tops may be a better place to shop. And be sure to ask what brand& grade of vinyl they propose using.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #23

Garage
I know many of you have questioned the sanity of the PO of my car by paying $800 to replace the window on my car, but I am telling you - it looks factory original - stitching is perfect and lays perfectly - plus it is still the original factory canvas - which I am willing to bet is better than the Gahh replacement...

I would highly recommend you find a competent shop to go this route since you said your canvas is in really good shape. I am quite glad the PO did on mine.

And, as far as shops go, I would be very picky with selection. I went with a cheaper option shop when I had the top replaced on my Miata back in 1997 - and it was still $700 for a vinyl top! Well, the 'cheaper' option turned out to be a bad idea. Top never did fit right and putting it up was a ******************** (remember - that puppy was manual)...I was always depressed with the results and pretty much used my hard top for the rest of the time I had the car (another 8 years!!!) I just think the convertible top is just one of those areas that may be worth spending a little extra for.

Good luck, which ever option you choose!!
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #24

Ebel914,

The GAHH top comes highly recommended by several installers (several would only install this brand). I also spoke with several folks that have had GAHH tops installed on a variety of cars and all where pleased with the results. The particular top I have chosen appears to be of better quality and sound installation then the factory. We'll see once it's install. At that point I'll report back.

Anyone one on this forum have issues with their new top and if so what brand was it.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #25

Garage
Thanks Porsche9! I have heard similar of Gahh, but have never seen one in person. I look forward to your feedback (In case I ever need one )

Good Luck!!
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
2002 Boxster S

Here is my 2002 with its new top with glass window.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #27

Looks really good Ottatcat. Is that a GAHH top?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #28

you will not regret the glass window. Yes, the window is smaller. It took absolutely no time to adjust to.

I just bought a 99 BMW M Roadster that had a cracked rear window but came with a new replacement. The window zips in, which is great but it still folds in half. There is no option to replace with any sort of glass window aftermarket top.

The Boxster's top and mechanism is elegant and simple in design. The only real weakness was plastic window wear due to folding. Having the ability to correct the weakness at a realistic price is a real blessing.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #29
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Looks really good Ottatcat. Is that a GAHH top?
It's a Summit from AutoTopsDirect (ATP) for $659 which had the glass window and was made with the German A5B/DS Acoustic Canvas. It also included the wiring harness for the defrost. The same top from GAHH is $925 and all my research indicated they were exactly the same tops coming from the same factory.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #30

I ran into another Boxster owner once, we had nearly identical looking cars.
He said he'd just one the top himself. He even offered to help with my top which made think it must be pretty straight forward and not too time consuming once you've done it once obviously. That's the trick. Well he had the GAHH and it was pretty much identical to the factory canvas.

What I would like to see is someone post a before and after of the top in service position to see how much less room you have to work with.

The 03-04 top is great but not at those prices. If you want one in good condition, by now those wreckers have figured out they are the most sough after and won't let a good one go a low price. I think I'd rather have a new top if a good deal can't be scored on the 03-04.

As for the sticking with plastic, yes you absolutely need a good shop to do the window swap, and they're definitely not going to do that cheap. It will work out to roughly half of what a whole new top goes for and you don't get a brand new looking top. A new GAHH top makes a big improvement in the overall look of the car, well worth the extra money. That and updating the tail lights to the LED versions. The old school edison bulb lights really date the car imho. I have the smoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottacat View Post
It's a Summit from AutoTopsDirect (ATP) for $659 which had the glass window and was made with the German A5B/DS Acoustic Canvas. It also included the wiring harness for the defrost. The same top from GAHH is $925 and all my research indicated they were exactly the same tops coming from the same factory.
we have a forum member that does the tops and if I recall he confirmed the same. I had one of the ATP tops on a prior car, it was first rate.
If I recall correctly, they reinforced the sealing around the glass after I ordered and they sent me a new top within days before I'd even asked about it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-17-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #31

I wonder if it would be possible to fit a glass window with a canvas surround that could be retro fitted in place of the plastic window in the existing top?
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Just be aware with the aftermarket glass-windowed top that the window will be smaller and the access to the engine will be somewhat compromised.
I keep hearing that, but I have no problem with visibility, the seat headrests block rear vision more than the top. Also, I haven't found any issues with engine access with the glass top.

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote