Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Garage
lost my key

I lost my only key to the 986 what do i do ?

flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There are several threads that will come up if you take the trouble to search. The bottom line seems to be a trip to the nearest dealership and a cost of around $250.
Keys can be purchased. They are useless without a bar code. A dealership will have to program it.
Your best source for further info will probably be the dealer.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Bite the bullet...
Take your ownership (as proof) to a dealership and get a key cut from your VIN and programmed.
Not cheap, but your only option.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

Garage
Would i have to tow it to the dealer ?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

One other option

That I took when I was in the exact same position: Lost Porsche Keys

I lost (...really think it was lifted...) my one and only key and the nearest dealer is more than 150 miles away. I was not at all thrilled with the idea of having the car towed all that distance and then spending another $400-$600 at a minimum getting a new key made and coded.

The site above will walk you through the details but basically, you pull the lock mechanism from your door, pull the alarm module from under the driver's seat - ship those off. A few days later you get all the parts back and two new keys. The key blanks they used for my keys were for VW and not Porsche - but frankly I could not have cared less.

It takes a little fiddling to get all the parts pulled and then reassembled when you get them back, but, I'm no mechanical genius by any stretch and it wasn't too difficult for me. Their instructions are really good.

Feel feel to PM me if you would like any further info.

ajb
ajb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb986 View Post
One other option that I took when I was in the exact same position: Lost Porsche Keys...

The site above will walk you through the details but basically, you pull the lock mechanism from your door, pull the alarm module from under the driver's seat - ship those off. A few days later you get all the parts back and two new keys. The key blanks they used for my keys were for VW and not Porsche - but frankly I could not have cared less...
**shortened**
Feel feel to PM me if you would like any further info.

ajb
Awesome first post and cool deal. Have you actually been lurking since 2010 or is the info wrong?
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #7

Hi 78 - Ya, I guess i have been lurking that long! I thought I had some other posts....maybe another Boxster forum.

Best of luck Flete - I know what's it's like to have a big acrtic silver brick sitting in the drive!
ajb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

Not rubbing salt in.......but

Never have one key....never
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #9

Garage
Well it is going to run me about $500 bucks at the dealers..they want $325 for the key and $160 to program it but i have no choice...(there goes my upgrades lol.)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

If I'd be you I'd get a key off eBay shipped overnight and have it cut and prog by your local Pcar indy - if you can find this guy near by. I bet it would cost you half the dealer's.

ps. sml price to pay for such a huge mistake

Hope it all works out fine for you mate
Old 09-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #11

I'm curious why is a " bar code " needed to make the key work ? If you can show that you are the owner, you have a key that works and you are just wanting a spare made why is the bar code needed ? I ask because I purchased a used key head that does not have a bar code but I'm in hope of having a local Porsche dealer program it.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I'm curious why is a " bar code " needed to make the key work ? If you can show that you are the owner, you have a key that works and you are just wanting a spare made why is the bar code needed ? I ask because I purchased a used key head that does not have a bar code but I'm in hope of having a local Porsche dealer program it.
I called a dealer here in Toronto today about programming a key fob. They didn't say why, but they where very insistent that they couldn't program the key without the bar code, or one that had been programed to another car. Buying a key from them was $350, and $75 to program it.
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #13

Think ahead

See what a second key at the same time would run you

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote