Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #21

Garage
It's not just 911 guys. I ran into a Porsche Pr*ck last summer driving a......Boxster!!

Returning to my car from my local Home Improvement Box, a 981 Boxster had parked next to my car. (Note...he parked next to me....I was already there...). He was in his new Box with his wife.

Approaching our cars I greeted with, "Great car!"
He replied....very sarcastically...."Yeah....I traded up." Looked at my 986 and rolled his eyes.

His wife was visibly horrified.

I almost went d-bag and said something rude back...specifically about his wife 'upgrading' to me....but took the high ground and said, "Have a nice day!!"

It takes a lot of energy to be a jerk. Never understood what all the effort gets you.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #22

I wanted a 911 just like most of everyone here. But after driving a Boxster and wanting one since 97, I am and will always be mid engine Porsche car owner. If they put a 911 engine in a Boxster, ( more hp) why would you buy a 911? Porsche knows this. Engine is in the wrong place.

I hear boxster jokes from time to time unlike any other make. Don't ever hear M3 guys making fun of the 1 series or the 3 series guys. To those that do, they are just snobs.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #23

I prefer the 356 to the 911.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #24

Back in the 80's & 90's the Ferrari crowd looked down on the Dino as not a real Ferrari. I wish I had the $20K to have bought one back then. They are worth a LOT more now.
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #25

I think that's awesome. For once you hear a guy actually say what's really on his mind.
But I would have replied with a joke of my own, especially if wasn't a manual. just to screw with him.

So I'm guessing his lady wasn't a looker?
Wifey jokes are off limits no matter how big a db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
It's not just 911 guys. I ran into a Porsche Pr*ck last summer driving a......Boxster!!

Returning to my car from my local Home Improvement Box, a 981 Boxster had parked next to my car. (Note...he parked next to me....I was already there...). He was in his new Box with his wife.

Approaching our cars I greeted with, "Great car!"
He replied....very sarcastically...."Yeah....I traded up." Looked at my 986 and rolled his eyes.

His wife was visibly horrified.

I almost went d-bag and said something rude back...specifically about his wife 'upgrading' to me....but took the high ground and said, "Have a nice day!!"

It takes a lot of energy to be a jerk. Never understood what all the effort gets you.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #26

My favorite 911 snobs are the ones that take their car to the track for the first time and get their ass handed to them by a 2.5 Boxster or even better a 944.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I think that's awesome. For once you hear a guy actually say what's really on his mind.
But I would have replied with a joke of my own, especially if wasn't a manual. just to screw with him.

So I'm guessing his lady wasn't a looker?
Wifey jokes are off limits no matter how big a db.
LOL...no...his wife was a looker. He was mid-sixties earliest. I'm early 40's and work my butt off at the gym....hence the DB 'upgrade to me' comment. Glad I didn't say it.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #28

OP (Original Poster) Here! Well, they said that one of the best reasons to own a Porsche is the involvement of the Porsche community. They were right. I was expecting two or three responses to my post, not the avalanche of insight and helpfulness that I actually received.

Thank you everyone for weighing in. I'm taking a trip to Montreal with him this weekend so I'll educate him about the greatness of the Boxster S appropriately.

For what it's worth all your comments certainly helped me solidify my determination to purchase a Boxster S in February (after tax returns). Partly because of what what said but also in large part because of the strength of this community. It's incredible.

FYI - I'll probably zero in on the 2003 instead of the 2002 because of the 8 extra bhp, upgraded interior, and most importantly the glass defogged rear window. I live in Maine, commute 60 miles a days, and will be using this car year round so I think the rear defog is the way to go.
Laflamme02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laflamme02 View Post

FYI - I'll probably zero in on the 2003 instead of the 2002 because of the 8 extra bhp, upgraded interior, and most importantly the glass defogged rear window. I live in Maine, commute 60 miles a days, and will be using this car year round so I think the rear defog is the way to go.
If I were in your shoes I too would look at for an '03. You may also want to get a hardtop for the winter months. My brother has one and he puts it on for the winter months and it works out well.

I have had my '01 Boxster S since new in 2001. During its ownership I have also bought and sold a '97 993 cab and a '97 993 turbo. The 993s are very special cars. But, in the end they got sold and the Boxster S stayed.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #30
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Only put-down I got about my Boxster was from a non-Porsche owner when at a picnic (guy probably didn't even own a car, let alone a nice one come to think of it). The 911 and other guys have been polite to me. Generally I'll wave at other Porsches if in traffic, 911s usually wave back. Probably has something to do with "Hey this guy 'gets it' too!".
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
LOL...no...his wife was a looker. He was mid-sixties earliest. I'm early 40's and work my butt off at the gym....hence the DB 'upgrade to me' comment. Glad I didn't say it.
That's even better I love when old guys leave all the lame politeness behind.
Like those Oscar Mayer commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io0-fSA6zDw

And if you had made an old joke he probably wouldn't have cared.
"She's with me sport! And I don't care that it's for my money! Beats picking up chicks at bingo."
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #32

Quote:

I would not really make year the determining factor. First you should decide which engine you like the best, 2.5, 2.7 or 3.2. For street use, the popular convention of "I don't really need an S" is actually backwards. For the track and autocross the 2.5 and 2.7 are more than enough power for someone who isn't a pro. For the street imho the 3.2 is more useful because today regular sedans have a lot more power than they did in the late 90's and early 2000's. The extra ponies are handy when merging on the highway or passing a mini van taking up the passing lane.
Once you've decided on power, look for low mileage and keep in mind that Boxsters from 1997 - 1999 are basically the same; Boxsters from 2000 - 2004 are basically the same; Boxsters from 2005-2008 are basically the same; Boxsters from 2009-2012 are basically the same. Look for cars with the least amount of wear and tare within each series. For instance I'd much rather take a 2000 with 30K miles than 2004 with 55K miles even though the 2004 has a glass window and glove box. You can add a glass window from the aftermarket. Meanwhile racking up 20K less miles means you're that much further away from having to get new shocks, replacing the clutch, etc. Maintenance and repairs on these cars can get expensive quickly. A full suspension overhaul can easily run $3-$4K on parts alone. Porsches are reliable but they aren't very durable if you run them in extreme heat and cold weather. And a car that sits in a garage months at a time you really don't want. These engines need to run to stay well lubricated and to burn off the build up. The best is a car that is driven frequently and year round in nice mild weather. And if you can spring for a 2009, these are probably the best value because they have the newer engine technology that basically comes on the 2014 cars. While cars from before 2009 are all using engine technology from 1996, albeit with a big improvement in 2000. So 2000-2008 is basically the same engine and by getting a lower mileage older car from that series means you can take advantage of the depreciation while still getting a lightly used car. I think that's the sweet spot if you don't want to spend for 2009 and newer.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-23-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #33

Quote:
So I've been test driving cars for a couple months now and was sold on a new Ford Mustang because of price and performance...that is until I test drove a 2001 Boxster S on a whim. As soon as I engaged the clutch on that thing I knew I would be getting a Boxster S instead. Out of the 14 or so cars I drove this was by far the best driving experience. I was amazed at how much I preferred the 2001 Porsche to a 2014 Mustang GT. In the late winter I'm hoping for a 2003 but might have to go 2002 because of the price difference.

Anyway, when I informed my friend that I'd decided on the Boxster S he did everything he could in his power to discredit the Boxster as not being a "real Porsche" and even went so far as to say that "it's not very good"! He is part owner of a 1984 911 (with his father) and seems really biased for someone that has never driven a Boxster

My question is, why does the Porsche community look down its (collective) nose at Boxster owners. From my in-depth research the Boxster is a fantastic car and superior to the 911 in handling, though not in power. Where does this snobbery come from? Any thoughts on it?

I had exactly the same experience!! All over the Mustang until I drove a friends Boxster. I just recently got my 2000s. I took it out this weekend for a long drive, on country roads with the top down!! I couldn't care less about what a single person says about the Boxster, it is a fantastic car to drive!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #34

I'll back up the assertion that the 2.7 has enough power for track and autocross use but could use more on the street. I don't notice the lack of power at the track- the car is phenomenal everywhere else and I pass cars with much more power on the regular. On the street...yeah, onramps could be more fun
Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #35

I take a slightly different tact than some. I always believe you should buy the newest you can afford. Age old question - mileage vs age. I personally believe age plays more of a factor than does mileage (within reason). Things just break down with time.
Whereas with km's - a lot depends on the type of kms and roads and such being driven.
I'm also not a fan of excessively low mileage cars. These cars are meant to be driven! Low mileage means it has sat for prolonged periods.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #36

Ha! You think it's bad with a Boxster, try owning a 928! There is very little respect for it, even though it was the first, true "clean sheet" (ie, pure) Porsche design. In every year it was made, from 78 to 95, it was the fastest (except for the 930), most expensive top of the line Porsche you could buy, and simply one of the best cars in its class in the world. Faster than the comparable Ferrari or Aston or Audi as well. But look at Excellence, or Panomera, and other magazines, or talk with 911 guys or even Boxster/Cayman owners, and you'll get a sense for what I am talking about. Amazing too, because if you look at the modern Carrera, it has morphed into a rear engine 928.
I truly enjoy my Boxster, and have driven 911s and a RUF 930 turbo, but the 928 remains the best of breed for me still.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
Ha! You think it's bad with a Boxster, try owning a 928! There is very little respect for it, even though it was the first, true "clean sheet" (ie, pure) Porsche design. In every year it was made, from 78 to 95, it was the fastest (except for the 930), most expensive top of the line Porsche you could buy, and simply one of the best cars in its class in the world. Faster than the comparable Ferrari or Aston or Audi as well. But look at Excellence, or Panomera, and other magazines, or talk with 911 guys or even Boxster/Cayman owners, and you'll get a sense for what I am talking about. Amazing too, because if you look at the modern Carrera, it has morphed into a rear engine 928.

I truly enjoy my Boxster, and have driven 911s and a RUF 930 turbo, but the 928 remains the best of breed for me still.

My all time favorite Porsche with the engine infront of the seats, the others have clearly never seen risky business. However while the 928 is great I do find it less special, I'd take a 911 over a 458 any day, but an 8 series vs a 928, thats a harder question, I would say it is a more competitive class and aside from performance the 928 doesn't separate itself well.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #38
I am my own mechanic....

You can take other's negative opinions to heart and let it change your decision, or you can know what you like, take pride in the big Porsche badge on the hood, and know your car is smart, not just fast in a straight line. Compare the brakes. 4-piston monoblock Brembos with cross-drilled rotors and vanes to cause airflow to cool the brakes.....or the street car brakes the Pinto had.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
Ha! You think it's bad with a Boxster, try owning a 928! There is very little respect for it, even though it was the first, true "clean sheet" (ie, pure) Porsche design. In every year it was made, from 78 to 95, it was the fastest (except for the 930), most expensive top of the line Porsche you could buy, and simply one of the best cars in its class in the world..
Well it is Tony Montana's get away car. His previous car had tiger stripes on the inside. I think this is where it all went downhill as far as prestige.

What do most people say when they see it? I mean it just says PORSCHE in big letters on the back so at least they don't ask if its a Toyota Spyder.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #40
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I rotate my 4 Porsches for my daily 50 mile roundtrip commute. Most people at work and on the road think my 996 Turbo is another one of my Boxsters.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster 986 , boxster s