Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #1

#22 check valve should go in that hole. On my 2003 boxster it would slip out no barbs or ridge to hold it in.

I got a 3/16 brass barbed fitting from the hardware store and some 4mm silicon tubing.

I put the barbed fitting in the hole, and connected the tubing to the other end of the fitting and then the check valve.

I used another barbed brass fitting to plug into the "Y" connector.

Unfortunately the brass fitting into the manifold is hidden here behind a hose. I will try to get a better photo next time I am in there.

I also replaced my vacuum reservoir as it was leaking.

When done I had 18"Hg on a vacuum gauge I installed.

After a month of messing around my car cleared all monitors in 200 miles and passed CA smog!!
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

Well done to pass SMog !
The cure for many of the Boxster vacuum problems is silicone hose,brass barb fittings and a Mighty Vac to test the system.Cheap enough but tedious. Your repair will outlive the M96 !
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
#22 check valve should go in that hole. On my 2003 boxster it would slip out no barbs or ridge to hold it in.

I got a 3/16 brass barbed fitting from the hardware store and some 4mm silicon tubing.

I put the barbed fitting in the hole, and connected the tubing to the other end of the fitting and then the check valve.

I used another barbed brass fitting to plug into the "Y" connector.

Unfortunately the brass fitting into the manifold is hidden here behind a hose. I will try to get a better photo next time I am in there.

I also replaced my vacuum reservoir as it was leaking.

When done I had 18"Hg on a vacuum gauge I installed.

After a month of messing around my car cleared all monitors in 200 miles and passed CA smog!!
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Well done to pass SMog !
The cure for many of the Boxster vacuum problems is silicone hose,brass barb fittings and a Mighty Vac to test the system.Cheap enough but tedious. Your repair will outlive the M96 !

Thanks
Gelbster I know you have been down the same rabbit hole and you did influence my work.

I bought a new vacuum reservoir and it would hold 15 psi of vacuum. I then hooked the same "mighty vac" type tester to the installed reservoir and it would hold NO vacuum. DUHH......

New reservoir and the hoses connections in the photo the photo let me hold 18 "Hg at idle.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

For curiosity - slightly pressurize the old vac reservoir with it's base under water in a bowl.Look for bubbles and hissing when you elevate it bove the water level. This will be a satisfying diagnosis.
In theory you could epoxy the base of the old leaker. Why Porsche did not use a one piece blow molded part like other manufacturers do ,I have no idea. It would have been a cheaper part too !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
For curiosity - slightly pressurize the old vac reservoir with it's base under water in a bowl.Look for bubbles and hissing when you elevate it bove the water level. This will be a satisfying diagnosis.
In theory you could epoxy the base of the old leaker. Why Porsche did not use a one piece blow molded part like other manufacturers do ,I have no idea. It would have been a cheaper part too !
sounds like you are saying it leaks at the seam at the base.

I would like to test it, but the old one is still in there. I was not about to R&R the alternator to fit the new vacuum reservoir in. I was trying to meet a CA smog deadline and I knew I had good vacuum now.

So I left it in place and installed the new one temporarily over near the SAI air pump. I will take the old one out when/if i have to change the alternator.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post
sounds like you are saying it leaks at the seam at the base.

I would like to test it, but the old one is still in there. I was not about to R&R the alternator to fit the new vacuum reservoir in. I was trying to meet a CA smog deadline and I knew I had good vacuum now.

So I left it in place and installed the new one temporarily over near the SAI air pump. I will take the old one out when/if i have to change the alternator.

I too am sorting through the vacuum system. Non of the diagrams I’ve seen show the second intake flapper solenoid. I had to stop looking at diagrams and start thinking about how the system worked. My problems were mostly due to a leaky accumulator tank.

Also, I’m not sure why anyone would remove the alternator to get to the accumulator tank. On my 02 S the tank is right under the passenger side intake plenum. It’s a bit of a pain in the ass, but it does not require alternator removal. Perhaps the 03 is completely different, but I doubt it.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote