Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #1

Hello! New owner and introduction.

Hello folks,

New 986 owner here, 3 days now. I'm pretty sure I did everything wrong while purchasing this motor but here's my story. Been doing on and off research on these cars for several years now. I recently sold my 2007 SLK and wanted to jump in to the Boxster hunt again. After a few weeks of of searching in a 300 mile radius I found one in the color combo I wanted and bugged the seller for almost 2 weeks with picture requests and endless questions. Started negotiating a price prior to seeing the car in person and finally took a 170 mile ride west to bring it home. The car represented well in person, all the flaws (minor) were well documents in my picture requests, nothing shocking there. 104,000 miles, some service history, went through the Manheim auction a little over a month ago and sold for $6K.

Immediately the top would not retract ( naturally this was the FIRST time this happened according to the seller). It eventually did after fiddling with the micro switch at the latch.

Took it for a 45 minute test drive and was able to get it on a lift after. No leaks, worn suspension components, exhaust was good, everything looked like it was there.

Clutch is stiff but catches fine and doesn't slip or chatter. Little squeak coming from the back I can hear with my left ear when depressed... walk away??? Maybe since I researched the price of replacement and the components needed. My mechanic will give me the good bad and ugly news soon enough.

Well, We settled on a price of $7,000 and home I went ( in the rain!). Put about 300 miles on it so far. Things I noticed, creaky suspension, top works fine now, clutch seems fine other than it being stiff, accelerates, tracks and stops fine, tool kit and owner's manual present, 2 mismatched tires in the back (brand), AC blows COLD.

No here's where stupidity comes into play. This is the first Boxster I drove, no point of reference to know what good and bad cars feel like, wanted to negotiate to sub $7K for the top malfunction (seller wouldn't budge). Asking $8000, offered $6500 settled at $7000. Let the fun begin.

About me, 40 years old, owned about that many cars over the years, currently own an A3 2.0T for daily duties, M-B 190E 2.3 16, MK1 Golf Convertible, and now the 986.

Most of the searches about this car came back to this forum, looks like a ton of useful info.

...and here it is

bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Looks good! Welcome.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
welcome. Great color combo (I'm kinda partial as mine is the same) The cars looks very nice
Tons of great info and lots of very helpful people here. Have a question?, do a search first and if you can't find the info you are looking for ASK

Get your tires matched, it will never handle properly with mismatched tires
Lots of threads here on tire recomendations

with minimal service info, I suggest ASAP

Change the oil and cut open the filter
Check all fluids and filters and replace if needed
Brakes require flush and fill every 2 years, so if you dont have a record of it being done, do it. Simple DIY
Check the serpentine belt and replace if if even looks a little bad. It is an easy DIY and takes only a few minutes
Use Porsche approved fluids ONLY

Don't worry about the clutch, they are good until it starts to slip then immediately get it replaced so you don't damage the flywheel

Locate your local PCA chapter and see when the next Performance Driving School or DE event is and take the class. You will be amazed at the performance and capibilities of the car and it will make you a better and safer driver
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-25-2014 at 09:57 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Holy cow first post and he managed to include a picture. Give that man a 986 round of applause.

Just keep in mind Porsches are getting really cheap to buy but they're still expensive to drive long-term.
Unless you DIY, a suspension overhaul with wheel bearing servicing can easily run that $7k you paid for the car.

I would encourage you to download 101 Porsche Boxsters for your Porsche Boxster from the Google Play store or order a hard copy on Amazon.
It's a must own book that spells out the cost of every maintenance and repair item.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-25-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Holy cow first post and he managed to include a picture. Give that man a 986 round of applause.
Welcome! Great story about the acquisition and thanks for the picture on the first post!

Oh, and a stiff clutch is normal. I don't know why they are so stiff, but they are.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-25-2014 at 11:36 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

Very good! Nice first post and enjoy.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #7

Garage
Nice, welcome enjoy your car. The brake squeak may just be hard (glazed) pads or dirty rotors. Good luck
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #8

Jeff S. called, he gives Bob B.'s first post a

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum. Car looks good.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #10

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

Thanks for all the welcomes and good advice. Got new brake pads, shift boot, and a lead on some updated headlights. Plan on doing most of the work that comes up myself and with help from friends. Glad to hear the clutch is naturally stiff. I got so used to it driving it all weekend, I could barely drive my A3 today without looking like I just graduated drivers ed. This car forces you to just drive.

Spoiler still works!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

Nice Car! Where are you located in Delaware?
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #13

Sussex, Georgetown.

You?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #14

Garage
Welcome!

My clutch has always been a little stiff and makes a creaking noise from the transmission housing every time I push it in. It works fine and it's been doing it for 6 years.

Enjoy the car!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 AM   #15

I'm in Sussex County also. Millsboro address but closer to Long Neck.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeck View Post
. Glad to hear the clutch is naturally stiff. I got so used to it driving it all weekend, I could barely drive my A3 today without looking like I just graduated drivers ed. This car forces you to just drive.
I went back to driving my A3 manual after my Boxster for a week. The first time I pushed the clutch on my A3 I slammed straight into the floor! Very different feel for the two cars, and the A3 is 'hard' compared to many cars out there.
ByteSaidFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #17

Though stiff is a relative term, based on the design these clutches get stiffer as they wear. There are certainly other possibilities for a stiff clutch, but it is a general indictor of wear.

I bought just about the same car with 96K a few years ago. Other than oil changes, and other things that involve fluids, I have done my own work.

My overall recommendation is keep your costs low and enjoy the car while it lasts. There is certainly preventative mantenance (e.g. AOS and waterpump) that makes good sense. For a car at this point in it's lifecycle I am very prudent about the money I invest into it.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
I'm in Sussex County also. Millsboro address but closer to Long Neck.
Any meets happen down here? I'm still involved in the MB community with my 2.3-16, we have a small cult that gets together regularly.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #19

After 500 miles of driving it feels less stiff, I guess it sat a while before I bought it. . Had my Indy step in, says it's ok, and the catch point is still pretty low. My plans are to maintain it, enjoy it as is for now and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
Though stiff is a relative term, based on the design these clutches get stiffer as they wear. There are certainly other possibilities for a stiff clutch, but it is a general indictor of wear.

I bought just about the same car with 96K a few years ago. Other than oil changes, and other things that involve fluids, I have done my own work.

My overall recommendation is keep your costs low and enjoy the car while it lasts. There is certainly preventative mantenance (e.g. AOS and waterpump) that makes good sense. For a car at this point in it's lifecycle I am very prudent about the money I invest into it.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteSaidFred View Post
I went back to driving my A3 manual after my Boxster for a week. The first time I pushed the clutch on my A3 I slammed straight into the floor! Very different feel for the two cars, and the A3 is 'hard' compared to many cars out there.
I stalled my A3 for the first time in a very long time after a few days in the Boxster.