Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Garage
Black Wax

Brothers with Seal Gray Boxsters... Give this wax a try and let me know what you think. I have a little road rash on the Jägermobile and this wax does a good job hiding it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/meg-g6207?seid=srese1&gclid=CIT25__sqsACFZKBfgodP5cABg

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Garage
Might try this on my Lapis Blue next waxing. I do love me some Meguiar's.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Brothers with Seal Gray Boxsters... Give this wax a try and let me know what you think. I have a little road rash on the Jägermobile and this wax does a good job hiding it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/meg-g6207?seid=srese1&gclid=CIT25__sqsACFZKBfgodP5cABg
You do realize that this is nothing more than their standard product with some black pigment in it?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You do realize that this is nothing more than their standard product with some black pigment in it?
Yes I do realize that... Instead of little white specks on the bumper and frunk lid, from using other wax products, I have little gray specks using Black Wax.

300K Mile Club
Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes I do realize that... Instead of little white specks on the bumper and frunk lid, from using other wax products, I have little gray specks using Black Wax.
those white specks dissolve with heat and moisture. What do you mean by road rash? I know this term from cycling but its a whole other story.

If you mean scratches, short of getting out the orbtial buffer with the right pad and abrasive polish, the best trick is to layer a few coats of a high quality sealant, give some time to cure maybe 6 hours and then add a few layers of durable synthetic wax. That will fill in the swirl channels until heat and rain wash it away after a few weeks depending on the weather.

But in general if you want to make a dark colored car shine more, use a carnauba wax like S100 or Souveran. Although carnauba longevity is limited.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
those white specks dissolve with heat and moisture. What do you mean by road rash? I know this term from cycling but its a whole other story.
What I mean by road rash is the paint damage caused by the sand, stones, and other crap that wind, cars, tractors, and trucks throw or drop in front of us as we are moving down the freeways and highways. Most of these paint destroyers come from vehicles in the other lanes and most of my driving is on freeways or highways with multiple lanes. In fact two weeks ago a pick-up truck in the right lane (I was in the left) tossed-up a rock that put a chip in my windshield. The little nicks and marks in the paint are too deep to buff-out and to me it’s not bad enough for a new paint job... yet. I have over 266,000 miles on the Jägermobile and I’m sure most of you don’t have all the little marks in your paint as I do.

Below is a close-up picture of the area right beside the passenger headlight, another area the Jägermobile has some road rash. The first picture was taken before applying Black Wax, the second picture after applying Black Wax. My experience when using other waxes little white nicks show-up when the wax dries. With Black Wax the little nicks are not noticeable for a couple weeks now.

Before:

After:

300K Mile Club
Old 08-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

Nice. I like Jager, thanks for posting.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #8

I use the Turtle wax red wax which is the same thing, wax with dye and it makes a noticeable difference. Instead of seeing all the white specks at 10 feet, you have to stick your nose into the paint to see the road rash. And it lasts a good month or more, depending on how much I have to drive int he rain.

I apply a good wax on the entire car, and before I buff it off, I spot apply the red wax, then buff the whole car off.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
kls

Given that it's just a dye, any ideas for some type of dye to add to my current favorite wax (Blackfire wet diamond) to accomplish the same thing? Then would one of you volunteer to try it so I don't risk my own precious paint?
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Teddyonine

Garage
Quote:
What I mean by road rash is the paint damage caused by the sand, stones, and other crap that wind, cars, tractors, and trucks throw or drop in front of us as we are moving down the freeways and highways. Most of these paint destroyers come from vehicles in the other lanes and most of my driving is on freeways or highways with multiple lanes. In fact two weeks ago a pick-up truck in the right lane (I was in the left) tossed-up a rock that put a chip in my windshield. The little nicks and marks in the paint are too deep to buff-out and to me it’s not bad enough for a new paint job... yet. I have over 266,000 miles on the Jägermobile and I’m sure most of you don’t have all the little marks in your paint as I do.

Below is a close-up picture of the area right beside the passenger headlight, another area the Jägermobile has some road rash. The first picture was taken before applying Black Wax, the second picture after applying Black Wax. My experience when using other waxes little white nicks show-up when the wax dries. With Black Wax the little nicks are not noticeable for a couple weeks now.

First time I've used he black wax- really happy withe results . No flecks in the paint or around the drunk, doors etc...

Before:

After:

Teddyonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #11

I use the Turtle "Black Box" kit for my black boxster and its fantastic. It has carnuba wax in it apparently and lasts about 3 months in the hot California weather.

The kit comes with Black pigmented carnuba wax, a detailing and touchup spray and a remover/cleaner.

The only thing I'd add is a clay bar for perhaps a yearly claying.

Its good at hiding minor scratches and even stone chips on the front bumper.

Seems like few if any products can duplicate a good carnuba waxing.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #12

That's a great solution for the price Yager. Question is how long does it last? Most waxes wear away after only a couple of weeks of daily driving and you should not be paste waxing your car that often imho. A quick spray wax after a wash is fine --- provided you are using a long nap towel like the Griot's blue towels. Typical auto store towels will wreck the paint if used too often.
OTOH, an hour with doctor color chip and the orbital will take care the road rash for good. And if road rash is a repeated problem, and I know you already know this, a clear bra is the way to go. I had it before I upgraded to the GT3 bumper and the old bumper was spotless when it came off.
I also had it partially on the fenders and hood.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
OTOH, an hour with doctor color chip and the orbital will take care the road rash for good.
Do you use Dr. Colorchip with an orbital? What's your technique?

/
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Do you use Dr. Colorchip with an orbital? What's your technique?

/
You'll need the orbital to deswirl, then follow with the Dr. Color Chip and lock it all in with the Opti Coat 2.0 ($80 on autogeek.net)
The Opti-coat is a basically a wipe on permanent clear coat so you want the surface free of any swirls before you fill in the chips.

This guy has the paint technique down, I think it's all he does. Dr. Color Chip has literally every color possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyHJafJlec

Opti-coat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvj80cB2HLc

the soup to nuts Opti-coating process. It's a wonder why any car ever has to be repainted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8VKGO8D7nM

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-25-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #15
Yeast Rancher

Best polish I've ever used.

Klasse All in One

Beer is offline   Reply With Quote