Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #21

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
According to the Dealer, The Red Clips purpose is not to enable the IR sensors for security, It comes with the Speedhumps, When you put your speedhump on while the top is down, your suppose to place the red clip on as a reminder to remove the humps prior to raising the top...plus you cannot raise your top if the clip is on...its a prevenative measure to keep you from breaking something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh98

To me the thing that does not make sense, is why is the IR alarm enabled with the top up, but not down. One would think exactly the opposite. Someone is more likely to reach into the car with the top down, than break into or cut the top when up.

Mark Hudson
2001 Seal Gray
San Antonio, Texas

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

This is because with the Top Down, there is a great potential for many false alarms. A Leaf falling in the car or an insect passing through would trigger it.

Interestingly, I know the ROW cars have a different alarm system and this IR system activates independent of Top position - I don't know why the USA Cars are different, not aware of any regulations governing it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Personally I have to disagree with the sensitivity of the sensor. I've found that it has to be major movement of generally large objects. I've tested the sensor with the red clip and it does work. However, I recently had my side window smashed in with glass flying everywhere inside the car and.... Nothing. Not a peep! I once set the alarm and then reached in to grab something off the seat.... Nothing. It only went off when I waved my arm around the center of the car.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #23

I agree, Pete. I just bought the red clip and it's pretty much worthless on my 987. I put it on, activated the alarm, then reached in and touched the steering wheel, radio facia, and opened the center storage bin, without triggering the alarm. It wasn't until i reached under the dashboard that the alarm went off.

When i take the car in for its service, I'm gogin to ask about the sensitivity of the infrared .
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #24
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
I agree, Pete. I just bought the red clip and it's pretty much worthless on my 987. I put it on, activated the alarm, then reached in and touched the steering wheel, radio facia, and opened the center storage bin, without triggering the alarm. It wasn't until i reached under the dashboard that the alarm went off.

When i take the car in for its service, I'm gogin to ask about the sensitivity of the infrared .

Damn...you must have long a$$ arms!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
KronixSpeed

"According to the Dealer, The Red Clips purpose is not to enable the IR sensors for security, It comes with the Speedhumps, When you put your speedhump on while the top is down, your suppose to place the red clip on as a reminder to remove the humps prior to raising the top...plus you cannot raise your top if the clip is on...its a prevenative measure to keep you from breaking something."

This makes the most sense..............but when i turn my alarm on, isnt it on. its not like my alarm is only activated when the roof is closed.....i'm kinda lost.

last week, i had one drunk idiot do a dukes of hazard and jump over my door and right into the driver side(he was part of the wedding party, i didnt know him, and i pretty much completly lost my mind as to why this fool would even attempt this). i was in the parking lot and my car was sitting locked/alarm on, windows down, roof down. alarm went off.....

but what i am trying to say is that the alarm was on, and when he jumped in, the alarm went off. so why do i need a red clip. or was i very drunk and not realize how this useless alarm works.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #26

Have any other 987 owners noticed that the red clip interferes with the Bose? I think it's just with 'AP' turned on, but the dynamic processing changes with the roof up or down (I guess that's why there's a sound pause when the roof engages), and if you leave the red clip on the roof-up processing is used.

I've been known to drive with the red clip in place. Sometimes I forget to take it off, sometimes I just leave it on because frankly...it looks cool ! Everyone knows that anything red (e.g. calipers) on Porsches = "Better".

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote