Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #1

swapping 2000 dash for 2003 with glove box

The dash in my 2000 S has the leather coming loose on it. I have taken it to a couple of places, and they do not think that they could fix it. So I am probably going to have to replace it. I have found a 2003 dash with a glove box. Does any one know if I can swap this dash in, or what parts I would need?

Thanks

blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #2

Hi,

Haven't looked up the compatability of swapping the Dash, but suspect it won't be easy.

Leather coming loose from the Dash is a perennial issue for Lotus Esprit Owners (not mine because it's rarely parked in the Sun), and they have a solution which works well, is fairly easy and is permanent.

What they do is acquire a Hypodermic Syringe and use it to inject cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) under the leather. The syringe makes a practically invisible hole and the Glue does not build up , so the leather can be pressed smooth, just as before. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #3

Wouldn't you be putting the glove box where the passenger airbag is? I'd think that would be a problem....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #4

From the way that it looks from pictures, the glove box sits right under where the airbag is currently. In the knee panel area.

Super gluing the leather back down is not an option in my case. It has pulled back about 1inch from the defroster vent.

Since I already have the dash out and sitting in my kitchen, if it would bolt up, it would not be that big a deal to swap.
blackkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #5

I've seen pictures of it being done and it looks like a train wreck. Nothing is impossible though. Rattling issues seem to be an issue. A tip to keep this from happening is to put electrical tape on all the seams and wrapping the screw threads w/ teflon tape. I'm sure if you were crafty enough to get the dash out you'll be able to put it back in. I don't see why you cant upgrade. Shoot toolpants an email. He may have some helpful info on the project. If I had to change my dash out I would definately want to add a glove box while going through the trouble. Storage is a premium in the cabin. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #6

If you find a QUALITY leather/interior shop, they should be able to help you out with a repair.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #7

Bump. I want to do this, for similar reasons. Will likely swap for 996 gauge cluster at same time. I hear this is doable (put a 2003 dash from a 996 in a 2001 BoxS) but may require additional ductwork. I'd like to know if I can keep the angled switches and center cluster from the old dash, for reasons of both aesthetics and cost.

Has anyone out there tried this? What if any extra parts do I need beside the dash itself? and can the old style center cluster be used with new (glove box) dash? Thanks
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

There's an aluminum bar that runs under the dash along it's entire length on my 2000 that goes right across the spot where the glove box would be. I'm not sure what they did in 03 to add the glove box but I'm pretty sure the bar would need to change.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote