Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #21

so if the car is "locked" then the cabin's frunk / trunk releases do not work? i did not know this. or was it because the alarm was activated the car decided to disable releasing the hoods?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #22

Garage
You can sometimes reach that cable by removing the head light. Thereby avoiding removing the bumper to set it up for the two point relese. Then you add some extension to itt mking release with the tire on easier.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
so if the car is "locked" then the cabin's frunk / trunk releases do not work? i did not know this. or was it because the alarm was activated the car decided to disable releasing the hoods?
My trunk and frunk releases work when the car (2003 S) is locked.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #24

It's actually the alarm system that disables the release buttons for the frunk and trunk. The situation might surely be different between various versions of the car (reminder: ours is a 2001 S).

The headlight trick might be great to extend the emergency release cable ourselves, but there's no way to take it out when you're stranded keyless, like what happened to us last weekend.

An extra key is definitely on the shopping list. But hiding it in the body of the car, then you're seriously compromising the security of the car. Rather make sure that two people both have a copy of the key, so if one person loses it/gets his or her bag stolen, the other one saves the day. Leaving key #2 at home is alright if you're caught at the groceries store, but on vacation two days driving from home, it'll make you swear big-time!

Any way, I'm glad that several people got a wake-up call over our 'situation'. Thanks again for all the input! Un grand merci from up north!
YogiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #25

My 2 cents...

Relocate the FRUNK emergency cable to behind the tow hook cover. Do this by removing the front bumper cover. It's easier that way and you can clean the radiators at the same time.

If you ever have the rear cover removed, relocate the TRUNK emergency cable to behind the driver side bumperette.

Why do these mods? It's simple. If you're 100 miles from home, a spare key has little value. Second, if the cables are relocated, you don't need to fool around with pulling off tires, wheel well covers, hooking spare batteries, etc.

BTW: one needs a Trox driver to remove the rear umperette. I keep one in the tool bag in the FRUNK, which makes opening the rear a 5 minute several step process- open FRUNK, get driver, remove bumperette, open rear trunk.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiB View Post
The headlight trick might be great to extend the emergency release cable ourselves, but there's no way to take it out when you're stranded keyless, like what happened to us last weekend.
Yes - It was a suggestion of something to do now. To prepare for the next scenario - like a dead battery - because you may never see the key locked in the frunk again.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #27

Garage
I had the same problem, I had disconnected the battery for a long term storage (5 weeks) and must have armed the security controls. By adding 12v. to the C3 terminal and following the listed fixes, I was able to open the front hood.
Thanks to all!
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #28

Does anyone have any idea how to get in the rear trunk? I can hear the cable being released, but the trunk won't open??
Old 11-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofarmer View Post
Does anyone have any idea how to get in the rear trunk? I can hear the cable being released, but the trunk won't open??
Use the Search function or this thing called Google. There are numerous posts and articles on this topic:

Access rear trunk release cable - Fixya

RennsportKC – Porsche Boxster Rear Trunk Lid Release Repair Rennsport Kansas City

Tags
2001 , alarm , boxster s , keys , locked