Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

In case you missed it: Cayman GT4

Already testing at N-ring.

~$100K

Spy photo gallery from C&D

Automobile Magazine:
"Our spy photographer recently caught Porsche testing a Cayman GT4, powered by a 425-hp engine, at the Nürburgring.
The powerplant is said to be either a turbocharged flat four plug-in hybrid or a conventionally hybrid-assisted version of the current 3.4-liter flat six."

And unfortunately the Boxster, the best handling Porsche of all (with a conventional engine) seems like it will max out at 330 HP in the current GTS, still 20 HP down from the base 991. Too bad, on equal power the Boxster would be quicker than both Cayman and 991.

video of the rear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLIPC9_jW6I

arteest rendering in that Mexico Blue
http://www.roadmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/porsche-cayman-gt4.jpg

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-30-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
... either a turbocharged flat four plug-in hybrid or a conventionally hybrid-assisted version of the current 3.4-liter flat six."
Is the 918 hybrid world now completely upon us?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Is the 918 hybrid world now completely upon us?
I think blowing out 7:00 at the N-ring left an impression on Dr. P & Co.
Apparently there was some pace left on the table even with that record-breaker.

Hybrid Makes sense, instant torque exactly where you need it on the lap, that's going to be very tough to beat. Rear engine p-car with no-hybrid.. definitely have no chance of claiming a faster lap.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I think blowing out 7:00 at the N-ring left an impression on Dr. P & Co.
Apparently there was some pace left on the table even with that record-breaker.

Hybrid Makes sense, instant torque exactly where you need it on the lap, that's going to be very tough to beat. Rear engine p-car with no-hybrid.. definitely have no chance of claiming a faster lap.
However, the hybrid thing is a bit of a "One Lap Wonder". As soon as the battery wears down, no mo' instant torque. So, I wonder if this approach will really work in a GT-3 or GT-4 Porsche?
1979 911 SC
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
However, the hybrid thing is a bit of a "One Lap Wonder". As soon as the battery wears down, no mo' instant torque. So, I wonder if this approach will really work in a GT-3 or GT-4 Porsche?
Well you have to think about the 919, when did it have to go into the pit to be charged? Is energy recovery as far as it needs to be yet, likely no, but it does make the hybrid systems viable for racing.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
commercially it will absolutely work. The typical GT3 buyer is not going flat out for 7 minutes neither are they doing any track work. Only a very small part would empty the cartridge so to speak. For the rest it's just a here and there type thrill to wow their buddy in the passenger seat. A sort of glimpse of what a record N-ring lap feels like.

But in the long-term, hybrids are here to stay in track-oriented sports cars. It's just the start before they go all electric.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-30-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
commercially it will absolutely work. The typical GT3 buyer is not going flat out for 7 minutes neither are they doing any track work. Only a very small part would empty the cartridge so to speak. For the rest it's just a here and there type thrill to wow their buddy in the passenger seat. A sort of glimpse of what a record N-ring lap feels like.

But in the long-term, hybrids are here to stay in track-oriented sports cars. It's just the start before they go all electric.
Data says that 70% of GT-3 owners track their car. Still not sure how batteries will work in a GT-3 or GT-4.

Car Review: 2010 Porsche 911 GT3 | Driving
1979 911 SC
Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
It wont be a "One Lap Wonder". The F-1 cars use some form of the technology now in the 2014 cars. Instant torque would be something to get used to though.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Can someone provide a link to a car that is available to the public today that provides an infinite amount of regen energy?

If not, then any hybrid car available today is a one (or two or three) lap wonder because the battery will eventually run down and the car will lose significant power. This happens to the 918 and its one of the best of the best at this moment in time.

Certainly this type of tech exists and is in some race cars, but I don't think that its filtered down to street cars quite yet.
1979 911 SC
Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

Garage
The idea is that in track conditions, the breaking is enough to allow you to always have some charge as long as you conserve it. Due to lack of better comparison, the system honestly works most like the rechargeable sort of boost in arcade racing games.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

That capability to have instant power on hand must make it hard to pass others when racing.

You basically have to wait for a poor line or some other mistake in order to pass since power management is less of an issue.

Now the tires will have to get grippier to keep up with the added torque.

Someone will be making biologically inspired Gecko grip tires before long. A product like that will make you a billionaire pretty quick.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 06-30-2014 at 11:18 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

[QUOTE=thstone;408020]

Quote:
Data says that 70% of GT-3 owners track their car. Still not sure how batteries will work in a GT-3 or GT-4.

Car Review: 2010 Porsche 911 GT3 | Driving
I heard Porsche throw out that figure, I've also seen 80% by them.
I'm thinking they are including folks who have attended at least one beginner's PCA DE and counting that as a
typical track driver. Porsche do not stand by their warranty once a GT3 hits the track. Are 70% of those owners saying "F*@% it... if I blow up the engine at Sebring today who cares"?
I'm skeptical...
If you poll owners for those who track their GT3 at least twice per year, I'm thinking that 70% figure comes down substantially and more inline with typical Porsche ownership.

As for the hybrid stuff, maybe the Cayman GT4 will be a sort of high performance guinea pig.
A 425 HP mid engine, shorter wheel base Porsche is bound to attract the attention of a lot of track drivers. Well ones with deep pockets. c7 with track goodies on board can be had for same money and a full warranty to boot.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-30-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #13

thstone - as far as battery regen goes, I imagine they'd use regenerative braking: Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website - Understanding F1 Racing - Energy Recovery Systems (ERS)

Because the high-torque power demand typically follows a braking event, the power is available on corner exit.

A similar system is used on many road-going hybrids & electric cars.

Full disclosure - I HATE traditional hybrids & electrics (and their pretentious owners).