Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #1

new to the 986 world

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background. I'm 17 years old, I DD a 944 for the past year (with some major repairs of course, I did all the work myself) and I just upgraded to a 97 986.

I bought the 944 a year ago and did some repairs including camshaft repairs, belt tensions, rollers, but no head or cylinder work. For fun we stripped out some dead weight, put konis suspension on it, short shifter, new shift linkages and a few other bits and pieces. I decided that I would never be happy with the 944s lack of power and started looking for a 944 turbo. During the search I flew out to Florida to visit my grandparents and while there I had the opportunity to test drive a 06 Cayman S and loved every moment. I knew the 944 turbo would actually be faster with a few mods but I didn't care. I knew I wanted that platform. Reality then struck and told me I couldn't afford a $30,000 car at 16 years old (of course lol).

When we got back from Florida I started the search for a boxster and found nothing, I found a 944 turbo but could never see it due to the lack of cooperation from the owner. Fast forward a month and I have a buyer for my 944, luckily I was able to break even on it and a day later I found a 986 being sold for 5800. Needs some work but that's ok. I talked to the guy and after adding my own cash (my parents aren't paying for anything on this car) I found I had enough money.

Needless to say I now own a 97 986 with 116k miles. interior is pretty good just needs a new shift boot and the little mirror adjustment panel on the A pillar, The automatic top doesn't work because one of the arms snapped, I found it for $80. Unfortunatly I dont have any money to fix even these little things for 2 reasons.

1. Spent all my free cash on the car
2. Im extremely close to getting my private pilots license (Future career.) and a good 90% of my money is going to that...

so yeah thats my story...

Rules of flying: Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It it much more difficult to fly in these areas.

Last edited by holtzy822; 06-27-2014 at 08:07 PM.
holtzy822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forums. Seems like the car couldn't have found a better owner!:dance:

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzy822 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background. I'm 17 years old, I DD a 944 for the past year (with some major repairs of course, I did all the work myself) and I just upgraded to a 97 986.

I was waiting to see you here, its jacob from instagram! Congrats! Your car reminds me alot of my old one, im gonna miss that car alot!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #4

welcome! and best of luck with your new endeavor. take your time and do your homework and you'll do fine with your new baby. this forum and others will prove to be a wonderful resource. once again welcome to the community..
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #5

Very nice , welcome to the club!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

thanks all guys! Jacob I've been stalking the forums for a week or so now and I wasnt totally sure if it was you or not lol congrats again on the S!
Rules of flying: Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It it much more difficult to fly in these areas.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Buy the 101 projects for your Boxster book and check Pelican for parts.

Congrats and welcome!

Maaaaaaaaaaaveriiiiiiick!!!!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Garage
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Always great to see young guys figure out they can drive a Porsche! I wish I had figured it out back then! Good luck on your future career, now is a good time to get into aviation. The majority of professional pilots will be retiring in the next 10-15 years so you are well positioned. I am one of those, about 12 years left!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #9

never mind guess not. I was suposed to pick up the boxster next week (earliest time I could get) and the owner decided he was going to sell it out from under me AFTER I put a deposit! to top it all off there aren't any more boxsters in my area I can afford!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
never mind guess not. I was suposed to pick up the boxster next week (earliest time I could get) and the owner decided he was going to sell it out from under me AFTER I put a deposit! to top it all off there aren't any more boxsters in my area I can afford!
Oh man, that really stinks Well, you will just have to keep a look out for a better one, there will be more.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #11

thats the problem there isnt. Everything in my area is horribly over priced and everyone just drives automatic.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

Garage
Patience, you will find the right one. It took me months to find mine.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 06-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #13

Garage
Worst case scenario, winter prices are alot cheaper!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #14

I need a car within a week, I already sold my 944! i might just end up getting a 944 turbo or... bmw 325 (EWWWWWW but avalible)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #15

Garage
Yep! And you are going to need some patience and perseverance for your aviation career. Good practice!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 06-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #16

Garage
Yeah worst case with a Boxster is impulse quick buying. Just don't buy anything you could loose money on in between now and then. I'd hate for you to spend a ton to upkeep a BMW than miss out on a boxster.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #17

Yeah I just ruled out the bmw. Too much work on them. But I need a car so I can go to the airport and such. And everyone in California seems to think their cars are worth 2x what they actually are. Like 99 boxsters with 160k miles for 10k
Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #18

Garage
2001 Porsche Champaign silver Boxster

2.7 with a new ims here... a bit oddly cheap but it does have high miles... this cars probably worth 9 though which it could be a too good to be true thing.. if you can afford this car and a PPI I would suggest it! They are asking cash only so things are odd. Run a carfax for sure and get a ppi and this car is good to go.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #19

1999 Porsche Boxster convertible good cond found this, Very high miles but its something i can afford. I texted him for pictures and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE dark blue porsches.... the IMS concern is pretty much out of the question as it would have failed by then but the high miles kinda bothers me...
Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
1999 Porsche Boxster convertible good cond found this, Very high miles but its something i can afford. I texted him for pictures and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE dark blue porsches.... the IMS concern is pretty much out of the question as it would have failed by then but the high miles kinda bothers me...
Strangly cheap again, ive never seen one under 5.5.... but hey im sure its a sold car, alot of folks here run cars way over 200k.. just keep changing water pumps and AOSs as they fail every 70 to 100k and keep on truckin... Suspension rework and such is good to do higher mileage, Best of luck, I hope the car is in good shape!