Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPorsche987 View Post
What you're saying doesn't make much sense. You "finally" sold your car? Why? I thought you said you sold your car long ago--before you lost the Boxster you wanted.

And you don't yet have your private but you own an airplane?
cheaper to buy an airplane to get your private than rent one. I have an entire spreadsheet explaining it if you want.
And they guy never came to pick up the car way back when... been trying to sell it ever since.

Rules of flying: Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It it much more difficult to fly in these areas.
holtzy822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #42

What airplane do you have? What's the TBO? An airplane has to be flown at least a few hundred hours a year in order to bring the hourly operating cost within range of an FBO's hourly rental. And you were complaining that you'd be without a car, and unable to get to the airport. so,since you didn't find a Boxster to buy, why did you sell?
FirstPorsche987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #43

I have a cessna 150, 900 hours since overhaul and so i have 1100 before it needs to be overhauled. And my operating cost is 50 a month for insurance and tie downs and 15 an hour for maintenance with overhaul factored in. Put 25 on top of that for fuel (4-6 GPH at 5.10 a gallon) and its 40 per hour to fly. Beats 80 per hour for a 150 at a flight school. I don't know why I'm even explaining this to you, I know exactly how much I spend and how much it costs to rent an airplane.

And I sold it because I had a buyer lined up and my dads gone for the next 3 months so I get to drive his Audi wherever I need. I'm sure I can find a car in 3 months.

And no. You dont need to fly 100 hours a year (which I do anyways) to make it equal to a flight school. Partner up with someone and its cheaper than renting a cub at a FS
Rules of flying: Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It it much more difficult to fly in these areas.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzy822 View Post
I have a cessna 150, 900 hours since overhaul and so i have 1100 before it needs to be overhauled. And my operating cost is 50 a month for insurance and tie downs and 15 an hour for maintenance with overhaul factored in. Put 25 on top of that for fuel (4-6 GPH at 5.10 a gallon) and its 40 per hour to fly. Beats 80 per hour for a 150 at a flight school. I don't know why I'm even explaining this to you, I know exactly how much I spend and how much it costs to rent an airplane.

And I sold it because I had a buyer lined up and my dads gone for the next 3 months so I get to drive his Audi wherever I need. I'm sure I can find a car in 3 months.

And no. You dont need to fly 100 hours a year (which I do anyways) to make it equal to a flight school. Partner up with someone and its cheaper than renting a cub at a FS
Yes, this is the best/cheapest way to build to build time. Good for you. When I was getting my ratings and building time, I was paying $12/hour dry for a 150 as part of a flying club, also a good way to go. With fuel it was around $18/hour total. Good luck, the future is bright for a young guy/gal in aviation since most of us old guys will be retiring in the next 10 to 15 years
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #45

hehe yup! hopefully I can afford a boxster by the time I make it to a major ahaha
Old 10-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #46

You make less and less sense with each post. You fly 100+ hours/year and you don't have your private yet? $50/mo to insure an airplane being flown by a student pilot? Please.

Yeah. A good way to build hours is to join a flying club--it's the best you can do. But owning, insuring, and maintaining a 30+ year old Cessna 150 that spends most of its time on the ground? Not hardly. How any more $700 motor mounts can you afford?
FirstPorsche987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I was waiting to see you here, its jacob from instagram! Congrats! Your car reminds me alot of my old one, im gonna miss that car alot!
nice to see other teenage boxster owners!
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #48

one of the reasons i visit this forum less and less. pointless threads...
LagerAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #49

Quote:

I think TBO on a 0-200 is 1800 hours.

Although every one I have seen can go far past TBO.
brjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPorsche987 View Post
You make less and less sense with each post. You fly 100+ hours/year and you don't have your private yet? $50/mo to insure an airplane being flown by a student pilot? Please.

Yeah. A good way to build hours is to join a flying club--it's the best you can do. But owning, insuring, and maintaining a 30+ year old Cessna 150 that spends most of its time on the ground? Not hardly. How any more $700 motor mounts can you afford?
I'm pretty sure I've made it apparent that I don't solely own the airplane. I have partners like any sane person would to build hours. Between the 3 of us, yes, the airplane does fly 100 hours a month.

$50 a month is to cover insurance and other yearly maintenance items like annuals. I personally think you don't get your moneys worth when you join a flying club. If I want to fly my airplane I don't want to have to schedule it a month in advance so the other 10 people in the club aren't flying it. I have a very good relationship with my partners. If I want to fly, I send a text out and get in the airplane.

An hour and $20 in fuel later I've just flown an hour solo for a total of $32.

You must really not know much about owning an airplane because a 50 year old cessna costs the same to maintain as a 20 or 10 year old cessna. I honestly don't know why I try to explain this to you, you just seem to be in denial. And by the way, our insurance is 900 a year. Which is 25 per person per month. The other 25 is, like stated before, for annuals and other items like transponder testing.
And I ended up selling the 944 and buying an Audi TT quattro.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #51

Garage
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've made it apparent that I don't solely own the airplane. I have partners like any sane person would to build hours. Between the 3 of us, yes, the airplane does fly 100 hours a month.

$50 a month is to cover insurance and other yearly maintenance items like annuals. I personally think you don't get your moneys worth when you join a flying club. If I want to fly my airplane I don't want to have to schedule it a month in advance so the other 10 people in the club aren't flying it. I have a very good relationship with my partners. If I want to fly, I send a text out and get in the airplane.

An hour and $20 in fuel later I've just flown an hour solo for a total of $32.

You must really not know much about owning an airplane because a 50 year old cessna costs the same to maintain as a 20 or 10 year old cessna. I honestly don't know why I try to explain this to you, you just seem to be in denial. And by the way, our insurance is 900 a year. Which is 25 per person per month. The other 25 is, like stated before, for annuals and other items like transponder testing.

And I ended up selling the 944 and buying an Audi TT quattro.

The TT is nice! Should keep its value well so when you need the money out of it on the back end for a boxster, you'll be pretty safe. Keep your eyes peeled over the winter, prices drop on boxsters, the gap between the 2000 models and the 2.5s is growing so getting a 2.5 for under 7 is reasonably easy, and on rare occasions I've seen the close to 5. I bet you could make a profit on the audi as well. (it looked clean!)

Gotta say though, TTs are way too small for me, the window line is at my chest
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #52

aha yeah the window line is really high and vis out isnt the best. I actually needed to raise the seat up so I wouldnt hit any curbs lol. I'm going to keep the TT for a while, At least until I move to florida in july.