Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 04:18 AM   #21

I like it too. If you wanted to go back to the original color again, does that new finish peel off?

Old 06-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
Yes like in the movie "the jackal"! Yes please tell us how much. The kit on dipyourcar.com is a few hundred...
I'm sure a DIY'er can do it a lot cheaper, but I don't have that kind of patience LOL It was $550 for the body of the car including the hardtop, $125 for the brake calipers, and $155 for the wheels.

And to answer one of the other questions, yes, supposedly if I were to peel it off, the paint would be fine beneath the dip.
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #23

Does it get hotter than regular paint in the sun?

I'm not a fan of partial Matte finishes on a car but I have to admit it does look more interesting when the whole car is matte.

I wonder if they have a radar/laser absorbing stealth matte black finish?

Does plastidip have a shiny chrome color, that would be cool. I like shiny things.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Does plastidip have a shiny chrome color, that would be cool. I like shiny things.
They do not have a chrome but they do have some metallic's - you can find all of the colors here: https://www.dipyourcar.com/colors.html

I love Plastidip. Its amazingly durable and so easy to touch up its almost ridiculous.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I'm sure a DIY'er can do it a lot cheaper, but I don't have that kind of patience LOL It was $550 for the body of the car including the hardtop, $125 for the brake calipers, and $155 for the wheels.

And to answer one of the other questions, yes, supposedly if I were to peel it off, the paint would be fine beneath the dip.
Seriously?!? Only like $500 for the car? that is crazy cheap! I'd have to spend $200 in materials to do it myself! I may drive out to TX to have mine done!

I did my wheels myself (yes, home depot rattle can) and they came out GREAT! Cost me like $15 and took 3 hrs. I Was considering doing the whole car myself (yellow!) but wow - $500...

great job!!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #26

How does washing the car work? It always confused me on how "easy" it is to peel off and get your original car color back.....if its so "easy" to remove it seems that washing the car would end up potentially peeling a corner off and giving problems. Can you wash plasti dip the same way you would regular paint? How long does it last?

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
How does washing the car work? It always confused me on how "easy" it is to peel off and get your original car color back.....if its so "easy" to remove it seems that washing the car would end up potentially peeling a corner off and giving problems. Can you wash plasti dip the same way you would regular paint? How long does it last?

This is what they say about washing.
How to Wash PlastiDip - DipYourCar.com Introduces the Dip Washer - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q37dZ2YdXl4
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #28
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
Unfortunately, that whole "peels off easily" thing is a myth. Yes, compared to paint it peels off easily, but it's going to be tedious.
I've been running plasti-dipped wheels for 16 months, and I have yet to have a single "chip" or peeled area.

The key to washing is plenty of soap (for lube) and a soft sponge
Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #29

It came out great. I'd like to do a brighter blue for my car some day, and this looks like a great way to go.

Can you do a follow up post in a few months to let us know how it's holding up? I'm interested in knowing how the calipers do to. I was concerned htat htye would get too warm and that the dip might come off.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post

Can you do a follow up post in a few months to let us know how it's holding up?

Will do (If I remember, I'll be right in the middle of another semester by then, ugh)
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #31

Apparently this is a heck of a deal if you are looking for red Plasti Dip. Just saw it on Deal News and thought of you guys.

Amazon.com: Performix 10101S-4PK Red Plasti Dip Spray - 1 Gallon, (Pack of 4): Automotive

ETA: $75.44 for 4 gallons.