Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

It's gone, but ...

Well, last weekend while I was in Denver attending a training session my wife came around a blind corner and rear ended another car (stopped because an RV pulled out in front of it from a turnout after letting a few motorcycles pass). She is OK (just bruises, sprains, and back ache), but we needed to get a new car since the Ford Escape Hybrid was totaled by AAA. So to sum it up, I traded in my Boxster base, gave Ford the 9K from the AAA claim, and financed 15K or so at 0% and we drove off with a 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid. Since my wife and I commute to work together now (she works in a school just before my office) this will work out better than two separate cars (financially anyway).

So that's the bas news. The good news is I now (since I gave up my Boxster base) get to buy a newer Porsche. At a minimum it will be a Boxster S, but maybe a Caymen or 911. Not sure yet and only time will tell what I will wind up with, but sooner or later another Porsche will be in my garage. In fact, since we are looking at a new house next year I'll just have to make sure there is enough room in the garage for the cars.

I will be getting pictures of my no longer needed Boxster parts, but until I do if anyone is interested in my PST2 (computer based with spare computer), stock front 911 turbo bumper (black) with fiberglass lower, third radiator kit (80% complete - new radiator), oil change kit, 4 5 QT containers of Mobil 1, spark plugs, spark plug tubes, 6.5" Kicker subwoofers, etc. shoot me a PM. I'm in the Palm Springs area of Southern California and it is best for local pickup of the bigger items.

I already miss my Boxster, but have to say it will be fun looking for a replacement. Particularly now I know more about them and which models are of primary interest.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #2

geeze. what'd ford give you for the boxster? about $3k?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

Knowing what I know now I would go with a 2006 or later to avoid the IMS dilemma completely . SO sorry about the accident and hope your wife recovers completely and quickly

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Knowing what I know now I would go with a 2006 or later to avoid the IMS dilemma completely . SO sorry about the accident and hope your wife recovers completely and quickly

Dwight
2006 still has an IMS. I think it is not till 2008 or 2009 that the new engine debuted without an IMS.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post

Dwight
06, 07 and 08 still have an IMS and can experience failure. beginning with the 09 model porsche removed the IMS completely. so to "avoid the IMS dilemma completely" you'd need to purchase an 09 or later model.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #6

"at a minimum" it will be a Boxster S?

Boxster S, Cayman (aka Boxster Coupe) and 911.

That is the order of best to worst handling. Contrary to popular belief... which has it the other way around completely.

If I didn't have this car, I'd go for a Boxster Spyder or 996 GT3 (coolant pipes already addressed).
Lower down the budget wish list I'd go 987.2 Boxster S or Cayman S or maybe a 964 work in progress.
But even though I only drive weekends I still rack up more mileage than can allow for an air-cooled garage queen car.
And I doubt I will ever be happy a sports car with a tin top as my only sports car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-23-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #7

I got about 7K for the trade in. Pretty much KBB and I was fine with that. paid a bit more for all the add-ons, but basically wound up with a 7 year 125,000 bumper to bumper warranty and a 6 year maintenance plan. So, it is a fixed cost for the car (aside from gas and tires) for 6 years. Which is just what the wife needed.

I am definitely having issues with what to buy next though. It will either be a newer (no IMS) Boxster S or Caymen or a pre-99 911 (unless something pretty spectacular crops up for more recent models) as I like the body shape better. But I have not driven a pre-99 911 either and may decide it is just not the type of car I want (handling and creature comforts). Have to give it some time.

Of course, I could always win the Porsche lottery and then would be set.