Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Dumb Question - Oil Filter Adapter

Hi everyone:

I just bought an LN oil filter adapter. The installation comments I've read say to lubricate the two O rings with fresh oil when installing.

I see one O ring on the part. Where is the second one? Is it in the assembly that's on the car already. Or, perhaps it's on the filter?

I've always had the local Indie change the oil so I've never seen the set up.

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #2

Garage
There is an o ring that seats the housing cover that you usually replace with the paper filter. Im guessing the spin on filter adapter has one there where it meets the car and im assuming the other is the gasket on the spin on oil filter. Could be wrong as I dont have a spin on myself.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #3

Ha! I had the same exact question.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/50200-installing-ln-engineering-oil-filter-adapter-where-does-2nd-o-ring-go.html

The big o-ring goes right where you would expect, in the same place it would go if you were using the factory oil canister.

The small one goes on the other side, just inside the center hole that slips over the tube in the car that the paper filter goes on.

In my case, that o-ring was already installed, and it was black, and the metal was black, and I couldn't see it, I thought it was just a lip on the metal. Only when I ran my finger on it could I feel that it was o-ring material

I installed it my last oil change a few weeks ago, was simple to do.

Good luck!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

I found the 2nd O ring. It is internal at one end of the central tube. You can see it if you look closely.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote