Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #1

Installing the LN Engineering Oil Filter Adapter - where does the 2nd o-ring go?

I bought one of these used from here, and I will be installing it soon. It came with 2 O-rings: a big one to seal the adapter to the car (the same one for the original style canister) and a smaller one. I do not know where the smaller one is supposed to go, or where to get a new one from (since the one that came with it is presumably used although it seems new)

I found these instructions here:
Spin On Oil Filter Adapter for Porsche 911, Boxster, Cayenne S/Turbo, and Cayman models

That say:

"Lubricate both o-rings prior to installation with appropriate o-ring lubricant."

Has anyone that has got one of these new let me know if it came with 2 O-rings and if so where the smaller one goes?

I have got the previous version that includes a tool for mounting it on the car, instead of the built-in nut like the newer ones (shown on the linked page above)

Thanks

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #2

That one is actually an included hair-tie for your wife/significant other so you can enjoy more top down cruising!!!

sorry had to.

I would presume the large one goes around the spin on piece that goes against the case, and the smaller one goes on the gold colored fitting that the filter spins on to.

Only an assumption! Best of luck!
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

The second O-ring goes inside the adaptor on the engine side.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The second O-ring goes inside the adaptor on the engine side.
I see now, thank you. My o-ring is stretched out because it was wrapped around the nut on the installation tool so I will need to run down a smaller one that is the right size. When I try to put my existing o-ring in the engine side, about 5mm or so flops around and doubles over. Maybe I am doing it wrong, does it go in the groove on the edge, or does it go down in the bottom of the shaft on the engine side? if there is a detent down there I could wedge the o-ring down there and it would take up the extra space. I should probably email to LN Engineering so I can get the size of the o-ring so I can get a new one.

Thank you!

Steve
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

I just called, the o-ring is 3x32 and it goes right in the little groove at the top of the engine side just like you said. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I just called, the o-ring is 3x32 and it goes right in the little groove at the top of the engine side just like you said. Thanks again.
Any time......................
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #7

I figured out why I couldn't get the 2nd o-ring to fit... There was already one in place... I am so blind, I am way past due for bifocals...
Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I figured out why I couldn't get the 2nd o-ring to fit... There was already one in place... I am so blind, I am way past due for bifocals...
That I cannot help you with..................