Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #1

Boxster as Daily Driver

I have an 02 Base TIP Boxster I use as daily driver.

I've followed this forum for over a year now, getting tips and information that has definitely made my driving experience so much better.

Lately I've become worried as to what I kept reading as "engine abuse". Throughout this forum I keep reading about "keeping the revs up" but It seems the ECU on a Tiptronic doesn't agree; it shifts by the time it reaches around the 3K or even less.
My commute is being stuck in traffic for 13 minutes and I end up driving at 1900 revs on 5th.
I feel like my car is an untamable horse that I keep forcing to go slow. I can really feel its happiness when it's allowed to roam free [of speed limits].

I wanted to hear the experiences of those who use it as a daily driver.
Any input is apreciated.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 AM   #2

I'd say your Boxster is better off than the one that gets driven hard once a week. Mine is a daily and I typicaly run it up to red line a few times a day and then just drive it "normally" and don't worry about it.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
If you have tiptronic I would think that it is hard to keep revs up. Speaking from my point of view as I have a manual and we don't have the traffic tieups that you have.

I take my car out in the country quite often to get the revs up. I have the IMS Guardian so I don't really think too much about it. Drive it regularly and get the revs up frequently as I am sure it was intended for that.

If I lived in a major city I would likely have a tiptronic too!
Guy
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

Living in a city, I'm glad I have a tip, I'd go nuts if I had a manual with the amount of time I'm stuck in traffic.
I also got the IMS issue solved at the same time I rebuilt my tranny.
I'm the weekend I take it to the highway and let her run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

Garage
My left leg is twice as big as my right.

Manual transmission, driving through Chicago twice a day.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #6

I daily drive my 01 S but its a manual so getting revs up is not an issue.

Perhaps an occasional auto-cross will let the blood flow more vigorously and make you into a higher performance driver.

Nothing much you can do about traffic except relax and turn up the music.

Even with a manual traffic is not a bit deal with the Boxster as there are other distractions.

I had one manual where the clutch was so heavy that I would get cramps in my left leg after 30 minutes of traffic jam.

Haaa Toad funny!
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #7

You know you can run a tip car in "manual" ?

Also , sat at lights push the thumb bottom to select 1 , this will give you a bit of a rev up before auto mode takes over again .
It will go to first automatically if you floor it , but it's slightly quicker to have it in first all ready .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #8

I also have a 02 Tip as a DD.

Drive it in MANUAL mode 100% of the time...
psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #9

do you have the low temp thermostat? And I assume being in Mijami you run the AC pretty much from the moment you put the key in the ignition? How many miles on the water pump and did you update to the latest coolant cap?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
do you have the low temp thermostat? And I assume being in Mijami you run the AC pretty much from the moment you put the key in the ignition? How many miles on the water pump and did you update to the latest coolant cap?

I'm the fourth owner so I don't know if I have the low temp thermostat, but I assume no.
I also know the water pump has been replaced at some point but the car came with no paperwork. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it was fine.
I don't think I have the latest coolant cap, but I'll try to find out.
And yeah, most of the time the AC is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #11

Garage
Having issues getting revs up eh, try the blue pill.... I kid I kid, but I learned to shift my 986 in auto mode just with my right foot. The tip is pretty smart, give your a spanking or two and she will know to keep the revs up haha.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
pjv

Garage
Mine is an 04 base tip, which I use around the city and also frequently on long country drives. I agree that the tip shifts up far too early when in auto mode, and similarly downshifts too late in my opinion. So in the city I use manual mode much of the time, which is far more enjoyable, and the car seems to run better for it I think. In auto mode it is difficult to keep the revs up without breaking speed limits all of the time, which in this place is guaranteed to lose one's driver's licence in no time at all! It is a pity the the Boxster does not have a sport-auto mode like my previous BMW had, since that kept the revs up comfortably. Before I had the IMS Solution fitted I used to worry about keeping revs up to the recommended level, but now I don't think about it much.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #13

Garage
Mine's a daily driver, covers 70 miles a work day at 85 mph or 3250 rpm. I wanted to put the low temp thermostat in and was planning on replacing the WP in the near future. During the 90K service they found the WP was leaking and they didn't have nor recommend the LTT (indy shop). I had them replace the WP and the OEM thermostat since the labor was negligible while they were there. After further research I wish I had put in the LTT, and still may. I have a friend who has a jack and I might do it myself since it gets hot here a lot.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Mine's a daily driver, covers 70 miles a work day at 85 mph or 3250 rpm. I wanted to put the low temp thermostat in and was planning on replacing the WP in the near future. During the 90K service they found the WP was leaking and they didn't have nor recommend the LTT (indy shop). I had them replace the WP and the OEM thermostat since the labor was negligible while they were there. After further research I wish I had put in the LTT, and still may. I have a friend who has a jack and I might do it myself since it gets hot here a lot.
Not a particularly hard DYI.

If you want a good Boxster mechanic at good rates check out
Danny at Silent Automotive here in Austin.

He's rebuilt probably 10 M96 engines and nows the Boxsters very well.

BTW, I DD my Boxster S for 4 years before wife said I need 4 seats :-)

mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #15
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Don't buy a 981 Boxster with PDK if low RPMs bother you . It will run around at 43mph (69kph) in 7th gear! Mine is a 2.7L engine Base 981.

So the question is does this really hurt the engines and is Porsche more concerned about mpg or how long the engine will last. Well I know the 986 has the IMS and they clearly weren't worried about that .
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 AM   #16

Garage
Mine is a daily driver - 2003 2.7L and a manual. I have a Gemballa exhaust so it's almost always up in revs to combat any drone (I think it's telling me to keep the revs up somehow). Water pump finally died yesterday so back into the shop on Monday. Other than that, it runs well, gets some 'spirited' driving each day and has really been trouble free for the three years that I've owned it.

By the way it has 195,000 km's (121,167miles) on it now with no real issues at all - have I been one of the lucky ones? I am in Australia though with a warm tropical climate - lucky to get down to 21C (70F) in the Winter.
notworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #17

I daily drive and the highlight of every morning at one spot is a wide open road with zero cars thanks to the light timings. Red lined to 70 mph everyday! Life is too short to drive a boring car daily.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote