Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #21

Why won't they drive them ?
What secret mods did you do to make them undriveable that one time ?
I've tried everything upto now .
It's riding on the bumps stops as we speak

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is the Chick Car Index;

Read the whole report at: Chick Cars: The Scientific Report. | Grasping for Objectivity
I gotta say, that chart is indeed bang on. My daughter wanted a Beetle sooo bad, my nickel my choice so it was a Civic.

Coincidentally, at yesterday's auto cross event a relatively stock looking MazdaSpeed Miata that he drove there came in second behind a tricked out / stripped out trailered Corvette. Tossing the living crap out of my Miata on the autocross course is great fun, can't recommend them enough.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I gotta say, that chart is indeed bang on. My daughter wanted a Beetle sooo bad, my nickel my choice so it was a Civic.

Coincidentally, at yesterday's auto cross event a relatively stock looking MazdaSpeed Miata that he drove there came in second behind a tricked out / stripped out trailered Corvette. Tossing the living crap out of my Miata on the autocross course is great fun, can't recommend them enough.
wouldn't it be cool to push a 200 hp, 2300# car through the cones? yes it is, it's a Miata with a blower..
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
wouldn't it be cool to push a 200 hp, 2300# car through the cones? yes it is, it's a Miata with a blower..
That along with VERY reasonable costs. I recently went through everything on my 64k mile '99 NB to start with a solid baseline, Items I dealt with;

-New Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / Cap / Thermostat
-New Coolant
-New Centric Brake Rotors F & R
-New Hawk Pads
-New Mazda Timing Belt / Idlers / Water Pump / Cam and Crank Seals
-New Accessory Belts
-All New Mazda Rubber Hoses
-New NGK Plugs and Wires
-New Trans and Diff Fluids
-Some other small items

Granted I did all of the work myself which was pretty easy with Keith Tanner's book but all in for parts was ~ $800. Good Luck doing that with a Porsche.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #25

Whoever put that chart together was not in Texas. The national chick car of Texas is the Ford F150... hands down...
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Although the only tesla roadster I've seen on the road was driven by a female , my commute is at 5:30am and 3:00pm on the 405 .
Pickups and Prius .... Every time ... Guaranteed .
And I've never seen a 918 on the road . Yet .
I have a dude in my neighbohrhood who commutes in a Model S. I'm usually on my track bike when I see him but we must have similar schedules, because I see him merge onto the highway a few times a week. That car hauls tail like nothing else on the road during those hours. It shames many a dinosaur fuel car that tries to block it from merging. People here can be real arse holes at that hour but if that car has even the slightest gap it will get there lickety split. Meanwhile with unrelenting traffic flow, the dino fuel cars can sit there waiting and waiting for a gap to open up for an eternity.
The 918 laptime under 7:00 made perfect sense to me...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-19-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Why won't they drive them ?
What secret mods did you do to make them undriveable that one time ?
I've tried everything upto now .
It's riding on the bumps stops as we speak
Told her that she needs to shift at high rpm or she will break the car and it needs to be driven hard
Now she is afraid to drive it
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I have a dude in my neighbohrhood who commutes in a Model S. I'm usually on my track bike when I see him but we must have similar schedules, because I see him merge onto the highway a few times a week. That car hauls tail like nothing else on the road during those hours. It shames many a dinosaur fuel car that tries to block it from merging. People here can be real arse holes at that hour but if that car has even the slightest gap it will get there lickety split. Meanwhile with unrelenting traffic flow, the dino fuel cars can sit there waiting and waiting for a gap to open up for an eternity.
The 918 laptime under 7:00 made perfect sense to me...

Electric motor = instant torque. Also with the computer checking each wheel all the time, it can make micro adjustments to each wheel to put maximum power without any wheels spin. I have driven the roadster and it's scary fast and silent. Faster than the Lotus it is based on
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 05-19-2014 at 01:20 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #29

^ I think electric cars will soon be making all the gas guzzlers look like the slow pokes. The tech will open up to cars that more aggresive drivers gravitate towards and not just the mild-mannered Prius or Leaf commuter.
When Tesla has a full line up in a price spectrum that can be cross-shopped with the commonly found A4's, 3 series, C class, Acura, Lexus IS and similar, we're going to see a big change in the mindset of car buyers. Tesla have the lowest price ber kilowat-hour firmly in the bag with demand in many more categories than high end touring.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^ I think electric cars will soon be making all the gas guzzlers look like the slow pokes. The tech will open up to cars that more aggresive drivers gravitate towards and not just the mild-mannered Prius or Leaf commuter.
When Tesla has a full line up in a price spectrum that can be cross-shopped with the commonly found A4's, 3 series, C class, Acura, Lexus IS and similar, we're going to see a big change in the mindset of car buyers. Tesla have the lowest price ber kilowat-hour firmly in the bag with demand in many more categories than high end touring.
As much as i love NA cars, i prefer electric to turbo anyday, i wish we could just go back in time to really light low hp cars that are still fun as can be. People just care too much about the numbers these days, forcing companies to turbo charge to keep HP going up, why not downsize, loose some HP, loose some weight, and get better gas mileage all at once. End result is a better car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglz42 View Post
Whoever put that chart together was not in Texas. The national chick car of Texas is the Ford F150... hands down...
Aww crap. I own a Boxster and an F150.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #32

Bfeller, no offense meant! I like the F150 a lot... And I also own a Fiat 500 and a Dodge 3500 so I am all screwed up! LOL!
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Aww crap. I own a Boxster and an F150.
After owning this car for over 10 years I could count on the fingers of one hand at the number of times I've seen a chick driving a Boxster. Around here at least I've easily seen more women driving Carreras, usually Cabs.
Ditto for the F150. I'd be impressed if I saw a girl driving one of those. This guy who whipped up this chart must be from some part of the country I've never been to.

But this chart may reveal a bit of a pre-existing bias.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-19-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglz42 View Post
Bfeller, no offense meant! I like the F150 a lot... And I also own a Fiat 500 and a Dodge 3500 so I am all screwed up! LOL!
No offense taken - my response was in jest.

Overall, I think the choices on that list were probably true. Sure, in some rural areas, women are going to like trucks. But not in places like LA or NYNY. To me, the only transportation item that can be labeled for women is a bicycle. But plenty of women can and do ride the men's style bikes.

BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote