986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When did two-seat sports cars stop being manly? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52213)

ekam 05-18-2014 10:29 AM

When did two-seat sports cars stop being manly?

When Did Two-Seat Sports Cars Stop Being Manly? - Avoidable Contact - Road & Track

RedTele58 05-18-2014 10:51 AM

When they started wrapping them in hot fluorescent pink wheels... :D

jsceash 05-18-2014 11:19 AM

When they stopped sounding like sports cars, and when there are more automatic made than sticks.

Perfectlap 05-18-2014 11:43 AM

When Mazda figured out how to make a two seater with an automatic transmission and low maintenace requirements. <---- chick car defined.

Today the ultimate chick car is the Range Rover. Or whatever SUV the lady's budget can accomodate.

Also, the author replied to that woman that the Miata was the winningest car in SCCA history. A better reply would have been the Miata is by far the most commonly found car at any track day or autocross from LA to NY. It is the perfect car for motorsports, you can use all of the power all of the time without ending up teets up and unlike German sports cars, the engines can rev high without breaking or requiring costly rebuilds as a regular part of long-term maintenance. I often wonder why one of the Japanese car makers didn't simply clone the Boxster outright and offer it half the price. Instead we got some cars that were close but not really the same. Either too small, an engine that ran a bit too much like regular car at the low end, or had the engine in the wrong place.

BIGJake111 05-18-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 400870)
When Mazda figured out how to make a two seater with an automatic transmission and low maintenace requirements. <---- chick car defined.

Today the ultimate chick car is the Range Rover. Or whatever SUV the lady's budget can accomodate.

Also, the author replied to that woman that the Miata was the winningest car in SCCA history. A better reply would have been the Miata is by far the most commonly found car at any track day or autocross from LA to NY. It is the perfect car for motorsports, you can use all of the power all of the time without ending up teets up and unlike German sports cars, the engines can rev high without breaking or requiring costly rebuilds as a regular part of long-term maintenance. I often wonder why one of the Japanese car makers didn't simply clone the Boxster outright and offer it half the price. Instead we got some cars that were close but not really the same. Either too small, an engine that ran a bit too much like regular car at the low end, or had the engine in the wrong place.

True, aside from the s2k which you still had to rev out the butt, i feel that the eastern manufactures missed a great chance. Maybe a baby nsx would work well. Toyota has proven they can make good cars despite the fact i still have no draw to the gt86 or any lexus with an f in its name, however im sure they could spit out something nice, besides isn't it toyota that is beating the 919 and the audis both?

Ian c 05-18-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 400861)
When they started wrapping them in hot fluorescent pink wheels... :D

No , that's hairdressers .
After all , it was seen outside a salon :rolleyes:

healthservices 05-18-2014 02:01 PM

When they allowed women drive them!

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...aemlins/no.gif

JayG 05-18-2014 02:22 PM

No problem them being girl cars. Got the Boxster for my wife and she wont drive it, so I get to. Her loss, my gain

BIGJake111 05-18-2014 02:26 PM

They stopped being men's cars when men stopped being men and what other people thought began to matter to them, hence your still a guy unless you drive a lifted 250 that blows smoke out the back. Because whenever that "guy" brags about his anatomy that is all he is doing, blowing smoke.

All this aside I think Porsches come best in his and hers pairs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ian c 05-18-2014 02:29 PM

Some would say they got diluted when they added water .....

Ian c 05-18-2014 02:31 PM

And in answer to the original question .
I'd say round about the time the Internet became popular ....

thstone 05-18-2014 04:05 PM

When they gave the 986 a cutesy, fun, play-on-words, oh-so-friendly nickname like .... Boxster. :barf:

From that moment, the 986 was doomed to be a chick car .

thstone 05-18-2014 04:07 PM

Here is the Chick Car Index;

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps53bc3030.jpg

Read the whole report at: Chick Cars: The Scientific Report. | Grasping for Objectivity

Perfectlap 05-18-2014 04:16 PM

^I call BS on any manual transmission car on that list. LOL.

Even though that person spelled Boxster wrong I have to agree on the 90's MOooostang.
That was every high school girl's dream in 1990 America. By 1999 it was Cherokee LTD.

BIGJake111 05-18-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 400915)

Trucks need to be significantly higher and the 90s mustang lower, i don't know a single girl that drives a 90s mustang while i know several with 05 to newer. In general females dont like 90s anything, that is how we win back the boxster, girls tend to like new shiny things. However, seriously the trucks need to be way higher up, the truck split is nearly 40/60. As well as the charger, i know a many a female that drive a charger over an accord in a trade out for sportiness over quality.

Ian c 05-18-2014 04:34 PM

Where's the frickin Prius ?
Every day I have to slow down to 75 as some doddering do-gooder hogs the lanes .
Electric cars should be outlawed from the road whilst I'm commuting to work and back .

JayG 05-18-2014 05:07 PM

I would not call a Tesla Roadster a chick car or for that matter the Tesla Sedan either
And both of them are incredibly fast

BIGJake111 05-18-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 400925)
Where's the frickin Prius ?
Every day I have to slow down to 75 as some doddering do-gooder hogs the lanes .
Electric cars should be outlawed from the road whilst I'm commuting to work and back .

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1400462727.jpg

Ian c 05-18-2014 05:32 PM

Although the only tesla roadster I've seen on the road was driven by a female , my commute is at 5:30am and 3:00pm on the 405 .
Pickups and Prius .... Every time ... Guaranteed .
And I've never seen a 918 on the road . Yet .

Tucker2 05-18-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 400901)
No problem them being girl cars. Got the Boxster for my wife and she wont drive it, so I get to. Her loss, my gain

*Exactly* the same for me!!! LOL.