Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Drove the New Macan 'S' tonight!

I attended the unveiling of the Macan tonight at an upscale restaurant. They had three on display. Two Macan 'S', and one Turbo. They had 19, 20, and 21 inch wheels. I was pleasantly surprised that the 21's looked great! I did not expect that.

I drove in a caravan, me in the middle, sales manager in front in the Turbo, and one of his sales guys bringing up the rear. Porsche has done an amazing job on this 'Sports Car' SUV. The brakes and PDK transmission are the best I have felt yet. Just perfect. The driving was aggressive so I had to be sure of myself, and since it felt like a Porsche the adjustment period was seconds. It feels like a tank, by that I mean solid. It has great low end torque and surges ahead effortlessly. I was very impressed with how quiet it was. Little body lean and very nimble. Turn ins were a little late but it is an SUV so that is expected. Ride is firm but mainly in the back seats where you sit very close to the wheels. This one didn't have PASM so it will be interesting to drive one that does. Folks 6 feet tall will have tight head room in the back.

If you get a chance to test drive one....DO!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #2

Yep, I think Porsche will have a winner with this SUV.

But as sportscar fans, this is about the worst thing that we could have ever hoped for. Porsche doesn't car about making sportscars anymore. We are irrelevant.

/
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #3

Porsche does care about sports cars and they make these to help fund it. I have always HATED SUV's till the Macan. Unfortunately I didn't look at it at the NYAS so I'll check it at a PCA meeting. I think this is as close to a rally car in disguise as Porsche has come. All wheel drive, slap a couple rally lights on the front grill area and bam.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #4

Lucky ya.

Wrong thing to do with new cars imo... I don't know about some of you but every single 'special' cars I get to try (new or modded) I always end up wanting it x2

Hate this Macan car especially. Mother in law already mentioned twice about it and as a Pcar enthousiast myself I see it in some ways somehow..... as if she wants me to buy her one :/

had to vent sorry lol
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

Garage
I like them but I remember seeing some number that 70percent of Macan haven't owned a Porsche before.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

SUV's, sedans, and now a crossover? Oh, Porsche...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-16-2014 at 06:36 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #7

Doubters should watch this...Porsche makes Panameras, Cayennes and now, Macans, so they can make and improve Boxsters, Caymans and 991s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLu-Q5_S3c
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #8

This post made me register.

Ok, I get the Cayenne. I get why Porsche built it and sell it. I know the market they were wanting to hit, it makes sense. Porsche has always been very logical (German trait? :P ) in their products.

What I can't seem to figure out is who they build the Macan for? What's its purpose?
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Yep, I think Porsche will have a winner with this SUV.

But as sportscar fans, this is about the worst thing that we could have ever hoped for. Porsche doesn't car about making sportscars anymore. We are irrelevant.

/
Porsche stopped being Steve McQueen a long time ago.

They're now a luxury car brand that make two sports cars on the side.
The Boxster/Cayman and the Carrera. And one toy for billionaires the 918.

When you think about it that's exactly what BMW, Merc and Audi do as well.
Most of their business comes from the same, SUVs, little SUVs and sedans, coupes. Actually you could make the argument that Porsche sell one sports car (akin to the 550 or 911), the Boxster/Cayman and that the Carrera, given how deep its gone into the grand touring category, is now the Panamera coupe. The 911 of the air-cooled era was not a grand touring car nor did it makes its legend as one. The Boxster/Cayman are more like Steve's 911 than the 991.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-16-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Porsche stopped being Steve McQueen a long time ago.

They're now a luxury car brand that make two sports cars on the side.
The Boxster/Cayman and the Carrera. And one toy for billionaires the 918.

When you think about it that's exactly what BMW, Merc and Audi do as well.
Most of their business comes from the same, SUVs, little SUVs and sedans, coupes. Actually you could make the argument that Porsche sell one sports car, the Boxster/Cayman and that the Carrera, given how deep its gone into the grand touring category, is now the Panamera coupe. The 911 of the air-cooled era was not a grand touring car nor did it makes it legend as one.

On this we agree.

Funding sportscars? Ha ha ha ha.

Porsche's next major release will be a mini-Panamera to further compete against Mercedes and BMW (and Audi)... although I am holding out for the pick-up truck...

/
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post

Ok, I get the Cayenne. I get why Porsche built it and sell it. I know the market they were wanting to hit, it makes sense. Porsche has always been very logical (German trait? :P ) in their products.

What I can't seem to figure out is who they build the Macan for? What's its purpose?
To sell metric arse tons, same as why everyone else made a compact SUV. My philosophy is as long as Porsche keeps making the best of whatever it may be in the market I'm happy. Maybe you say SUVs shouldn't be made like sports cars, but it was pretty stupid to make a sporty rear engine VW beetle called a Porsche as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post

For me it would work great as a daily driver and heck some mountain twisty runs too. The Cayenne simply is more vehicle than I would want to be in. The Macan appeals to me. Not too big, not to small. Easy access, nimble, sure footed, and really comfy.

I understand the complaints/frustration with Porsche's direction. With these non-sport car vehicles some might think they are a sell out to the masses but they still never build anything but very sport minded vehicles. I've driven the BMWs in the same class and they really don't compare to the Macan.

I think they stand by their principles to make the best handling vehicles in the world. I've owned an E350 and it simply wasn't as sporty as the Panamara.

Set aside concerns with their direction and test drive one. You’ll probably like and appreciate it.

Don’t get me wrong, I do understand the frustrations with PDK taking over, 911s getting bigger, electric steering and likely all the move to SUVs and big sedans is pushing this.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I do understand the frustrations with PDK taking over, 911s getting bigger, electric steering and likely all the move to SUVs and big sedans is pushing this.
Even though the 991 is bigger than the 993, it actually weighs in (curb weight) about 150lbs less.
---------
The current crop of Porsche sportscars (981/991) are the best they've put out in for overall cars in quality and performance (IMO). Sure they make two SUVs and a sedan, but we also now have a Boxster/Cayman GTS, potentially a Cayman GT4, and a wicked sweet 911 Targa (among the myriad of variations currently available).

Don't forget that Porsche was very close to bankruptcy not all that long ago. Wider variations in products appeal to a wider consumer group, and helps to keep things afloat when sportscar sales are down.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
I attended the unveiling of the Macan tonight at an upscale restaurant. They had three on display. Two Macan 'S', and one Turbo. They had 19, 20, and 21 inch wheels. I was pleasantly surprised that the 21's looked great! I did not expect that.

I drove in a caravan, me in the middle, sales manager in front in the Turbo, and one of his sales guys bringing up the rear. Porsche has done an amazing job on this 'Sports Car' SUV. The brakes and PDK transmission are the best I have felt yet. Just perfect. The driving was aggressive so I had to be sure of myself, and since it felt like a Porsche the adjustment period was seconds. It feels like a tank, by that I mean solid. It has great low end torque and surges ahead effortlessly. I was very impressed with how quiet it was. Little body lean and very nimble. Turn ins were a little late but it is an SUV so that is expected. Ride is firm but mainly in the back seats where you sit very close to the wheels. This one didn't have PASM so it will be interesting to drive one that does. Folks 6 feet tall will have tight head room in the back.

If you get a chance to test drive one....DO!
I just received an email about the Macan unveiling at our local dealership here in Austin next Thursday evening, I live only a few miles from the dealership. I may have an opportunity.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
For me it would work great as a daily driver and heck some mountain twisty runs too. The Cayenne simply is more vehicle than I would want to be in. The Macan appeals to me. Not too big, not to small. Easy access, nimble, sure footed, and really comfy.

I understand the complaints/frustration with Porsche's direction. With these non-sport car vehicles some might think they are a sell out to the masses but they still never build anything but very sport minded vehicles. I've driven the BMWs in the same class and they really don't compare to the Macan.

I think they stand by their principles to make the best handling vehicles in the world. I've owned an E350 and it simply wasn't as sporty as the Panamara.

Set aside concerns with their direction and test drive one. You’ll probably like and appreciate it.

Awesome, thanks for your feedback. I have no problems with Porsche and their direction. Hell, I've owned two 924s They are a business, they want to make money. If they want to compete on the compact suv market, then more power to them, especially if they dominate it. hah.

What I was trying to understand is the demographic of the person that would buy this vehicle. Maybe I just can't grasp the reason for the compact suv market, period.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Even though the 991 is bigger than the 993, it actually weighs in (curb weight) about 150lbs less.
---------
The current crop of Porsche sportscars (981/991) are the best they've put out in for overall cars in quality and performance (IMO). Sure they make two SUVs and a sedan, but we also now have a Boxster/Cayman GTS, potentially a Cayman GT4, and a wicked sweet 911 Targa (among the myriad of variations currently available).

Don't forget that Porsche was very close to bankruptcy not all that long ago. Wider variations in products appeal to a wider consumer group, and helps to keep things afloat when sportscar sales are down.
I failed to mention these aren't my frustrations. I have a 981, drive a 991 whenever I want and soon will have the same opportunity with the Macan. I know a lot of folks though feel Porsche have lost sight of the what the purists want. I’ve owned a 986 and 987, awesome cars but with time I’ve grown to appreciate what the 981 offers and allows me to do. To me though they haven’t lost sight of making cars that keep up with the competition’s lap times just maybe not with the same feel as before.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Oh, what a slippery slope...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #18

Is it a Boxster 986 ?
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Oh, what a slippery slope...

Id hate to rain on everyones parade, but a bit of a Porsche Ute would be amazing, as long as its lightweight and can smoke anything else, thats pretty chill haha.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Id hate to rain on everyones parade, but a bit of a Porsche Ute would be amazing, as long as its lightweight and can smoke anything else, thats pretty chill haha.
Yeah....seriously.....my wife is dieing for a truck in the family. Not SUV/X-Over. Full on F150 truck. Maybe twisted....but I'd buy that. "Yeah Mr. Lowes Dude....put all that crap in the bed of my Porsche. I'll sling it all out when I hit the on-ramp." LOL.