Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
Awesome, thanks for your feedback. I have no problems with Porsche and their direction. Hell, I've owned two 924s They are a business, they want to make money. If they want to compete on the compact suv market, then more power to them, especially if they dominate it. hah.

What I was trying to understand is the demographic of the person that would buy this vehicle. Maybe I just can't grasp the reason for the compact suv market, period.
Really? Well, I can speak for myself. I am married, 2 small kids, live in the mountains and wanted something all-wheel drive, higher clearance than a sedan, but nothing near the size of a cayenne, q9, x5, escalade, etc. I bought an x3. Car has handled every family trip taken, and is comfortable. Personally, I don't see this market to be very different than sedan owners. If I lived at a lower elevation, I'd consider a sedan, although I do appreciate the space provided by the SUV with the seats down. I also have a 981 for the trips without the kids. I'd guess the compact SUV market is a sub-market for SUVs that just don't like or need the real estate of the large SUV. As for my buying habits, I ordered my first 987 and waited 6 months. Went in to discuss trade a few years later, and they had a launch 997.2S on the lot; I picked that up. Went in to trade that one, and they had a 981 on the lot that I liked. When it came to the X3 I bought it after test driving a different one. I wasn't too picky about it, so I found one at a nearby dealer.

And... anyone with the May Panarama could tell you that March 2014 deliveries were 329 (Boxster), 887 (Carrera), 288 (Caymen), and 442 (Panamera) = 1946. Now, Cayenne deliveries were 1862. Sales, excluding Cayennes, were down 2%.

As has been said, company exists to make a profit. I'd have considered a Macan if it was out when I was buying.

Last edited by cfos; 05-16-2014 at 06:09 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Really? Well, I can speak for myself. I am married, 2 small kids, live in the mountains and wanted something all-wheel drive, higher clearance than a sedan, but nothing near the size of a cayenne, q9, x5, escalade, etc. I bought an x3. Car has handled every family trip taken, and is comfortable. Personally, I don't see this market to be very different than sedan owners. If I lived at a lower elevation, I'd consider a sedan, although I do appreciate the space provided by the SUV with the seats down. I also have a 981 for the trips without the kids. I'd guess the compact SUV market is a sub-market for SUVs that just don't like or need the real estate of the large SUV.
An SUV that makes sense haha. Something a bit more tame for the rest of the motorist. Can't say how much I would pay to wipe all the Tahoe/expedition/explorer/yukons and dare I add broncos off the road. Rarely do these people utilize all the seats, not only do they not go offroad but most of these listed are not capable off road, they guzzle gas, which is bad enough when actually being utalized in a sports car but much worse when in a useless several thousand pounds too heavy SUV. More cup holders than anyone could ever need aside from a true McDonald's conisour. Why can't I live in Germany where people carry family's around in panameras and cls shooting breaks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
An SUV that makes sense haha. Something a bit more tame for the rest of the motorist. Can't say how much I would pay to wipe all the Tahoe/expedition/explorer/yukons and dare I add broncos off the road. Rarely do these people utilize all the seats, not only do they not go offroad but most of these listed are not capable off road, they guzzle gas, which is bad enough when actually being utalized in a sports car but much worse when in a useless several thousand pounds too heavy SUV. More cup holders than anyone could ever need aside from a true McDonald's conisour. Why can't I live in Germany where people carry family's around in panameras and cls shooting breaks.

Yeah, a heck of a lot more sense than a pickup -- assuming your judgement is based on utility, right? I mean unless it's a work truck, how much time is the flatbed occupied?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #24

Quote:
A Why can't I live in Germany where people carry family's around in panameras and cls shooting breaks.

Europe's most popular cars - Telegraph

Hate to break it to you, but it looks like Ford is more popular in Europe.

Doh!

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2014/05/10/germany-april-2014-vw-tiguan-passes-passat-to-2-year-to-date/
Old 05-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #25

How I imagine BigJake in Germany...

Quote:

Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Big difference between a Mondero and a massive american suv. As for the truck, you need to haul the track car down behind something, sure would be nice to haul it behind a Porsche rather than a f150.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Big difference between a Mondero and a massive american suv. As for the truck, you need to haul the track car down behind something, sure would be nice to haul it behind a Porsche rather than a f150.
Uh... I don't think all these people are hauling Porsches... or need these for work.

Ford Tops Resurgent U.S. Car Industry, 2013 Sales Results Show : The Two-Way : NPR

"How are ya gonna keep 'em on the farm after they've seen Karl Hungus?"

Last edited by cfos; 05-16-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Really? Well, I can speak for myself. I am married, 2 small kids, live in the mountains and wanted something all-wheel drive, higher clearance than a sedan, but nothing near the size of a cayenne, q9, x5, escalade, etc. I bought an x3. Car has handled every family trip taken, and is comfortable. Personally, I don't see this market to be very different than sedan owners. If I lived at a lower elevation, I'd consider a sedan, although I do appreciate the space provided by the SUV with the seats down. I also have a 981 for the trips without the kids. I'd guess the compact SUV market is a sub-market for SUVs that just don't like or need the real estate of the large SUV. As for my buying habits, I ordered my first 987 and waited 6 months. Went in to discuss trade a few years later, and they had a launch 997.2S on the lot; I picked that up. Went in to trade that one, and they had a 981 on the lot that I liked. When it came to the X3 I bought it after test driving a different one. I wasn't too picky about it, so I found one at a nearby dealer.

And... anyone with the May Panarama could tell you that March 2014 deliveries were 329 (Boxster), 887 (Carrera), 288 (Caymen), and 442 (Panamera) = 1946. Now, Cayenne deliveries were 1862. Sales, excluding Cayennes, were down 2%.

As has been said, company exists to make a profit. I'd have considered a Macan if it was out when I was buying.
I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the reply. For the record, I have 2kids and a photography business. I bought a ford flex full load as it can carry kids and grand parents, as well as brides and camera bags. 2nd vehicle is an 2nd gen pathfinder. I get the SUV market, but I just can see me buying a compact SUV (even though the pathfinder is likely close to the same size as the macan/x3).
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #29

Quote:
I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the reply. For the record, I have 2kids and a photography business. I bought a ford flex full load as it can carry kids and grand parents, as well as brides and camera bags. 2nd vehicle is an 2nd gen pathfinder. I get the SUV market, but I just can see me buying a compact SUV (even though the pathfinder is likely close to the same size as the macan/x3).
Stylistically, I like the Ford Flex, although I found it to be a bit long (for my family and needs). I actually like Ford, as a whole, and do appreciate the recent Mustang models. I did not care for the Edge, nor what the Escape has become. I see nothing wrong with the Explorer, although they have been growing a lot larger over the years. I've liked the older pathfinder models although think the current generation (not sure of the number) is a bit big (for me and mine). "They" say the the current BMW x3 is the same size as the original x5 that came out years ago. I had considered the Range Rover sport, although it was a little bigger, little more money, and I have little faith in their reliability. As we've both said, I think it depends on needs and I don't have my own business, nor the need for the extra row of seats so the small SUV (SAV) market is where I fall. I still don't understand the pickup market, though. I'm going to see the Macan tomorrow after a local PCA rally. I'm curious about it, but not in the market for another 6-7 years. I'll see what it's become then.

Last edited by cfos; 05-16-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The most active thread on the 986 forum is about an SUV.

I'm sad
Old 05-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
How is the quality on the flex, father is interested in one as an additional car? I quite like the styling.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #32
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Oh, what a slippery slope...

Oh LORD! You didn't. I have been on a Macan high and that just ruined it.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

I'm sad
Sorry life has been boring since I sold the 986. Ya I get to do the occasional oil change. It seems though all my days have been filled with having to just drive the 981. I figured a lot of the Boxster guys have other halves that want to drive a porsche too, it beats looking at mini vans. Oh and please no one post a picture of a mini van with a porsche front end!!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

I'm sad
Couple that with the fact that Porsche has gone out of its way to ensure that its most sporty and nimble chassis (Boxster/Cayman) are always fitted with lowest power engines. I think it an abomination that the top of the line Macan/Cayenne/Panamera will trounce a Cayman GTS on the straights. It's pathetic...they have all of the ingredients to build an absolute world killer, but instead they make just potent enough to maintain its slight lead in its class.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Couple that with the fact that Porsche has gone out of its way to ensure that its most sporty and nimble chassis (Boxster/Cayman) are always fitted with lowest power engines.
Maybe Porsche realizes that a car with a lighter, more sporty and nimble chassis doesn't need as much power... .
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #36

Quote:
How is the quality on the flex, father is interested in one as an additional car? I quite like the styling.
Quality so far is good. We bought it used with 50k km and have put 12k km on in the past year. No major issues. It's our first domestic. The interior is nice, sound system sounds great and it rides ultra quiet. The echoboost versions are factory lowered and quick. Very little body roll. My Subaru enthusiast friend (turbo wrx with coilovers, etc) was quite impressed with power and handling. Wife loves it too. Lots of room for kids and friends. I had a hard no on a minivan and the wife wanted 7 seats with car seat requirements (forward facing seats in the 3rd row). Didn't leave too many cars to choose from. I've always loved the flex. Sad though, could have bought her a crappy mini van and a boxster for the price we paid. Lol price of safety I guess. Major nit pick is how low the doors are and keeping the internal door seem clean.

Sorry to hear about your loss Jake.

Last edited by spencerb; 05-17-2014 at 07:38 AM.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Maybe Porsche realizes that a car with a lighter, more sporty and nimble chassis doesn't need as much power... .
....:rolle yes:..maybe you should spend less time rolling your eyes and go buy a Miata Joe.

1) Sports cars are not about "need"...they are the antithesis of utilitarian.
2) Porsche deliberately neuters the Boxster/Caymen line every year to maintain their model hierarchy.
3) Go drive a Carrera S and ask yourself if it would be as much fun with 100bhp less...I mean it doesn't need 400bhp.

I love these cars, but I'm not such a fanboy that I won't admit that the chassis of every model year would happily handle quite a bit more power than that which they were offered. I would not say the samething about the other models.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
....:rolle yes:..maybe you should spend less time rolling your eyes and go buy a Miata Joe.

1) Sports cars are not about "need"...they are the antithesis of utilitarian.
2) Porsche deliberately neuters the Boxster/Caymen line every year to maintain their model hierarchy.
3) Go drive a Carrera S and ask yourself if it would be as much fun with 100bhp less...I mean it doesn't need 400bhp.

I love these cars, but I'm not such a fanboy that I won't admit that the chassis of every model year would happily handle quite a bit more power than that which they were offered. I would not say the samething about the other models.
Its all a measuring contest, these companies are all about getting the numbers, faster than whoever they compete with. Porsche keeps good feeling in their cars and all, worst case example being the GT-R for speed but no feeling. Back in the day car companies didnt care so much about numbers and thats why i think they all had alot more character.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Quality so far is good. We bought it used with 50k km and have put 12k km on in the past year. No major issues. It's our first domestic. The interior is nice, sound system sounds great and it rides ultra quiet. The echoboost versions are factory lowered and quick. Very little body roll. My Subaru enthusiast friend (turbo wrx with coilovers, etc) was quite impressed with power and handling. Wife loves it too. Lots of room for kids and friends. I had a hard no on a minivan and the wife wanted 7 seats with car seat requirements (forward facing seats in the 3rd row). Didn't leave too many cars to choose from. I've always loved the flex. Sad though, could have bought her a crappy mini van and a boxster for the price we paid. Lol price of safety I guess. Major nit pick is how low the doors are and keeping the internal door seem clean.

Sorry to hear about your loss Jake.
Is the third row stow and go, or removable or something haha?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #40

Stop saying sports car SUV!!!! there's no such thing!! lol

When is Porsche going to unveil the new new minivan dragster ?

polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote