Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ashmyster79
What wheels?

I am thinking of changing the wheels on my car. I think black and blue comes across dull and dark. What so you guys think. Should I stick with the black wheels or sell them and get some Turbo looking ones?

Ashmyster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Garage
I have black wheels on my blue car, but understand what you're saying. One of the nicest looking combinations I've seen here is white wheels on a blue car (with some other white accents) -- looks excellent. Just an idea.

I'm just not good enough to keep them looking white :-)
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Could repaint them silver or use Plasti-Dip if you wanted to keep those wheels.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
I have black wheels on my blue car, but understand what you're saying. One of the nicest looking combinations I've seen here is white wheels on a blue car (with some other white accents) -- looks excellent. Just an idea.

I'm just not good enough to keep them looking white :-)
I agree. When I was younger white wheels had just come out or were new concept at the time. White wheels would look great I know. I always liked the wheels in the pic though so am unsure. Was thinking if I sold mine for a good price I can offset that against the new ones.

Painting them is a good idea but not sure these are a great looking wheel and or how much it would cost to do as apposed to new wheels.

It's not urgent just want to liven the car up a bit. I admit the car looks better in person than pictures.

Thanks for the messages :-)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmyster79 View Post
I agree. When I was younger white wheels had just come out or were new concept at the time. White wheels would look great I know. I always liked the wheels in the pic though so am unsure. Was thinking if I sold mine for a good price I can offset that against the new ones.

Painting them is a good idea but not sure these are a great looking wheel and or how much it would cost to do as apposed to new wheels.

It's not urgent just want to liven the car up a bit. I admit the car looks better in person than pictures.

Thanks for the messages :-)
I'm always a little baffled as to why people post things like, what wheels should I buy, what color should I paint my calipers, does this bumper look good, etc. I just don't see why anyone would customize their car according to someone else's tastes. It's your car - do what you think looks good. What does it matter what someone else thinks?Why do you care about the opinions of a bunch of people on a forum that you will probably never meet and that will never see your car?

Every change I make, I make because I like it. I don't give a rat's back end about what anyone else thinks.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #6

Garage
No harm in asking opinions. I'm sure you have done and bought things on recommendations of friends/ work colleagues or clients. I may not meet anyone on here but there is no harm in asking opinions or views. Maybe someone will come up with a suggestion which I had not thought about. If I just did what I like I would mod my car with a few machine guns and go faster stripes.

It was a harmless post. Apologies for it offending you.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

Wasn't offended, it was just an observation. Maybe I came across a little harsher than I intended.

Sorry if if sounded critical.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #8

Garage
Are the wheel you have on just Plastic dipped. Can that just be removed. They are a standard Porsche wheel normally polished aluminum look.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #9

Garage
For me, from a distance, the black wheels remind me of folks who lose a hubcap and don't replace them Like you mentioned, it looks dull and dark. If there is a polished lip, that helps but otherwise, the tire and the rim become one. Personally, I like silver, especially on a blue car, of course that is what I have Take a look at this thread for lots of ideas:

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/28182-post-pics-boxsters-rims.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
petrol head

Garage
These look good imo, not too much black and just enough silver
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by always porsche View Post
These look good imo, not too much black and just enough silver
I would agree
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
For me, from a distance, the black wheels remind me of folks who lose a hubcap and don't replace them Like you mentioned, it looks dull and dark. If there is a polished lip, that helps but otherwise, the tire and the rim become one. Personally, I like silver, especially on a blue car, of course that is what I have Take a look at this thread for lots of ideas:

I totally agree with BruceH. The wheel gets lost in with the tire and wheel well all being the same. The Boxster is a fairly plain car and the wheels are one area where you can really liven things up. Bright silver or white (with polished accents) would be my choice. But as pointed out you are the final arbiter of that decision. Do post us pics of what you decided on as it is always interesting to see what others do, and, as you pointed out, make suggestions that you hadn't thought about or even knew existed. Have fun.
AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Are the wheel you have on just Plastic dipped. Can that just be removed. They are a standard Porsche wheel normally polished aluminum look.
Not sure to be honest. I think they are as one of them has a chip and is silver colour underneath so could work. A mate of mine is a sprayer who has just sprayed my ford Kuga door ice white so have asked him if it is possible. If so watch this space as I will spray these wheels. Could be a cheaper plan.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post

Cheers Bruce

You are right. It just blends in to one and looks like a black mess. Can't see what wheels they are from afar. I will check the link
Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

If black on blue is too subdued, I have to ask: How much do you want to stand out? Remember that blue GT-3's come with red wheels. Also, yellow or white wheels might look good. Again, depends on what look you're trying to acheive.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #16

Stand out? Nahhhh, that's only for puss right?!

I say "Go-Go" black wheels mate. Just make sure your wheel is gloss colour with a matte (clean) tyres and it should all look better than any other wheels (like yours as they are). Regardless of your car colour I think. With city-lights reflections, on gloss-blk wheels, this is where those set-up really shines like no others. Unless of course you are the kind of guy who lives in the wood/mountains then white wheels could also be nice lol

The tire blending with the wheels comments; don't believe!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

"Perfect" photo!

This is a good example of my thinking-- that light/bright colored cars look good with dark wheels, and darker paint cars look good with silver/lighter toned wheels.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #18

Black wheels looks nice on any car colors imo. In fact, some of the nicest set-up I've seen were on dark color cars e.g. "black-on-black".

The problem with black wheels is maintenance. It needs to be "clean" at all time, calipers and rotors included, for the set-up to look elegant e.g. that performance look some wants. That said.... forget the idea of black wheels if your car is a DD.

I'll agree that there is nothing worst than those cars with "matte finish" wheels and tires(rubbers) chronically suffering from those little cute commercial tire products (gray) built-up. Unfortunately there are far more of those silly looking set-up than any others.... and that is possibly the reason many disagree on the black wheels look.

Gloss finish black wheels with "raw/clean" rubber finish tires - is the key - that for any car colors. Very simple.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #19

One trick some professional detailer gave me a few years back to restore tires/rubber to original color: (Take this seriously, this guy is known to the community today)

1) 75% WD-40 diluted in 25% water
2) Mix in a pot, microwave until very hot
3) With a brush, scrub those tires for about 5~10 min each
4) Leave on for 15~30min (don't rinse)
5) Wash with dish detergent (the WD-40 completely dissolved in dish washer soap).
6) Rinse with cold tap water

You got yourself some brand new looking (RAW) looking tires.

Forget those cute auto-store cleaners and dressing tire related rubbish. Despite what they say on the flashy labels, they are unfortunately all dust magnet and create a built-up that eventually turns your tire gray color (some even flakes off rubbers)
Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmyster79 View Post
I think this would look amazing on a darker blue like yours