Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

Garage
Additional brake light

Learned something today. It's called the additional brake light. For American car enthusiasts, it's called th Center High Mount Stop Light.

Anyway, had a light or two out so I pulled out the assembly. The plastic part that holds the bulbs in, is almost too cracked to reassemble. I think I may be able to pull it off. Especially when I found that part 986 631 050 00 looks to be the entire assembly and it costs over $100. I guess I should be looking in the other section of this forum to see if anybody is parting their car out.

Also, there are 7 bulbs. They know that these bulbs are sold in packs of 2. It's the hot dog / bun argument all over again!

No questions, just bored on a Sunday and thought I'd share.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #2

Garage
No good news. When I removed the bulbs, it destroyed the integrity of the unit and it disintegrated. Note: When replacing bulbs on this, do it one bulb at a time.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Garage
Take a look at upgrading to an LED one:
Porsche 986 Boxster s Clear Silver LED 3rd Brake Light | eBay
The link is to the clear, but you can get red or smoked if you prefer. Someone on here(can't remember who) bought one and seemed to be happy.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Garage
Appreciate it. It's funny thought that I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine not 10 minutes before opening this thread. We were talking about getting the updated lights and such on my 986. I told him, that I cannot do that. Because once I replace one part with something updated, I have to keep going. That means I have to deamber, get the litronics and the LEDs in the rear. Due to budget constraints, I have to be a purist. At least that's what I'm calling it. I have to keep everything original for the simple reason that I cannot afford to buy all the cool stuff.

But I found an original on Ebay for $70 and I always forget to look there when shopping for parts. And for that, I thank you.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
The link is to the clear, but you can get red or smoked if you prefer. Someone on here(can't remember who) bought one and seemed to be happy.
I have one and love it. Clear until brake is activated then it glows red. Gives a nice clean look to the rear end.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Allen K. Littlefield;395790]I have one and love it. Clear until brake is activated then it glows red. Gives a nice clean look to the rear end.

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #7

Garage
Your car looks Great. I too have Arctic Silver a 99. I just put similar muffler on my car. Have you experienced droning with it?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Your car looks Great. I too have Arctic Silver a 99. I just put similar muffler on my car. Have you experienced droning with it?
Yes it does 'drone' in the usual driving range rpms.. It is just a matter if you can live with the louder exhaust note. Both wife and I don't mind it so it is so subjective that I really can't give you any advice. Would be best if you could join up with another Boxster owner who has the muffler you would like and take a ride with them to see what your tolerance level is. I also removed the secondary cats which would have toned down the sound as those two cats would have served as mufflers. Main performance would be weight loss over hp increase (if any). Since you haven't got the secondary cats yours should sound similar to mine even if it is a 2.5 and mine is a 2.7. How do you like the sound on yours so far?

AKL
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Do 986 require "load equalizers" too?
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #10

Garage
I put the muffler on over the winter. havent driven it yet.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #11

Garage
update, have been driving with new muffler. the droning doesn't bother me I do mostly highway driving. sounds great when you get over 3000 rpms
Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #12

I also have the clear that lights red when brakes are applied...I think it gives a nice, clean look to the rear of the car. Matches the clear/red tail lights and clear side markers.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

Does it bug anyone else that both the original and the aftermarket LED versions only light up the center of a very long lens? Just seems there should be more lights or less lens!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

Odd topic

I love the Red "S" with the silver "Boxster" emblem...where did you get it ?

My "S" is ragged looking while the Boxster part is near perfect

Thanks
Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote