Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #1

Looking to get some more power

I've been toying with getting some real power out of my boxster (300+)

I've considered the intake/header/exhaust question.

For the amount of money involved i'm wondering whether i should go for a powerkt or a new engine.

What do you guys think of these options?

9ff Powerkit

or go for the big guns and run down turbos

4.0L engine

i thought about a supercharger but my research tells me that boxster's engine compartment is hot enough already!

I'm leaning towards the engine, 8500rpm of pure NA power literally sounds amazing.

brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #2

The power kit seems to be a near waste of $7500. 20HP is not nearly enough to bring that sort of price tag. I would think you could find a 3.4 or 3.6 engine for around $10K. Just my opinion but I believe at some point the horse power would throw the overall balance and handling of the car off. To me these are the reasons one would buy a boxster. If your looking for that kind of power maybe check into used 911's. If you do have an engine swap document the entire process and share the experience. Good luck w/ which ever route you decide on.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
That kit for $7500 is way overpriced. You could just buy the EVO intake and "chip" it,and receive a extra kick for alot less. By the way what year and engine do you have?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brich
I've been toying with getting some real power out of my boxster (300+)

For the amount of money involved i'm wondering whether i should go for a powerkt or a new engine.

or go for the big guns and run down turbos

I'm leaning towards the engine, 8500rpm of pure NA power literally sounds amazing.
Ummm. Yeah. I think you should definately go for the 415 HP 4.0L engine. You should check out adding turbos and possibly Nitrous to it as well. I'm sure that this board will lend you all of the support you need to make this happen.

Well, support from the standpoint that we REALLY want you to do this. Pictures of the installation would be excellent. Also photos of any resulting explosions would be nice.

But seriously, don't listen to anyone here who says not to do this. We WANT you to do this. You NEED to do this. I NEED you to do this. Please, for the love of GOD, do this!

Good luck. We're all behind you..... waaaay behind you......

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #5

A 4.0L M96 engine? I'd love to know what they want for that. I'm guessing around 20K?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquelfe
Just my opinion but I believe at some point the horse power would throw the overall balance and handling of the car off. To me these are the reasons one would buy a boxster. If your looking for that kind of power maybe check into used 911's.
Please explain how power would throw off the balance and handling of a car. Unless the power add ons add a lot of weight, I don't understand how handling or braking would be affected. If a certain car can carry 80 mph through a corner or slalom a course at x mph, the extra hp would not diminish those capabilities. The added hp might mean that you drive further from the power limit of the car (with more power in reserve) but I don't see any performance aspects being diminished by adding power. If you believe differently, please explain, I'd like to know if I'm missing something
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtch
Please explain how power would throw off the balance and handling of a car. Unless the power add ons add a lot of weight, I don't understand how handling or braking would be affected. If a certain car can carry 80 mph through a corner or slalom a course at x mph, the extra hp would not diminish those capabilities. The added hp might mean that you drive further from the power limit of the car (with more power in reserve) but I don't see any performance aspects being diminished by adding power. If you believe differently, please explain, I'd like to know if I'm missing something

On a track or autocross track your average MPH would be higher particularly down the straights so there is a greater chance of over-running the stock brakes. Also, when you get on the gas weight transfer happens. The nose lifts and the rear squats coming out of corners. More power means more weight being transfered on the back tires. That is why it is common to see upgraded brakes and stiffer suspension setups when the power goes up to counteract these things.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #8

I'm with mtch. Why is it inevitable that you will "overrun" your brakes when the S has the same brakes as the 911 which has more HP and is heavier? Further, a stiffer suspension increases weight transfer front-to-back. Most of what is presented here as fact is merely opinion or a rehash of someone else's opinion.

While a lot of people are just fine with their 2.5L engines or 3.2L engines, some people are not, and I get tired of people telling them essentially to shut up and enjoy what Porsche limited you to. Personally, I cannot think of a better (in my definition) car than a Cayman with a 3.8L dropped in. For many others, that is not the best. That is opinion.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #9

I called this company and talked to a guy about a 3.4 engine. It's customized heavily, with polished and ported heads, etc. It comes with all the intake and exhaust required for the swap, as well as a new ECU. You do have to give them your 2.5 (I asked about my 97 box) to get their website pricing of 16,500.00.

Then you have to give an authorized installer about $700 to swap it out for you.

Upsides to the 3.4 package they sell: Different RMS from what is on the car now, and a clean install with a custom engine built for racing with a 8000+ redline. Holy smokes that's high. It also cranks out 305 HP or a tad more.

You know, I realize this is more than I spent on the purchase price of my 97 two years ago, but I think I'm going to save up for it and do it in a couple of years. I've finally gotten all the interior and maintenance bugs worked out of the car... now it's time to start saving for an engine upgrade... the supercharger route will create too much heat and shorten engine life.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I called this company and talked to a guy about a 3.4 engine. It's customized heavily, with polished and ported heads, etc. It comes with all the intake and exhaust required for the swap, as well as a new ECU. You do have to give them your 2.5 (I asked about my 97 box) to get their website pricing of 16,500.00.

Then you have to give an authorized installer about $700 to swap it out for you.
Why not save that money for 'S'?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #11

Sounds like a really cool upgrade! I checked-out the website and was very impressed.

But, once you have the money saved and before you greenlight the swap-out just drive an S model (probably best to drive is a 987, 280HP S). This way you've done all the research.

best of luck
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #12

I will do that. I'm just in so deep financially with my 97 now that it's hard to consider taking a bath on it financially and starting over with another car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #13

For those who wants to drop a 3.4 in their boxster, they should test drive 99-01 996 cab to see if you are happy with the gain. I drove my buddy's 99 996 cab and didn't find much difference in power - on the street and the track.

The intake, exhaust, cat bypass, chip upgrade will get another 25hp and cost about $3K. Or Clubhead got the header, sports cat and exhaust for similar gain.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #14

I too think about getting the 3.4L upgrade in a few years but I waffle on whether it makes financial sense (Well, if driving a Porsche makes any financial sense.) Let's say I can sell my Boxster sells for $10,000 in a couple of years (maybe for alot more if the spec Boxster racing ever gets off the ground.) With the money saved for the engine upgrade, that's $27000. A quick look at Autotrader and I can get a 5 or 6 year old Boxster S with less than 40K miles on it. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboxster
For those who wants to drop a 3.4 in their boxster, they should test drive 99-01 996 cab to see if you are happy with the gain. I drove my buddy's 99 996 cab and didn't find much difference in power - on the street and the track.

The intake, exhaust, cat bypass, chip upgrade will get another 25hp and cost about $3K. Or Clubhead got the header, sports cat and exhaust for similar gain.
thanks for all the helpful responses.

I did drive a 01 996C4. I found it to be significantly brawnier than my S - maybe it was the exhaust it had, but either way, i would imagine the c4 is at least 400lbs heavier than a boxster?

Either way, i'll be keeping you guys posted.

I've also been thinking about a carrera i must admit, but by the time i get a conv optioned how i want....its a ton of $$$$$. I wonder whether id be happier with a "me too carrera" or a tricked outr csutom box that will blow away the portly, awd carrera.
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #16

A lot of money to upgrade a car...seems like some of you bought the wrong car.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenared
Further, a stiffer suspension increases weight transfer front-to-back. Most of what is presented here as fact is merely opinion or a rehash of someone else's opinion.
What? Please tell me how a more softly sprung suspension reduces weight transfer over a more stiffley sprung suspension. I can't wait to hear your explaination. You sure about that? I think common sense is at play here. With a stiffer suspsension there is less for and aft pitch as well as lateral pitching. There is a reason why higher horse cars have thicker sway bars, more heavily damped shocks, and stiffer springs than their less powerful conterparts for the reasons that I mentioned above.

Last edited by Adam; 02-21-2006 at 08:44 PM.