Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 02:55 AM   #1

Need your advice!

HI, I need some advice from the Boxster community.
I will soon be able to buy a Boxster, 99-00 model.
I will be driving it every day about 40 miles roundtrip to work.
Is this advisable for this year and vehicle?
Are there any other daily drivers here with these years or close to it?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
J

boxsterlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #2

If it's a daily driver, I'd save some more money and buy one with some warranty left on it. I'd also suggest buying an S over a 2.7... then you'll never be passed by an S and wonder if you should have bought it.

There's a host of mechanical issues with older boxsters, some are linked to mileage and others to age. You're looking at a 6 to 7 year old car, and things to look out for will be cracks in the coolant overflow tank, Oxygen sensors and the Mass Air Fuel sensor, the battery, possible rear main seal leaks, etc. Not one of these repairs is cheap.

Be very, very anal about your purchase and leave your emotional excitement about owning it at home. Insure it has a solid mechanical repair history, an owner who loved it more than life itself, and low miles. Also, don't go for the cheap boxster with higher mileage on it. That's what I did and it costs FAR more to keep it on the road later.

There are people on this forum who bought the model years you want and have had zero problems with them as daily drivers. Others, like my friend Mike here in Houston, bought a 2002 with average mileage on it and instantly had a bunch of stuff he had to fix... the wife hit the roof and asked him to get rid of the car. He now drives an Audi TT.

Not to scare you off, but the maintenance costs are higher than say, a Honda S2000 or a Miata. But, the P badge is head and shoulders above these cars and one does pay more for the badge and anything that bolts onto the car that wears that badge.

Best of luck to you in finding your Boxster! Get a Pre purchase inspection and if I were you, I'd get a 4 wheel laser alignment too, just to insure you don't buy a car with subframe damage, which is hard to determine with a PPI at a Porsche dealership. These things should cost you about $350 in total. Money well spent as any of the repairs I mentioned above will cost at least this much.

Let us know what you find.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #3

Randall speaks the truth. Suggest you do a search here on buying a used Boxster. We have a pretty impressive array of sound advice on this subject.

Best of Luck

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #4

That's such good advice by Randall that's it should be posted on a plaque. If you haven't read Randall's FAQ (see his link) I'd definately suggest it. It has good advice and it's pretty damn funny!

I have a '99 that I use as my daily driver (including in the snow). It's been a wonderful vehicle and I have yet to get tired of driving it. I would definately have gotten an "S" if I'd have thunk more about it.

Unfortunately I have run into many of the problems Randall mentioned. Luckily most were taken care of under warranty. Still, this is not a cheap car to maintain. Your ability to buy the car isn't nearly as important as your ability to own it after that. You can't just take it to "Bob's Auto Repair and Fine Dining" and get it fixed. If you have to get it fixed, you'll find that nearly every conversation with your mechanic includes the phrase, "If that sounds expensive - it is!".

If you do manage to find a low mileage Boxster, don't be fooled into thinking you don't need a warranty (that was MY mistake). There are PLENTY of certified 2000 Boxsters out there. You'll pay more, but adding a few thousand onto your purchase price now beats paying $13,000 for a new engine later. You can search this site for people who bought after market warranties. Might be good - but I'd stick with the certified Porsches.

If you follow all of this, you'll end up with a vehicle you will likely just fall in love with. Good luck and don't be shy about getting advice about any cars you find before you buy them.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #5

I'm in a situation similar to Boxsterlover's. I'm considering purchasing a Boxster to drive almost everyday. (I have another car that I would drive in snow and heavy rain.)

Among the cars I'm considering is a 98 with 17,000 miles that had the engine replaced in 2005. Does anyone have an opinion about early models with with a new engine? From what I have read on this an other forums, engine replacements in early models is not uncommon.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #6

What Randall said!

Be very clear to the person you are about to buy the car, tell them that you want all the history behind it, carFax it (even if sometimes its inaccurate, it still makes your head calm down).

PPI is the best way to go.

I am buying my car without PPI check its a 2004 with 6900 miles on it but it has the rest of the warranty and I will extend it as well so I will have my peace of mind.

Good luck with such an awesome car!
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I'm in a situation similar to Boxsterlover's. I'm considering purchasing a Boxster to drive almost everyday. (I have another car that I would drive in snow and heavy rain.)

Among the cars I'm considering is a 98 with 17,000 miles that had the engine replaced in 2005. Does anyone have an opinion about early models with with a new engine? From what I have read on this an other forums, engine replacements in early models is not uncommon.
Okay, see you're thinking with the wrong head and ignoring the advice on this thread.

Engine replacements aren't completely "uncommon" but that's mostly because replacing a P engine is potentially cheaper than fixing it.

My opinion on early models with a replaced engine is: "Let someone else buy it". Again, there are plenty of Certified Porsche Boxsters out there. You can ignore the advice and probably get away with it. But don't assume that just because you have a "new" engine you're going to be okay. I'm betting the guy who had to replace the engine out of warranty after less than 17,000 miles didn't think it would fail either.

I'm guessing that the "new" engine has a 1 to 2 year warranty. Oh, wait, it's 2006 so I'm betting it has a 1 year warranty and it's about to expire.

Let me reiterate - These cars aren't cheap to own. Could you buy the '98 for $16,000 and have that new engine last for 100,000 miles? Sure. But the real question is: Do you have an extra $13,000 for a new engine in case you're wrong?

Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #8

get at least a 2000 with the lowest possible miles. If you plant to own the thing for a while I suggest getting an S, its a big differnece. Genearlly speaking sports cars in my opinion should strive to stick to 1 pony of HP for every 100 pounds of weight. Hard to put in words but you feel it as soon as you exit a turn.

Making performance upgrades to this car is very expensive and not a big difference on paper in terms of more HP/Torque. The worst of both worlds.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #9

Hi,

IMHO, each Car has it's Merits and it's Drawbacks. Certainly Performance goes to the 2.7 and 3.2. But, that's not of paramount importance to all Owners. I didn't buy mine for Performance. I bought mine mainly as a nice, stylish, Drop Top Boulevard Cruiser. Although I have Auto-X'd it, I don't consider it my Performance Car, I have others which outperform it.

On the Downside, the later models are much more complex w/ eGas, a more responsible DME, redesigned Fuel System, etc. and consequently more expensive to fix and repairs can be more major and offer fewer DIY opportunities, this may concern you.

The 2.5 Models are bound to become the Classics and if you're planning on hanging on to it, they are the 1st True Boxster and offer 99.9% the experience - they're the Pre-A 356's of the Line Up. They will probably be the 1st to rise in Value, this may be of concern to you.

And, remember, this is the Car which Porsche Designed, later Models are improved mainly because you can't keep a Model Static and expect to increase Sales - they Have to improve. The improvements aren't so Large, only by comparison.

The Bottom Line is to buy the Best Car you can find for the Money you have to spend. You'll be much Happier with a Cremepuff 2.5 than with a cronically ailing 2.7 or 3.2. And if an appropriate Later Model doesn't come along now, there's nothing preventing you from upgrading later on. Good Luck!

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-20-2006 at 03:28 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #10

I'm in the opinion that you can buy an early model boxster and be safe, but it is a risk that's not recomended. Check w/ the previous owner to see what's been replaced. I bought a 99 model w/ 45k miles on it back in May 05. Since then i've had to replace brake pads, rotors, oil,plugs, and right now its needing 4 oxygen sensors(that's another $450 +/-). Also the convertible top is scheduled to be replaced next monday on my car. These are just a few of the things that are common replacements on cars of this age. Maybe you'll find one that these things have already been done. I've done as much of the work on the car that I could to cut down on cost so that's saved me quite a bit. I imagine I was in the same situation as yourself. I could afford to buy the boxster but had no idea what the costs of ownership would be. NOT that I regret it though. I love my car but would likely hold out for a more optioned out S model if I were to do it again.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #11

I think Mn has it right. I was not even looking for a Boxster until a friend who works at a Porsche dealership introduced me to my current car. He said "if you ever wanted a Porsche I've got a great intro car for you." It happened to be a '97 with ridiculous low miles. It had the PPI and records and I use it for a daily driver. I have put 3,000 miles on the car with no issues so far. It's been driven in snow, sub-zero weather and has been flawless to date. I do anticipate there will be issues, but for the price I will deal with them when they arise. There is simply nothing like finding excuses to drive the car whenever I can. Find the best car you can afford and treat it with respect. Don't abuse it, let it warm up before you drive with "spirit", and be prepared to invest in its future. I have no regrests buying an old one and I plan to keep it all original. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #12

yes you found a real cream puff. (you posted that pristine red 2.5 right?)

but I have to tell you. I REALLY hate this notion that the Boxster is a "intro" Porsche. Perhaps only "intro" in that a 2nd hand Boxster is very affordable and allot of car for the 2nd hand money. But Its a roadster and there's nothing about a roadster that would make it more of an "intro" car than say a coupe. A GT2/GT3/Turbo definitely not "intro. Porsches", but a standard 911 is very driveable and has the same reliability of the Boxster.

Its apples and oranges in terms of utility.

And its not just the public that put this notion out there. I read an interview with American Porsche driver Patrick Long who said that until he became a full time Factory Porsche driver, Porsche would not lease him a 911. "the apprentice drivers were given Boxsters" said Long. As if to say you upstarts get a lesser Porsche. Sounds more like brain washing to me. "your ultimate goal in life is to drive a rear engine Porsche.

The 3.4 Boxster Coupe aka "CaymanS" will put all that nonsense to bed when people realize the 911 is a beautiful car but not the ideal Porsche sports car for competition.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #13

I probably wasn't too clear in the manner I desribed my transaction. The guy who informed me about the Box knew I wasn't going to spend $80K+ for a car. He also wanted to get one of his buddies into the Porsche family, and especially with his dealership. I, like you, am a confimed Boxster fan and plan to keep this car a long time. I think I am learning the term "intro" is not appropriate to the Boxster name! I beg your forgiveness! It was, in this case, meant to convey the fact that I got my dream car without having to pay a fortune! And if those out there who are diligent and shop with intelligence...it can happen. Well put PefectLap!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

Best of luck to you in finding your Boxster! Get a Pre purchase inspection and if I were you, I'd get a 4 wheel laser alignment too, just to insure you don't buy a car with subframe damage, which is hard to determine with a PPI at a Porsche dealership. These things should cost you about $350 in total. Money well spent as any of the repairs I mentioned above will cost at least this much.

Let us know what you find.

All good advice that has been posted here; I just want to add that you should check the price of the PPI from your local dealer, as I think it varies from dealer to dealer. When I bought my '99 Boxster (from a private party), I took it to the local Porsche dealer (Woodhouse, in Omaha) for the PPI. They did the complete PPI for $100, and told me that they would apply the price of the PPI towards the bill if I bought the car and brought it back and had them do the work. That's what I did, and they honored the offer.

Doug
richardda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #15

What I'm hearing is "Calm down, look at a lot of cars, pay for a PPI and laser alignment, and choose a Porsche certified car with a warranty. Once you own the car, be prepared because repairs are expensive."

Sounds like good advice. If I may be so bold, I'm wondering which is the best price guide. I've checked KBB, NADA and Consumer Reports. I know for my current car (94 Miata M Edition) that those guides are not entirely accurate. The one person I know who owns a Boxster used the Consumer Report Guide and was happy with his deal. Because I'm new to this forum, is it considered bad form to ask others for their opinons about the price of a particular car?

Of course, I realize that I will be playing in a different league if I move from a Miata to a Boxster. An eight-year old Miata with 17,000 miles and a new engine would be snatched up very quickly at about half its original MSRP. It seems that a Boxster with that mileage and history is considered a risk.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #16

yeah those used Boxster prices vary widely.
I had a 1994 Miata as well. LOTS of mods sold it for $7,000 with 110,000 miles.
The Boxster is the only car I would have given up the Miata for. I debated giving up the miata for an S2000 for several years but never took the bait. Once I saw the Boxster up close at an autocross I didn't think it over much longer. A "best pure sports car in the world" episode on Top Gear tipped the Boxster as the best.
About a week later I bought my S.
Seeing Tiff slide the car around while laughing was all I needed to see that the Boxster was natural progression for a roadster die hard.

I frequently checked Ebay to see where the Buy it now prices were for a particular year and mileage. They were often below the private seller blue book value yet the cars still didn't sell. More of "real world" barometer me thinks.
I also watched the bids and the prices bidders seemed willing to pay.
A good deal on Ebay doesn't last too long.

p.s.
I see your in Virgina. Porsche sells allot of lease returns at auction in Manheim,PA.
Too many for the dealerships to take on for used car sale. Make a friend with a bidder who has a dealer auction license and you could save thousands.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-20-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #17

I'm new to this forum and here is pic of my 2000. I bought it used years ago and it has 59K miles on it now. Standard maintenance, tires, no other $ in it. I gotta knock on wood...oh yea - I don't let teenagers drive it... I wouldn't trade the drives around the lake in it nothing. By the way, I was at Porsche dealership today and coulda got $20k trade in value for a new one but thought why... 2000 are nice but I wish it had a cupholder
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
What I'm hearing is "Calm down, look at a lot of cars, pay for a PPI and laser alignment, and choose a Porsche certified car with a warranty. Once you own the car, be prepared because repairs are expensive."

...because I'm new to this forum, is it considered bad form to ask others for their opinons about the price of a particular car?

Of course, I realize that I will be playing in a different league if I move from a Miata to a Boxster. An eight-year old Miata with 17,000 miles and a new engine would be snatched up very quickly at about half its original MSRP. It seems that a Boxster with that mileage and history is considered a risk.
No - it's not bad form to ask others for their opinions about the price of a particular car.... We live for it!

A similar Boxster would be less than 1/2 of its MSRP. However, you're not going to find a certified Boxster with a replaced engine (at least I don't think it's possible).

Just take your time and do your homework and you'll find a great vehicle.