Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Now I'm confused. You said "and my favorite...... Open and close unlatched top by turning the key in the door (in tandem with rolling up and down the windows) "

In order to implement this feature you must obviously know that you can control the windows via the key, right? Am I missing something or are you just funning around?

Further to that, would this unit be available without this feature? I sometimes use the key to raise or lower the windows, but I don't necessarily want the top operating at the same time.

I only knew of being able to put the key in the door and turning it to open and close the window. I never knew it was possible remotely through the key.

I can definitely provide you guys with a relay that doesn't have this feature installed if that's what you prefer.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #22

When I press two long and one short on my super Porsche remote: I want my relay to unlatch the top, raise the driver side window up, and lower the passenger window to half. Carrying dogs in the Porsche sometimes you know

Where is your mate eppap btw? I'm surprised he haven't complained yet. Is he well?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
When I press two long and one short on my super Porsche remote: I want my relay to unlatch the top, raise the driver side window up, and lower the passenger window to half. Carrying dogs in the Porsche sometimes you know

Where is your mate eppap btw? I'm surprised he haven't complained yet. Is he well?

Hahahaaha! To both comments. Epapp will definitely be chiming in soon.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #24

Garage
There must be a model year difference, because my 04 S does not have this feature (that I've been able to find). Is it something that I'm doing wrong? Is there an option that you need to have or something that needs to be activated to get the windows to roll up with the remote? The feature works fine with the key in the door, but not with the remote.

Tony
Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #25

I need a turbo for that top motor. Too slow!! I've gotten soaked waiting for that thing to come up.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #26

I see now. No, the windows don't actually work with the remote. Someone just commented that it would be a great feature to implement.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I need a turbo for that top motor. Too slow!! I've gotten soaked waiting for that thing to come up.
Me too! I'm convinced it works slower when it's raining.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
The windows do work with the remote. You guys in the us just for haven't by the sounds of it.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
The windows do work with the remote. You guys in the us just for haven't by the sounds of it.
I can't imagine the feature being taken out for a specific market. How do you get them to roll up?

Maybe this is a feature that has to be activated in the ECU like the OBC. I looks like you have and anniversary edition. That's an 04, right. I have an 04 S and have not been able to find this feature.

Tony
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #30

Garage
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the support following the convertible top relay mod. I want to update everyone on the the current stock situation.

Like I mentioned, I've made four relays so far, which includes mine. I expect four more to come in sometime this week and I've ordered 25 more micro controllers. The clear bottle neck is the amount of relays I can get my hands on. I will be going to my local porsche dismantler tomorrow to pick up essentially all of their relays. I will be providing relays to those who have asked in the chronological order that I received the requests.

One caveat I forgot to mention is that I cannot reuse relays from Porsches between 97-99 as the wiring and internals are significantly different (read insanely hard to salvage). I've been working on having the relays auto recognize the year you have and redirect it's outputs and inputs accordingly. I plan on meeting up with a friend who owns a 99 to verify this works flawlessly. Until then, I cannot ship out this relay to owners of 97-99 boxsters as of yet.

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #31

Garage
'A friend' ????? Gosh, what has this thread come to...More like a husband.

I've got my own special projects on the side for my Porsche, but this degree ain't gonna get itself! DIYs probably maybe sometime soon.

I do think this relay is quite convenient, and it being plug and play makes it attractive(maybe you will eventually use an ARM so the big boys can have a play day with your code?). I just hope the '99 prototype doesn't fry my top motor :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #32

Garage
I have the 8 relays done and I'm running them through a couple tests before I ship them out. I'm working on a PDF and video to go over the features included.

As a recap of what they are:

PARKED
One-touch open/close
manual open/close
Service mode from fully opened or fully closed position

Greater than 0mph but below 20mph
one-touch open/close

Above 20mph
Disabling of all button functions

The handbrake does not need to be set for any of these functions to work.

NOTE: I've removed the function to open and close the top by turning the key in the door. The reason being that because you must keep the key in the lock/unlock position to keep the soft top moving for the 15 seconds it takes to open/close the top, it just didn't seem practical enough to keep.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #33

"NOTE: I've removed the function to open and close the top by turning the key in the door. The reason being that because you must keep the key in the lock/unlock position to keep the soft top moving for the 15 seconds it takes to open/close the top, it just didn't seem practical enough to keep. "

That's how they do it on the BMW Z4's...it wasn't too bad.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #34

Garage
So your mod does not work on 97-99 boxsters? Only after 2000? I dont feel so bad now I have a 99.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #35

Garage
The all-new Comfort Top :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
So your mod does not work on 97-99 boxsters? Only after 2000? I dont feel so bad now I have a 99.

I believe I have it working for 97-99 boxsters... I've tested it as much as I can on a lab bench but I still need to plug it into a 97-99 boxster and verify it works. That's why I can't ship the already completed relays to 97-99 boxsters yet.

It is the convertible top relays from 97-99 boxsters that I cannot reuse. I have to begin with a newer relay and make it backwards compatible.

Last edited by Shehadehd; 04-10-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #36

I'll volunteer my '99 as a test car.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #37

Garage
Waiting on that relay to test in my car as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #38

Any update on this. I am anxious to get one.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #39
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
This is timely. I was just about to post my arduino based top opener in the DIY section. It's maybe $30-$35 in parts and I've had mine in use since last March without any issues what so ever. It plugs in between the top switch, plus I ran the power to a switched +12 so it has no draw while the car is off.

It behaves the same as the power windows in that a quick push makes it fully open or close, a long press opens/closes it for the length of the press, and any length press while auto-opening/closing will cancel the auto-open/close.

It does use the bent pin, and I left the one-click parking break safety.

There are already two auto-open options available for $100-$200. I think a free open source option is the next iteration needed.
So Robo Top is $80, what are the other ones?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 05-06-2014 at 06:19 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Any update on this. I am anxious to get one.
haha, sorry. I've been replying to PMs and completely forgot to update the thread.

I've put in a couple weeks of use on my relay and some others to test their stability. So far so good. I just ordered some QA stickers to put over the seams.... Not that I expect anyone inadvertently break it by taking it apart just to see what's inside

As soon as they come in, I'll be ready to ship out to everyone. ETA is Friday or Saturday.